Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

Don't want to do fancy photos anymore. Got mine in... tried it on... holy ****.

The carbon fiber plate is a smart move. Maybe it's just me, but the idea of having a much better responsive foam push the carbon fiber plate up towards you to push you forward faster and stronger (creating the highest energy return, especially in the heel) was definitely some great research. Don't get me wrong; I don't want to discredit the ZoomX midsole, but it's really the combination that creates one hell of a sensation.

For anyone wondering why the shoes are $250, true carbon fiber plates hike up the prices. Back in 2011, I learned about Nike's soccer cleats and the Mercurial Vapor was a line that had synthetic carbon fiber vs. true carbon fiber, and it jacked up the price dramatically.
35965678330_31f57daf9c_c.jpg

Hows the sizing? Copped my normal size 11, and I understand there should be a little room for running but dont love the little room by the heel

should have ordered my correct size from eastbay over the weekend when I had my chance.

Hows the sizing? Copped my normal size 11, and I understand there should be a little room for running but dont love the little room by the heel

I went true to size. There will be a bit of room to work with, but I found it perfectly fine!

For those who own both the 4% and the Vaporfly - is it worth the money for the 4% if you're just a casual runner? I run maybe 20-30 miles a month at most.

I own both and just like you I am a casual runner. IMO the 4% is worth it. The Vaporfly is a good shoe and I love it but the 4% is an AMAZING shoe.

I should add the caveat that if I buy something I want to make sure it's the best or close to it (my wife hates it lol).

the 4% is so much lighter and bouncier than the zoomflys. I have wide feet so half size down def will bring blisters. looking to grab at tts. anyone know of any coupons for sweatshop? tried google but no luck.

Last edited:
For those who own both the 4% and the Vaporfly - is it worth the money for the 4% if you're just a casual runner? I run maybe 20-30 miles a month at most.
I just got my Vaporfly 4% and I can say they are softer and bouncier and lighter but for $100 more I don't think a causal runner they are worth it. That being said if it's not about the money and you can find you tts do it....I going to do a review when I get some time with comparison pics of the sp nikelab, zoomfly, and vaporfly 4%.

I'm not even running in these and I copped the Vaporfly over the Zoom Fly. The Zoom Fly was nice and all, but the Vaporfly has a better shape, they're lighter and they're more comfortable.

My only complaint is that they squeak like crazy on certain floors.

Really, buying shoes for the wrong reason? Air Zoom etc is all cushioning technology and Vapor could have been a level of comfort that would rival Boost, but it didn't end up being the case.

ZoomX looks like it has the comfort (or more) of Boost, meaning we have a good competitive option from Nike now. Anyone wanting a comfortable shoe can look for ZoomX from Nike, or was that too hard to understand?

I think his point is that you're giving off that boost hypebeast vibe... why would anyone be so quick to compare vapormax to boost, for example? Apples and oranges

No iteration of a full air sole (Air Max) running shoe, over the 20 or so I've run 10k miles in over the years, has had that soft gooey boost feel. It's always been for people who want max cushioning but not at the expense firm support, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hey guys just got my 4%'s and I am super satisfied. I know some of you in here were asking how the Fox Blue looks so I took a few pics. I used Belugas for reference (grey scale). Oh, and the mid sole was creased like this straight out of the box (I don't mind).

So glad that the blue fox upper seems to be more of a blueish grey. However Nike EU released some strange product shots where I didn't like the color at all (rather green than blue). Passed on it and found out later how nice they are actually in hand.
Fortunately was able to cop them from prorunning the other day and can't wait to see them in person.

Plus the low British Pound conversion rate made this pair shipped for 223 euros (retail 250 euros).

Attachments

• IMG_1331.PNG
    IMG_1331.PNG
    1,020.7 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1332.PNG
    IMG_1332.PNG
    847.2 KB · Views: 26

Hey man, can you help with me with UK to US sizing? I wear size 13 Nike US. Is 12 UK a proper US 13 or is it larger than a US 13? Getting conflicting info on that.

Looks to me on some sites US 13 is 29.6 cm. But UK 12 is 31.0 cm. But I did find this on Nike so I figure this is the best source of info:

Edit: I know this is an extra silly question in the context of the fact every US 13 i've owned has said UK 12 on the tongue, but thought id ask since i want these badly and dont want any hiccups.

Screen Shot 2017-08-06 at 7.58.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Hey man, can you help with me with UK to US sizing? I wear size 13 Nike US. Is 12 UK a proper US 13 or is it larger than a US 13? Getting conflicting info on that.

Looks to me like US 13 is 29.6 cm. But UK 12 is 31.0 cm.

12 UK IS 13 US ... bought a UK 10 which is my true US 11.

I think his point is that you're giving off that boost hypebeast vibe... why would anyone be so quick to compare vapormax to boost, for example? Apples and oranges

No iteration of a full air sole (Air Max) running shoe, over the 20 or so I've run 10k miles in over the years, has had that soft gooey boost feel. It's always been for people who want max cushioning but not at the expense firm support, in my opinion.

What nonsensical post is this?

Vapor = Midsole technology

Boost = Midsole technology

We can't possibly try to compare them because they are Apples and Oranges!

I have no idea what type of thought process you are going through, but for casual people who are not sneaker heads, yea, they're going to want to compare Boost to Vapor to ZoomX to whatever, for performance and casual use. Maybe because I only own 2x Boost shoes and 1x vapormax (which was a mistake, so less comfortable and unversatile to wear), which are the essentially the only Nike and Adidas I own, I won't get this vapid fanaticism.

Someone asked for an on-feet picture a few pages ago... here's my shot of it.

36011574500_b03f0df9c4_c.jpg

On top of that, I ran my Sunday morning 5K run (just a run, not a race) with these, and I can only give you... half of a first impression? Haha, so because I know this shoe benefits well for anyone who don't strike on their heels, I wanted to take my time with my run this morning, and decided to do quarter-mile intervals to compile a 5k total distance at the same running pace and energy while also adjusting to a midfoot strike. Over the week, I was doing some balancing drills to get myself adjusted (thanks to a training video from LIVESTRONG on YouTube) by doing a couple 30-second one-legged balancing while putting weight entirely on the midfoot/forefoot area and nothing on the heel. Also did small segments of stride adjusting when I was running in the VaporMax.

Okay, anyway, back to the shoes. Biggest skepticism for me was the ZoomX foam... key word: "foam." Lunar foam always mess with my left knee after a few miles. However, ZoomX was actually fine! Then again... I was landing on my midfoot with these the entire time. The traction of these shoes is far superior to the Zoom Flys... I slipped on sandy areas so much running the same route I ran with the Zoom Flys. The Vaporflys are much better. Flymesh, like the Zoom Flys, felt great; I like the material a lot!

The cushioning for me felt good, and it does the job! For the foam itself, it's very well-tuned and like I mentioned before, throwing the carbon fiber in there is the difference maker. I'm not blown away about it though compared to when I'm just walking since it feels like a trampoline when I walk in them, but I am a lot happier about Nike putting a much better foam-cushioning system. Again, I'm not a fan of Lunar ANYTHING, so it's easy for me to say that.

I can't comment on efficiency and how I felt after the run, because I took multiple short breaks (around 15-30 seconds) since I was focusing on stride adjustment.

Someone asked for an on-feet picture a few pages ago... here's my shot of it.

36011574500_b03f0df9c4_c.jpg

On top of that, I ran my Sunday morning 5K run (just a run, not a race) with these, and I can only give you... half of a first impression? Haha, so because I know this shoe benefits well for anyone who don't strike on their heels, I wanted to take my time with my run this morning, and decided to do quarter-mile intervals to compile a 5k total distance at the same running pace and energy while also adjusting to a midfoot strike. Over the week, I was doing some balancing drills to get myself adjusted (thanks to a training video from LIVESTRONG on YouTube) by doing a couple 30-second one-legged balancing while putting weight entirely on the midfoot/forefoot area and nothing on the heel. Also did small segments of stride adjusting when I was running in the VaporMax.

Okay, anyway, back to the shoes. Biggest skepticism for me was the ZoomX foam... key word: "foam." Lunar foam always mess with my left knee after a few miles. However, ZoomX was actually fine! Then again... I was landing on my midfoot with these the entire time. The traction of these shoes is far superior to the Zoom Flys... I slipped on sandy areas so much running the same route I ran with the Zoom Flys. The Vaporflys are much better. Flymesh, like the Zoom Flys, felt great; I like the material a lot!

The cushioning for me felt good, and it does the job! For the foam itself, it's very well-tuned and like I mentioned before, throwing the carbon fiber in there is the difference maker. I'm not blown away about it though compared to when I'm just walking since it feels like a trampoline when I walk in them, but I am a lot happier about Nike putting a much better foam-cushioning system. Again, I'm not a fan of Lunar ANYTHING, so it's easy for me to say that.

I can't comment on efficiency and how I felt after the run, because I took multiple short breaks (around 15-30 seconds) since I was focusing on stride adjustment.

These look great with the athleisure style, definitely wearable casually.

I don't think they'd look good with jeans, trousers, or anything else though.

#ntsweatpants :lol:

nice write-up as usual us3, looking forward to hearing more, you should try running your usual stride next to find out if it'll cause you problems like typical lunar does

I've worn mine with a pair of cropped tech fleece pants and they looked super clean. I agree though, jeans may be a little tough to pull off.

#ntsweatpants :lol:

nice write-up as usual us3, looking forward to hearing more, you should try running your usual stride next to find out if it'll cause you problems like typical lunar does

Haha, screw it, #ntsweatpants aren't as bad as #ntdenim, hahaha. Yeah, I may go ahead and do that if I can!

Have a little space in the back by the heel, is that typical for the vf 4%? TTD

Yeah, I have the same thing going on, too. Wasn't an issue for me when I tightened up the laces a bit more for the run though.

Good looking on the link, magic872. My plan is to throw them on and not look back. No adjustments. 120 days from now I'll have run two full and one ultra (plus 1500 miles of training) in them. After that, I plan to shut it down for most of December and enjoy the holidays. If anyone has any questions between now and then, shoot me a message and I'll be happy to share my thoughts to date.

By year's end I still will not know if they are sufficiently cushy for standing around and doing nothing while being clad in Haider Ackermann, though. For that I will need to defer to Gishenjing. Ginshenjing, when you have a few days of standing curbside for a Supreme drop under your Off-White branded belt, please pass along your 0.02

Are there any 4%s available anywhere in Vegas? Ill be there for a couple of weeks so I'm hoping to cop a few things I can't grab in store in Va.

Back
Top Bottom