Nike's Phil Knight has branded Oregon into national power [Sports Illustrated article]

Man if i was that rich Southern New Hampshire University would be the freshest team in DII
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Professor YKK

Phil Knight has donated plenty to the academic side of  the university. He built the law school and the library. Both are enormous sets of buildings that bear his name. Knight also has endowed chairs and professorships across the campus. He also donated 105 million to Stanford's business school(where he got his MBA) and 100 mill the the Oregon Health Sciences University for Cancer Research.

Sensationalism is what matters though, so I'm not surprised that those stats are almost always ignored, nor am I surprised that I was the first one in this thread to actually make this point.
I'm sure he has, but that is not what the article is about.

The article is more about Knight's influence on the Oregon program, and how it's basically his very own "pro" franchise.  The only other booster I could think of that has that much influence is Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State.  Knight basically runs the athletic department.  All the traditional powerhouse programs have major donors, but not ONE that has enough influence to hand pick an AD, Head Football Coach, Basketball Coach, etc. 

Bellotti didn't leave on his own, it was a bold move and the right one even though it is a PR nightmare.  Having him warm the AD seat, and then resigning was genius.  I'm sure Penn State and Texas wish they would've thought of that.

Phil Knight has donated plenty to the academic side of  the university. He built the law school and the library. Both are enormous sets of buildings that bear his name. Knight also has endowed chairs and professorships across the campus. He also donated 105 million to Stanford's business school(where he got his MBA) and 100 mill the the Oregon Health Sciences University for Cancer Research.

Sensationalism is what matters though, so I'm not surprised that those stats are almost always ignored, nor am I surprised that I was the first one in this thread to actually make this point.

The article is more about Knight's influence on the Oregon program, and how it's basically his very own "pro" franchise.  The only other booster I could think of that has that much influence is Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State.  Knight basically runs the athletic department.  All the traditional powerhouse programs have major donors, but not ONE that has enough influence to hand pick an AD, Head Football Coach, Basketball Coach, etc. 

Bellotti didn't leave on his own, it was a bold move and the right one even though it is a PR nightmare.  Having him warm the AD seat, and then resigning was genius.  I'm sure Penn State and Texas wish they would've thought of that.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

All the traditional powerhouse programs have major donors, but not ONE that has enough influence to hand pick an AD, Head Football Coach, Basketball Coach, etc. 
I'd guess that most universities don't have the cash or resources Knight has either though.

All the traditional powerhouse programs have major donors, but not ONE that has enough influence to hand pick an AD, Head Football Coach, Basketball Coach, etc. 
I'd guess that most universities don't have the cash or resources Knight has either though.

Back
Top Bottom