Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

I’m in Wisconsin. This weekend was -40 with wind. Still got the miles in
Nice - I’m in Michigan, so cold but not THAT cold. Haven’t found my limit yet though. I heard at 40 below you’ll get frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 min. I hope you’re covering up in that! I’m curious - what’s your go-to running clothes or gear for that?

speaking of cold weather, hibbetts got 40% off cold gear, got the nike snood for $12 (which was selling out once the pandemic started but it mesh so its not even really effective for that but it does make you look like a ninja so you look doing the naruto run) and the neck warmer for $15

they got gloves and headwear too plus free shipping and if you sign up for their text or email i think thats an extra 10% off?

1612934495748.jpeg

1612934875441.jpeg

1612934586744.jpeg

Nice - I’m in Michigan, so cold but not THAT cold. Haven’t found my limit yet though. I heard at 40 below you’ll get frostbite on exposed skin in as little as 10 min. I hope you’re covering up in that! I’m curious - what’s your go-to running clothes or gear for that?

It's weird because at a certain point it stops feeling like it's cold and it just starts becoming pain on your skin lol. Yeah the worst is when my contact lenses kinda freeze and i have to close my eyes for a few seconds to stop it.

I honestly don't wear anything too crazy. I have a nice tracksmith zip-up and I usually wear 1-2 base layers under that, a pair of tights under some running pants, then a good hat, face mask, gloves, and THICK SOCKS.

speaking of cold weather, hibbetts got 40% off cold gear, got the nike snood for $12 (which was selling out once the pandemic started but it mesh so its not even really effective for that but it does make you look like a ninja so you look doing the naruto run) and the neck warmer for $15

they got gloves and headwear too plus free shipping and if you sign up for their text or email i think thats an extra 10% off?

1612934495748.jpeg

1612934875441.jpeg

1612934586744.jpeg
Copped this! That’ll come in handy, thanks for the heads up

I have that snood, great if you can get it on sale. It's good for weather that's below 5 Celsius, anything above not worth having on as gets hot around the neck after a few miles.

Speaking of gear, what’s the best pair of gloves? I have the Nike Transform with mitten like covers but they're busted up already and I’ve only had them for a few months. The covers do well against wind and so do the cuffs around the wrist to keep the cold out, but taking them off is where you can destroy them by pulling too hard. It’s like no matter where you pull to take them off, you’re bound to rip seams or hear them ripping. Not worth the $40 in my opinion...

Speaking of gear, what’s the best pair of gloves? I have the Nike Transform with mitten like covers but they're busted up already and I’ve only had them for a few months. The covers do well against wind and so do the cuffs around the wrist to keep the cold out, but taking them off is where you can destroy them by pulling too hard. It’s like no matter where you pull to take them off, you’re bound to rip seams or hear them ripping. Not worth the $40 in my opinion...

1612966526530.jpeg

I'm out all year round and my hands get cold easily for some reason. I'm also in a dryer climate here in Colorado than say a coastal state. So take that into consideration with these recommendations.

If the coldest temps you run in hover around the 40-50° range only, I would go for the Smartwool training glove. They are so great. That merino is really versatile and by far my favorite material for gloves. It's really difficult to overheat in them. The smartphone tips are an overlay that peels off quickly. Don't expect them to work long.

Nathan has a convertible mitt that is better than those Nike ones IMO. I have both and the Nike convertible is just too thin for the colder stuff and is better used in the range mentioned for the Smartwools, so I would rather run in them. The fit of the Nathan is also better but the touch screen tips just do not work here either. There is a nice little pouch on the back of each glove for a gel or key. Collapsing and storing the mitt with one hand is fast and easy with one hand. I have abused mine and have no durability issues so far. They are also covered in reflective graphics. I wear mine into the high 20s.

Anything under that and I prefer a full mitt with a merino liner. Washing away the sweat and avoiding overheating is key.

Last edited:
I don't wear gloves unless it's below 30 out but i'm also the guy in one layer until its like below 15F out haha. For the gloves I recommend the Tracksmith NDO mittens if u don't mind spending $60 on them. Keeps my hands toasty.

Last edited:
You wear gloves in 50 degrees??
That's where I top out. My feet don't, but like I said, my hands get cold really easily. Poor blood flow there or something.

CO is a desert climate, so when I start, it can be in the high 30s. Then the sun comes out and I am finishing in the high 40s, low 50s. Just varies. But yeah, I'll wear gloves all the way up to 50 and then peel them off and stow away if it gets warmer.

Similar, was running in shorts and one long sleeve layer in -1 Celsius (-5 with wind factor) few days back but can't do it without gloves, don't mind legs getting cold, they warm up eventually. But got to keep the hands warm ha

i just get cold easily and thats due to living in socal where were just used to the sun so once it hits the 50's, its freezing and when it hits lower and i feel like i can snap my fingers and toe off from frostbite :lol:

once it hits 50s, i am running in pants and at least long sleeve tees and usually with a baclava or beanie plus neck warmers then some dude would pass me in short-shorts and shirtless and the image is like we're photoshopped

i just get cold easily and thats due to living in socal where were just used to the sun so once it hits the 50's, its freezing and when it hits lower and i feel like i can snap my fingers and toe off from frostbite :lol:

once it hits 50s, i am running in pants and at least long sleeve tees and usually with a baclava or beanie plus neck warmers then some dude would pass me in short-shorts and shirtless and the image is like we're photoshopped

Yupe that's me last weekend. It's 40 something, and I wore nike miller long sleeve with a vest and hybrid pant, and this dude ran with a loose singlet. :lol:

Yupe that's me last weekend. It's 40 something, and I wore nike miller long sleeve with a vest and hybrid pant, and this dude ran with a loose singlet. :lol:

lol i would be that other guy but typically with a tee or long sleeve instead

my body probably runs warmer than most SoCal folks, but long compression pants/long sleeve shirt would prob be the most i do. even wearing a windbreaker/anorak during the rain gets me feeling hot during my runs

Same. When it’s 50 in the morning in San Diego I question long sleeve or short sleeve tshirt...

Back
Top Bottom