Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

NGL... I didn't really care about the AF2s until that Total Orange cw. My eyes are still trying to distinguish the Total Orange sections on the AF2 from the Crimson ones. :emoji_sweat_smile:

watching worlds and really thinking nike should’ve dropped a volt AF2 to pair up with the spikes most of the nike athletes are using

Here's the ZF5 from that same colorway pack via IG

IMG_2945.JPG

This one is my favorite so far.

With all the negative feedback for the ZF5 I picked up a pair Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 for $80 during the Saucony half off sale. Damn, those are the lightweight, uptempo trainers I've been looking for. IMO they're better than any version of the ZF. Earth to Nike... give us a full ZoomX shoe comparable to the VF and stick a nylon plate in it. That's pretty much what I'm getting in the Endorphin Speeds. They remind me a lot of the OG 4%.

PXL_20220714_195127261.jpg

Just got the Zoom Fly 5 in and I have some first impressions. Haven't run in them at all but intitial try-on was interesting so I thought I'd share my thoughts:

From what every reviewer has said I was worried about step-in comfort and it being a brick but it really isn't. It feels like ZoomX in the midsole. Obviously it's not as soft as the Invincible but it can't be. I think it does have the distinct feeling of ZoomX. When I push my forefoot down I feel the softness of the ZoomX scraps. I have a pair of the Alphafly Next Nature and I like them and it feels comparable. The ZF model with the most similar upper is the ZF1. It reminds me of that upper although they are different.

I'll say that I have enjoyed every zoom fly model I have tried. i've tried every model except the 4 and the flyknit is my favorite version. Also I don't currently have the invincible in my rotation because I phased it out and I am waiting on a sale to grab a new one or maybe the new one if the zoom fly 5 doesn't work out - maybe it's because I don't have the massive zoomx feeling in my rotation that I think that the ZF5 feels soft. Excited to try it out and will share more of my thoughts if anybody's interested.

ZF5 FIRST IMPRESSIONS AFTER THE FIRST RUN

Did a 4 mile run in these as my first run. Couldn't get out there earlier because I had a bit of a foot injury that still isn't completely healed but I wanted to run in these that I just took three days of rest. Obviously these are super preliminary thoughts for people considering the Zoom Fly 5 especially with a lot of the negative reviews coming out immediately after the release by running youtubers.

I want to compare the ZF5 to previous Zoom Fly iterations because I feel like that's the most fair comparison and not any of the Vaporfly or Alphafly models. I've always thought the Zoom Fly series got a bit of an unfair opinion because everybody is expecting or comparing it to the VF/AF. I always have either seen:

(a) the person gets the Zoom Fly after hearing great things about the Vaporfly/Alphafly thinking its the same except a bit cheaper and they're disappointed because they're basing their opinion of the shoe on the things they've heard about the Vaporfly/Alphafly

(b) the person has an Vaporfly/Alphafly already and they grab a Zoom Fly thinking it can be a substitute but because of how great those shoes are they're inevtiably disappointed in the Zoom Fly.

I've extensively worn every Zoom Fly model except the Zoom Fly 4 because the midsole was the same and the upper was ugly to me. I liked every Zoom Fly model I've tried but the best is the Zoom Fly Flyknit (ZF2) by far. That shoe was the peak of the ZF line and spoiler alert - I think it still is.

- UPPER/FIT: The upper feels closest to the engineered mesh upper of the first Zoom Fly but where that had more of a serious but bulky racer fit, the ZF5 fits a bit like the Zoom Fly 3. I'm always a size 10 in Nikes and have worn size 10 for every Zoom Fly model. The ZF1 was super exact for me like a racing shoe, the ZF2 felt like the Vaporfly 4% Flyknit fit, the ZF3 was slightly too big and therefore the heel lockdown was an issue. It could be me but I felt like my left shoe wasn't really locked down and I felt some heel slippage. I stopped and retied my laces but I couldn't nail my fit down for my left shoe. I don't have narrow feet by any means but the ZF5 has been the first time I've ever really noticed a shoe was kinda wide. It made turns feel not as smooth. I wouldn't go down half a size because the toebox is a bit shallow like the ZF3. Can't say conclusively my suggestion for fit but it feels like best is your Nike size - which for me is my TTS.

- OUTSOLE/TRACTION: Ran on a mix of roaad, dirt road, light trail and it held up fine without any issues. Haven't tried it on any wet surfaces at all yet though. The outsole is really felt because the rubber sticks out and isn't uniform across the whole shoe.

- COMFORT: Step-in comfort is there. Honestly feels similar to the Zoom Fly 3 on a warm day. The ZF5 is softer than the ZF3, but at pace it perhaps feels similar.

- RIDE: This is where I felt strange like a lot of other reviewers. When I started running, it felt okay but didn't feel as great as I kinda expected it to. Like I mentioned on my initial try-on, there is a step-in comfort that the ZoomX scraps give and you do feel that as you run. I ran two miles at a more tempo, faster clip and two miles were an easy run on the way back home. My first two miles were harder than I expected and it took more effort than I thought it would but when I was there I was at the pace I wanted to be at.. On my two miles back, I ran easy paces and it was fine but it did feel clunky but soft.

FINAL THOUGHTS AFTER A 4 MILE RUN

While I was running back, feeling meh about the ZF5, I realized what I had been feeling is exactly what I felt with the previous Zoom Fly models (with the exception of the ZF2 which I think is the most versatile of the lot). The Zoom Fly has always been a shoe, at least to me, that feels clunky and awkward at easier efforts and fun and fast at faster paces if you bear in mind that to get to those faster paces you need to put in more effort. The ZF5 is like the previous ZF models in that at faster paces, you're going to have to work for it. It's not going to be a shoe that feels easier and effortless at faster paces like that Alphafly or sleek and fast like the Vaporfly. It DOES weigh a lot and it DOES NOT feel as effortless and fun as the VF/AF but that's exactly how the previous Zoom Fly models have felt.

One of the shoes that got me into running more consistently was the OG Zoom Fly because the OG Vaporfly was completely sold out and I also couldn't imagine spending that much money on a pair of running shoes if I wasn't an elite, or almost elite runner. Because of that, I do have a soft-spot for the ZF line and see more of it's merits than its flaws and I've tried to highlight them as well.

It's my opinion that a more fair and balanced reivew of the ZF5 is really just about how the ZF5 feels like previous entries in the line and doesn't do anything significant beyond the replacement of foam. It's debatable whether or not the replacement with ZoomX scraps inside a SR02 carrier is better than full length React. I can't say for sure yet because it's only a short 4 mile run and long runs are the true test. In the time since the original OG Vaporfly and OG Zoom Fly has come out, every shoe brand has come out with better and better shoes at more compelling price points. The real issue with the ZF5 is that in 2022, $160 is too much to be asking for a shoe that isn't as versatile as other brands fast day training options.

MY EARLY RECOMMENDATIONS, or WHO SHOULD PICK UP A ZOOM FLY 5

If you've ever liked a Zoom Fly model and you can temper your expectations after running in any Vaporfly/Alphafly model, then you should grab it if you want/can.

If you want a shoe that will be good for easy day long runs and sometimes do faster runs - don't get the ZF5. Grab the Invincible which is still a better easy day shoe that can also double as a fast day shoe if asked. I don't get why people are also comparing the ZF5 to the Invincible beacuse it's a really unfair comparison. They aren't really in the same category at all and to compare them feels like comparing apples and oranges.

Now it might not sound compelling that to really enjoy the ZF5 you have to work harder at faster runs and easier runs aren't as nice because it is clunky, but the reality is: we've been so spoiled by the shoe revolution since the release of the OG Vaporfly. The Zoom Fly 5 might be best described as a shoe from a different era - where shoes don't do and can't do everything.

Last edited:
D32BEFC0-8964-41F4-8EA5-B5B50C23F519.jpeg
A310925B-BCD1-48FE-BA5F-47631DB0C173.jpeg
B38BD951-8BF4-4585-AD39-1D168E3595E8.jpeg
7E65101B-53E4-4AA4-AB1E-20DE6353A585.jpeg

Attachments

• 0E5FF9B3-9C4E-4B77-8379-9D2AABF46BCF.jpeg
    0E5FF9B3-9C4E-4B77-8379-9D2AABF46BCF.jpeg
    345.2 KB · Views: 513
  • EB6024F0-1773-46E3-B403-F94E233966A7.jpeg
    EB6024F0-1773-46E3-B403-F94E233966A7.jpeg
    278.7 KB · Views: 16
i like it

that black miodsole needs to be used on more lighter cw uppers, hell give it as an option in NBY with different outsole colors too

I want to preface this by saying that I love Nike and their innovation. They've really pushed and improved the overall running market to a much better place where now there are tons of quality options and because of this will always be open to trying their products.

However, when it comes to the everyday runner/training space....even uptempo shoes I think they've really fallen behind. I've tried every iteration of the Zoom Fly and honestly they keep getting worse for me. Whether it is weight (ZF 4, ZF 5) or fit (ZF 3) they just can't seem to find a formula that works. My favorite version was probably the Zoom Fly SP. At the time the weight and pop you got seemed really innovative and was a go to for me for tempo runs and some daily work. I like the Streakfly but it was so hard to get a hold of and with the durability issues I've had with ZoomX in Vaporflys I'm a bit reluctant to bring it out that often. For those of you looking for daily lightweight trainers....there are better options out there. As a Nike guy I hated pulling the trigger, but once I tried things outside of their world, most notably the New Balance Rebel V2 and now the Hoka Mach 5, nothing they have in their lineup really compares. I will always use Vaporflys for racing and PBs. But after this version of the ZF....I think I'm done with them for daily training.

With Nike’s generous return policy, I’ll definitely try out the ZF5. The cws that have been revealed so far haven’t really made me want to really keep any yet.

I think I’ll be fan of the 5s since I really liked the 3s. Most disliked those. It was just the upper that I didn’t like. The 2s are my overall favorite considering the upper and sole though.

I was going through my ZF donors options this past weekend, and the ZF line is the most I have for any line.
246C0547-1C17-4708-A534-11FE72734393.jpeg

My few VFN and AFN options
8F761EBD-7B3C-4E4E-AA71-455F3A90B43B.jpeg

87E097D8-A52A-42E3-8AB8-4D9C7AB802F6.jpeg

These arrived after my run today. Initial impressions are these are more stable than the ZF3 & 4. They feel a little firmer than I was expecting walking around and the upper feels a little stiff.

I’ll take these out for some miles tomorrow. I was a fan of the ZF3 & 4 so I think I’ll like these.

Back
Top Bottom