Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

The heavy compared to other shoes thing is so insignificant for the type of running you will be doing. You didn’t say you were going for speed or anything like that and the minimal weight increase won’t effect you much over shorter distances.
Gotcha. Admittedly I just love the way the tempo next% look so I was partial to them for that reason. But I'm sure the Pegasus 38 will be sufficient. I'll try on the others just to make sure.

I'm a beginner runner, twice a week, less than 3 miles
Would zoom tempo next% be a good choice?
I just don't know where to start between Nikes, Ultraboost, Hoka, etc.

Also I tried on the alphafly next% joints and :wow: those are the weirdest feeling shoe ever. And they are insanely light.
Maybe try the saucony endorphin speed, I’ve used it on easy, tempo runs and repeats and it literally just does everything, I know it’s not a Nike tho 😂

saves you from buying multiple shoes too if budget allows

Agreed. If you want to veer from the Swoosh, Saucony’s Endorphin (Speed 1 and Pro 1) line offers a great value against the competition.

Gotcha. Admittedly I just love the way the tempo next% look so I was partial to them for that reason. But I'm sure the Pegasus 38 will be sufficient. I'll try on the others just to make sure.
If you're just getting into running, you're probably going to want to quit running if you start with the Tempo Next% as your daily trainer. It really only works well if you're going fast and it doesn't even do that well for everyone. But like the others have said, the Peg 38 is a fine do-it-all shoe. Other well-cushioned models for daily miles you may way want to consider: Hoka Clifton 8, New Balance 1080v11, Brooks Glycerin 19, and ASICS Novablast 2

i say for an everyday runner, non nike — go with the Hoka Mach 4. very comfortable, plenty of toe box room & lasts forever.

A closer look at the forefoot and heel of the Zoom Fly 5

A4A59E01-8E9F-466D-913A-2BF4286B1596.jpeg
C6716C2A-18AF-4DD8-9160-4C10994A642F.jpeg

I mean it’s crazy that no one is telling you to grab a pair of Pegs. They are the easiest shoes to get into. They are built for 85% of runners. It’s a great spot to start.
Late to the thread, was thinking exactly this while I was catching up on the replies. My mileage and frequency aren’t a ton more (3x/week, 2–4 miles a run except when training for 10K in spring/summer) and the Pegasus has been my pandemic companion over the last couple years in both its standard 36/37/38 configurations and in the weatherized 37/38 versions (I’m in a rainy climate).

I picked up the Tempo several months back and had been about to work it into a new workout plan before a pesky ankle injury set me back a bit. Planning to work it into my 10K training in the spring, but I can tell just in trying it on that it’s probably best for speed workouts and as a beginner “race” type of shoe for folks like me that are running 7–8 min miles in 5K/10Ks and can’t really justify throwing down a ton of money for a Vaporfly just yet.

Highly recommend the Pegasus as an all-around performer, especially for someone not needing to specialize for different types of runs.

AFs in the Barely Volt cw is on sale at Slam Jam for $179 with Promo Code "20EXTRASALE"

I had to scoop up a few more items to total up to at least $270 in order to get free shipping. Otherwise, shipping is $30. They ship FAST too!

I'll be returning my NDC pair now...

Just received my Alphafly Nature and really like them so far! The „dirty look“ of both midsole and upper make them appear kind of handcrafted and somewhat more valuable. Fit is much improved: really secure at your feet through the extra rubbery material. They are heavier now, but you hardly notice when you wear them. Running around in the living room feels great. Hope they perform well when I take them out, but people who did do seem to be satisfied.

Lasts forever??? It's one of the least durable shoes out there.
I don't know about that. But like other shoes that use outsole grade EVA, they show their wear early but you should still be able to get 300 miles out of them before the midsole packs out and/or the tread is gone.

thankfully some of the hoka models coming out next year have a new foam in them. That EVA foam they been using needed a upgrade for sometime now.

Slam Jam just shipped! I hope the AFs get here by Friday… if not, no big deal!

Sizes US 11-12 left on the site

In other news, GOVRN Batch XI was delivered earlier this AM! Feels like CRIMUH already! :emoji_santa: I can’t wait to get home!

Last edited:
I don't know about that. But like other shoes that use outsole grade EVA, they show their wear early but you should still be able to get 300 miles out of them before the midsole packs out and/or the tread is gone.
Yes, 300 miles is not ”forever”. Some Asics shoes lasts 1500 miles. EVA foam and no outsole rubber makes Mach 4 light but affects durability.

Ran in the Alphas this morning for the first time in 6 months. I'm not sure if my foot is stronger or what from all the training I've been doing, but the arch pain I used to have in them was nonexistent. What a blast of a shoe. I stepped on the gas for a few miles and was blown away at how fast I went at seemingly less effort. Very little soreness after this morning's workout too. I might need to work with these quite a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom