Nike's Phil Knight has branded Oregon into national power [Sports Illustrated article]

I knew of Phil Knight.....after reading exactly what he does with Oregon....he gets my respect.

Although its a major marketing ploy..........its pure genius

I knew of Phil Knight.....after reading exactly what he does with Oregon....he gets my respect.

Although its a major marketing ploy..........its pure genius

You guys didn't know about University of Nike @ Eugene, 
laugh.gif

Hopefully the new basketball arena can get that program turned around.  I'm surprised more wealthy alumni of various schools don't try to do what Phil has done with Oregon regarding the improvment of facilities.  I know there are people who do it, but not nearly to the extent that Phil does.
It's done all the time.  Most private institutions have multiple Phil Knight's, however they sink their money into the academic and research portions of the University.

The three biggest schools in North America based on endowments: Harvard ($25 billion), Yale ($15 billion), and Stanford ($12 billion).  Stanford is the only one with a D1 program and they don't really care about their football team.  They care, just not on the level of an elite football school.

The clout Phil Knight has at Oregon is nuts, they should just make him the School President,
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Hopefully the new basketball arena can get that program turned around.  I'm surprised more wealthy alumni of various schools don't try to do what Phil has done with Oregon regarding the improvment of facilities.  I know there are people who do it, but not nearly to the extent that Phil does.
It's done all the time.  Most private institutions have multiple Phil Knight's, however they sink their money into the academic and research portions of the University.

The three biggest schools in North America based on endowments: Harvard ($25 billion), Yale ($15 billion), and Stanford ($12 billion).  Stanford is the only one with a D1 program and they don't really care about their football team.  They care, just not on the level of an elite football school.

The clout Phil Knight has at Oregon is nuts, they should just make him the School President,
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by jville819

Originally Posted by mjd77

The wealthiest alums of most schools don't care as much about athletics as Knight does seeing as how sports is the reason why he is the richest man in Oregon. 

Wealthy alums of big schools donate PLENTY to their alma mater.

They just donate to academics and specific colleges. They're just donating to Business/Engineering/Medical/Journalism schools and having buildings named after them instead of donating to the teams and having locker rooms named after them.

The wealthiest alums of most schools don't care as much about athletics as Knight does seeing as how sports is the reason why he is the richest man in Oregon. 

They just donate to academics and specific colleges. They're just donating to Business/Engineering/Medical/Journalism schools and having buildings named after them instead of donating to the teams and having locker rooms named after them.

Phil Knight has donated plenty to the academic side of  the university. He built the law school and the library. Both are enormous sets of buildings that bear his name. Knight also has endowed chairs and professorships across the campus. He also donated 105 million to Stanford's business school(where he got his MBA) and 100 mill the the Oregon Health Sciences University for Cancer Research.

Sensationalism is what matters though, so I'm not surprised that those stats are almost always ignored, nor am I surprised that I was the first one in this thread to actually make this point.

Phil Knight has donated plenty to the academic side of  the university. He built the law school and the library. Both are enormous sets of buildings that bear his name. Knight also has endowed chairs and professorships across the campus. He also donated 105 million to Stanford's business school(where he got his MBA) and 100 mill the the Oregon Health Sciences University for Cancer Research.

Sensationalism is what matters though, so I'm not surprised that those stats are almost always ignored, nor am I surprised that I was the first one in this thread to actually make this point.

Man if i was that rich Southern New Hampshire University would be the freshest team in DII
laugh.gif

Man if i was that rich Southern New Hampshire University would be the freshest team in DII
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom