Niketalk DJs

serato. but learn to play a piece of vinyl without using a computer... don't be like these newbs that stare at their computers every second of DJing.. nota good look.

Damn no love for cdjs??
frown.gif

Lorizzle & everybody thanks for the info.

Ya man Ean Golden was getting loose with that VCI-100.

I hop the OP is getting good info as well.

Originally Posted by neverflopped

Damn no love for cdjs??
frown.gif

I know house DJs getting on that but for the most part, I don't think they get as much love with Serato out.

I started off with Brand new technics, Vestex 05 shure needles (blue tips forgot what they are called) and 15 records.. I must of played those records over andover and over. My pops was going crazy. But I learned to beat match. When and where to fade the song in and out. When to enter the song while playing aninstrumental. I LEARNED ALL OF THAT BY MY SELF.. I financed everything under my godmothers name. No mater how much money I had, I made sure I paid that onebill for my turntables. I love music and I love the sound of the crowd cheering to the music I spin. 10 years later, Im djing all over HOLLYWOOD, CA.. Haventdone any out of town spinning, but its in the works. My point is, if you're serious then spend the money.. If you're not then dont.. I knew this iswhat I wanted to do thats why I bought the good stuff. Technics will last. PROMISE.. You can go with CDJs if you'd like. It all depends on what YOU LIKE.Not what other people think is HOT..

for 2500 I got
2 brand new technics
Vestax 05
2 full needles with replacements
a dj bag with 15 records
and Cases for my turntables..

SOME MIGHT SAY I GOT "GOT" but I didnt have anyone to ask for advice...

djaward & others with years in the game, what type of crowds or music do you play for? Do you stay in one lane or play for different crowds?

I'm curious.

just a side question do yu guys prefer individual flight cases or coffins?

sure coffins carry everything but they are a #!%$# to load in your car etc

Originally Posted by socluis90

when i had my turntables i learned how to beat match by ear. greatest feeling ever.
This ^. It took me a damn long time to get it, but once I did... jizz in my pants type stuff lol, still takes me some time for some songs though=(.

Question for the working dj's out there. I feel like I'm almost ready to start selling my services, but my music collection isn't exactly uhh howcan I say, "legitimately obtained"? heh.
Anyhow, if I'm going to be using the music to make money, I wouldn't feel right to use stuff I haven't paid for. How do you suggest I go aboutbuilding up my library? I hope that's not too broad of a question.

And also, here was my list of pro's and con's for midi versus dvs back a few years ago. Some of the points might be questionable, but w/e, it helped melol.

"a) MIDI (vci-100)controller solution:
-buttons for effects, loops, cues
-does not have a headphone port
-minimal scratchability, but ability still there
-cheap!!!
-cannot use rare vinyl
-requires external soundcard for lap-top use =/
-can upgrade to be a mixer for real turntables

b) Turntables + DVS
-real vinyl feel
-better scratchability
-expensiver!!!
-more money required for effects mixer
-no effects mixer means more keyboard and mouse use
-record/needle wear "

I am currently at VCI-100 + 1 Numark TT500 + Traktor Scratch Duo. Hoping to get another turntable soon, and then possibly switch up the vci for a regularmixer.

sidebar* i'm so boned for my exam tomorrow

Is anybody familiar with this mixer?
[h2]Numark HDMIX DJ Performance Mixer With Built-in Hard Drive[/h2]

Originally Posted by Born Tuesday

djaward & others with years in the game, what type of crowds or music do you play for? Do you stay in one lane or play for different crowds?

I'm curious.

Im in Los Angeles. I pretty much dj in Hollywood. The crowd is a mix crowd. I love it. You have to know how to read a crowd. If you dont know how to do thisthen you're going to suck. Dont play for you, play for them.. I like throwing in some old skool in my mix. Not a lot of it but enough to get the crowdgoing.. December 26 is my 10th year anniversary as a dj.. If you're in Los Angeles hit me up. Throwing a big party in Beverly Hills.

1. Know your music.
-if you don't know what music you have or are going to start spinning with, don't even bother learning.

2. Start with vinyl
-these days, anyone w/ money can buy a laptop, the serato program, and rip a buncha music...so what, it don't make you a DJ.

3. Practice
-don't go out there not knowing how to blend two songs together, just so you can look cool. Nobody will care how cool you look when you train wreck two songs that you can mix together
Agreed. Especially, #2. The real and best DJ's know how to use vinyl. Without knowing how to is like rapper who cant freestyle IMO. As far aspractice I learned from listening to other djs on the radio. I listened to DJs like Kool DJ Red Alert when he was on Hot97 in NYC and others at parties andsuch.

Congrats DJAward on the 10 year anny. I got out of in 2004 when I went to college. By then everything switched to cds and seratos and I couldnt keep up withit.

Back
Top Bottom