Nike x OFF-WHITE Collection Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

Why would they stop making these if they are still selling so well? Are there plans for new Nike/Virgil models outside of The 10?

Why would they stop making these if they are still selling so well? Are there plans for new Nike/Virgil models outside of The 10?

I assume he's going to be working on his own silhouettes... And maybe they'll do one collab here and there.

it's really just basic marketing.
building and maintaining demand is just as important and just as valuable as selling product.
Case in point - Yeezys and its precipitous fall-off

takes a great deal of restraint for a company to get out while they're ahead.
Virgil still has alot coming.

it's really just basic marketing.
building and maintaining demand is just as important and just as valuable as selling product.
Case in point - Yeezys and its precipitous fall-off

takes a great deal of restraint for a company to get out while they're ahead.
Virgil still has alot coming.

I get it, but the difference between these and Yeezys is that Virgil is using timeless designs to showcase his work... these silhouettes will never get old for consumers.

I’m down for those black AM90s too, decided to pass on the AF1. One AF1 is all I need, not a big fan of them, but those 90s are nice. wasnt hoping I’ll win a draw for the af1 to trade but no luck...not surprised.

I get it, but the difference between these and Yeezys is that Virgil is using timeless designs to showcase his work... these silhouettes will never get old for consumers.

Everything gets old.

Plus the novelty is running dry.
Do you really want 20 colourways of a collab?

Plus, I’ll bet my left nut that Virgil gets his own model soon. That I’m looking forward to.

I took it as the last off-white version of each shoe will be when its released in the black/white cw. So we'll see no more blazers, af1, am97, prestos, zoom fly, and soon to be am90...and I guess the vapor fly's. But there has been zero mention of any other cw's for the hyperdunks or AJ1 so maybe this is really it?

Serious question. Is off white getting played out?
is it exponentially growing in popularity? yes. Are there many aspects you haven't covered if you only know OW via the nike collab? perhaps.

Unlike Adidas/Kanye, there has never been a conversation about making these extremely easily available... But they do have the opportunity to go in the way of Jordan and create some GRs but still have a lot of limited pairs from time to time. That would make the most sense if the goal is to make a lot of money... There is obviously the idea of keeping things hype on the streets (if you mix good design with limited quantities it is very possible). I could see the words in quotations and production tab going across all shoes including GRs but then the more limited would be deconstructed as well as unique silhouettes.

But to be honest, I find most of the non Nike shoes by Virgil to be fairly ugly. And then you have the Cons + Mercurials, which are also a little questionable. Lol.

Unlike Adidas/Kanye, there has never been a conversation about making these extremely easily available... But they do have the opportunity to go in the way of Jordan and create some GRs but still have a lot of limited pairs from time to time. That would make the most sense if the goal is to make a lot of money... There is obviously the idea of keeping things hype on the streets (if you mix good design with limited quantities it is very possible). I could see the words in quotations and production tab going across all shoes including GRs but then the more limited would be deconstructed as well as unique silhouettes.

But to be honest, I find most of the non Nike shoes by Virgil to be fairly ugly. And then you have the Cons + Mercurials, which are also a little questionable. Lol.
Goal is to create cultural necessity and impact - bigger than demand, bigger than hype. It’s a special kind of relevance that transcends the category it plays in. Money comes from the halo / inspiration across the rest of the range. Even If they lost money on the collaboration, it would be fine (they don’t.)

Goal is to create cultural necessity and impact - bigger than demand, bigger than hype. It’s a special kind of relevance that transcends the category it plays in. Money comes from the halo / inspiration across the rest of the range. Even If they lost money on the collaboration, it would be fine (they don’t.)

If they play their cards right, they can do both is what I'm saying.

If they play their cards right, they can do both is what I'm saying.

They already have. They keep the collab pure, exclusive and choc full o hype. At the same time they have trickle down inspiration across the gr lineup and horizontal categories. They’re already doing this.

It’s trickle down cache. But it only works if the top of the pyramid remains exclusive and a beacon for what’s culturally relevant. Otherwise the whole model breaks.

Putting quotes and going decon at scale would be seriously foolish and likely never to happen given the lessons they’ve learned from adidas folly and their own miscalculations w Jordan.

My volts shipped
519253054927798273.png

They still have the AM90s and I think the blue AF1 is dropping later. The Ten silhouettes will be retired. But I don’t see why Virgil can’t continue with new silhouettes. If Virgil is done then Nike is all in with Travis Scott. Not sure Drake or Fear of God can carry the hype Off White has and for this long.

They already have. They keep the collab pure, exclusive and choc full o hype. At the same time they have trickle down inspiration across the gr lineup and horizontal categories. They’re already doing this.

It’s trickle down cache. But it only works if the top of the pyramid remains exclusive and a beacon for what’s culturally relevant. Otherwise the whole model breaks.

Putting quotes and going decon at scale would be seriously foolish and likely never to happen given the lessons they’ve learned from adidas folly and their own miscalculations w Jordan.

I don't know man. I think this Yeezy release proved they just need to be more interesting. It was the first interesting colourway and they created a base as well as a more limited pair and the limited ones were hyped. The reflectives are the first Yeezys this year which are going to go over double the retail price... And they still dropped the higher stock pair, which to a degree was purchased because people couldn't get the reflectives... You can still keep the core message while having a more accessible line which more people are able to purchase. The prices on these collabs have been really good, considering they are limited. But if they're able to create a couple of lines so that you get a GR as well as a more sought after product, it's going to feel more inclusive while maintaining streetwear legendary status. I'm not saying make 1 million plus pairs... But if you do 150-300k on the more GR and drop the hype stuff to 20k you can basically create a higher demand for the larger stock items. Heck, as long as it looks good and is unique, they can get away with making a lot and still sell out. The biggest downfall on the Adidas end with Yeezys was they just did a ton of re-releases and similar colourways and went from low stock to an insane amount of stock. I think if they had slowly ramped up release quantities and used more unique colourways to introduce the additional stock, they would be a lot more hyped. Like if instead of the yeebras or creams they went with the tans at like 200k, it would have been a different story. But everyone and their dog got the cream re-releases and then it was just fatigue. They could have played things differently. I do feel Kanye's unfortunate TV breakdowns had something to do with the drop offs. And Adidas wanted to take advantage of the situation and use Kanye's name while people still find him polarizing, in case he does something insane.

Back
Top Bottom