Nike Zoom Kobe V

the first wear test joints I thought were too crazy...But the Last ones with the sole nice and finished look great...When they add the 24, the sig, andlogo...perfect...Im loving these already...MAYBE KOBE WILL GET #5 IN HIS NEW V's....

Originally Posted by MaDMaN3500

7d11504d78013d38f207981439be8920adbfdb3.pjpg
Is there any rhyme or reason to this sole? Not really feeling it.
alien.gif

this shoe mustve had a lot of samples....
eek.gif

nd975s.jpg
pimp.gif

nike-kobe-v-2.jpg
glasses.gif

nike-zoom-kobe-5-v-sample-1-287x189.jpg
glasses.gif

nike-zoom-kobe-5-v-sample-2.jpg
eek.gif

titleimg.jpg

the only question left is..... pull-tab or no pull-tab.....? like Oh em Gee

I'm more excited for this shoe than the IVs to be honest...

** some one make an Official Kobe 5 thread. but be consistent with the updates so we can avoid repetitive questions

^I agree...i wasn't that hype about the IV's until I wore a pair and it felt like perfection...So i know these are going to be crazy...

The sole looks like heart rate monitor lines. They also have that pattern on lateral outrigger.
Kobe's known for the passion and love he has for the game of basketball. He's also one of the most calm and composed players in crunch time.
So I guess I could see the inspiration there.

The shoe looks great though. Totally seamless upper?! These things must be light as hell.
PLEASE zoom air forefoot.

Originally Posted by STORM RYDER

He's also one of the most calm and composed players in crunch time.

PLEASE zoom air forefoot.

i dont know about that... He's a Beast when it comes to 4th quarter crunch time....

and i believe its Full L Zoom.... if not fore and heel, no lunar.

damn....this shoe's production cost is looking like 2 dollars a pair....its just a sheet of plastic....
ohwell.gif

Put that in a classic Black/Purple/Gold Lakers colorway, you got a winner.

Im actually diggin these, just let the hype build in when Kobe is rockin these this fall.

wear test looked better than the "actual" one... but either one tempts me...
both looked too alike with the IVs...
IVs easily win them all

Originally Posted by reggie2k8

Originally Posted by Sole Investigator

NomadicSole21 wrote:

jmizzo wrote:
^^^^ you want Eric Avar fired off of Kobe's team....dude is a legend.....I am sure he is doing his best within the guidlines that Kobe is placing on him......wait until the final product comes out then make a decision.... I think the black ones on the left of the picture are great....just add a little gold....

More like he is doing his best within the guidelines that Nike is placing on him.
Actually Avar is designing shoes in the Innovation Kitchen, so theres really no guidelines or boundaries where he can take a shoe...hes just creating what Kobe wants.
I seriously myself cant wait for actual photos or detailed shoes, i'd hoop in them nonetheless.

I know that in the Innovation Kitchen, you have a big, free range to do a lot of things. But when it comes to making a shoe for production and Nike having to profit so much off of it, there is a limit on what you can do with a shoe.

There is a reason why the prototypes and samples that they create in the Kitchen don't make it to production. A main reason of that is because it may cost too much to take one of those prototypes and make it available to the general public.

Not to mention that the shoe has to still be decent enough design wise for Footlocker or Eastbay to distribute the shoe. If it is too crazy none of those companies would buy the shoe to sell in stores. Most people think the designers have free reign over a shoe but there are so many people that put there input on a shoe in the design process. Fellow Designers, Design Directors, Marketing, Buyers, Development, etc. It is an extensive process.

Well said. Most people don't realize everything that goes into making a shoe from conception to production in about 1-1.5 years.

Originally Posted by reggie2k8

NomadicSole21 wrote:

jmizzo wrote:
^^^^ you want Eric Avar fired off of Kobe's team....dude is a legend.....I am sure he is doing his best within the guidlines that Kobe is placing on him......wait until the final product comes out then make a decision.... I think the black ones on the left of the picture are great....just add a little gold....

More like he is doing his best within the guidelines that Nike is placing on him.
Actually Avar is designing shoes in the Innovation Kitchen, so theres really no guidelines or boundaries where he can take a shoe...hes just creating what Kobe wants.
I seriously myself cant wait for actual photos or detailed shoes, i'd hoop in them nonetheless.

I know that in the Innovation Kitchen, you have a big, free range to do a lot of things. But when it comes to making a shoe for production and Nike having to profit so much off of it, there is a limit on what you can do with a shoe.

There is a reason why the prototypes and samples that they create in the Kitchen don't make it to production. A main reason of that is because it may cost too much to take one of those prototypes and make it available to the general public.

Not to mention that the shoe has to still be decent enough design wise for Footlocker or Eastbay to distribute the shoe. If it is too crazy none of those companies would buy the shoe to sell in stores. Most people think the designers have free reign over a shoe but there are so many people that put there input on a shoe in the design process. Fellow Designers, Design Directors, Marketing, Buyers, Development, etc. It is an extensive process.

Well said. Most people don't realize everything that goes into making a shoe from conception to production in about 1-1.5 years.

Not trying to go against what you guys said, but Avar has done alot of work that wouldnt necessarily sell, or have that mass appeal. Its becausehe had the ability to do so and use his creativity as a designer to push the edge on what a basketball shoe should be.

Take the Foamposites for example. If you just ask a random John Doe what they think about the shoe, it wouldnt be all that positive. The Kobe IVs for anotherexample. Creating a high end, low top shoe for basketball is crazy talk...but once Avar and Kobe had the free ability to do so, look at what they did.

But each shoe, still continues to sell well, both pushed the edge on what a basketball shoe should be not only by the looks, but the aesthetics that go alongwith creating them. Im not saying the Inovation Kitchen is the greatest thing in the world, atleast these designers get to be really creative and get to dowhat they want even if its under certain Nike guidlines.

NomadicSole21 said

"Not trying to go against what you guys said, but Avar has done alot of work that wouldnt necessarily sell, or have that mass appeal. Its because he hadthe ability to do so and use his creativity as a designer to push the edge on what a basketball shoe should be.

Take the Foamposites for example. If you just ask a random John Doe what they think about the shoe, it wouldnt be all that positive. The Kobe IVs for anotherexample. Creating a high end, low top shoe for basketball is crazy talk...but once Avar and Kobe had the free ability to do so, look at what they did.

But each shoe, still continues to sell well, both pushed the edge on what a basketball shoe should be not only by the looks, but the aesthetics that go alongwith creating them. Im not saying the Innovation Kitchen is the greatest thing in the world, atleast these designers get to be really creative and get to dowhat they want even if its under certain Nike guidlines."

What you have to understand is that the Foamposites and ZKIV were designed under two different environments. During the 90's the basketball footwear marketwas the biggest and it was also perceived by the public to be the "coolest" market. The public wanted high tech/performance (or at least was willingto buy high tech shoes) driven basketball shoes. Nike, Adidas, and Reebok kicks were crazier design wise than modern shoes. Nike had greater freedom on whatthey could design because there was more of a market for it.

Fast forward to 2007 around the time that the ZKIV was being designed and the athletic footwear landscape is totally different. At the beginning of this decaderetro/casual footwear became the biggest market. In 2004 with the release of the Hurache 2K4 Nike realized that the public wanted clean and simple basketballshoes. The Hyperdunk and ZKIV are extensions of that shoe, that is why sell. There is nothing really cutting edge with the new Kobe like you say. It is a nicelooking shoe but creativity it is inferior to the Kobe 3 or Kobe 2. It is not a true low top like it was being marketed. There have been other high end low topkicks before, so was is special about the Kobe IV? The Basketball market is still big but it is shrinking. At the end of the day Nike is a business they willmake products that sell. Why do you think Nike is doing all these fusions, modernizing older shoes, etc because the market wants more casual inspired footwearor footwear that is reminiscent of shoes from the 90's. This public wants simple and clean basketball shoes or retro shoes, which is why the ZKIV andFoamposites sell well.

^^^ they will look similar, but they are should be evolving performance wise and hopefully the laces will be longer.....

jmizzo wrote:

don't know if you guys are talking about the Vs or IVs..... but just in case you guys forgot.... Eric A. was not the designer of this shoe (IV). Heengineered the "specs" of the shoe and probably the cut and shape but did not design it....

Kobe had a team of young kids do the design work w/o Kobe putting any input what-so-ever.

It was said on one of the interviews that he did promoting the low top.

I'm sure the performance of the Kobe V will be on point. Design wise however, they leave a lot to be desired.

Originally Posted by never wear them

don't know if you guys are talking about the Vs or IVs..... but just in case you guys forgot.... Eric A. was not the designer of this shoe (IV). He engineered the "specs" of the shoe and probably the cut and shape but did not design it....

Kobe had a team of young kids do the design work w/o Kobe putting any input what-so-ever.

It was said on one of the interviews that he did promoting the low top.
I wanna hear more about this.

Back
Top Bottom