Niketalk Racial Thread #8977564567545 "What's it like to be _____"

I'm Indian.

Meh. I don't really like to put myself into a group just for the hell of it. Especially when most of their values don't coincide with mine.

I'm Dominican. Born and practically raised... I speak Spanish and all. White people think I'm black, black people think I'm white.. It's pretty funny actually. When people find out I'm Dominican; they expect to be loud, obnoxious and the "center of attention". That's the complete opposite of me. I'm quiet and usually mind my business. The sterotypes sometimes piss me off. I'm me! A couple of months ago, I was in the gym listening to some metal. And some dude stops and asks me why I'm listening to "that stuff".. Seriously? I listen to everything except country and some people are in disbelief about what kind of music I listen to.

Being in the Marine Corps is pretty interesting, racially speaking. You interact with people from all over the US and are completely different. I have seriously met people who have never met anyone who wasn't white. And some people that will openly admit they're racist.

Even better, I'll show you the crap I have to put up with. I know he was kidding around, but was that really necessary? And yes, he is a white guy.

It's annoying. Being a young black male, the image that a few 'ghetto' people portray is ridiculous. It's ridiculously unfair. The media adores portraying stereotypes as true. It's impossible to live above the stereotype sometimes.

Unfortunately, it's a sad reality. Your challenge is to separate from the "ghetto image" that media has portrayed, but at the same time a true reality. Set yourself up by changing the odds in your favor. For example, make education or positive life experiences an asset that you carry throughout your life and possibly pass down the generations. Don't fall into a trap that I'm in the ghetto, therefore I must act a certain way or do certain things to avoid being labeled a "sell out."

I know plenty of AA dr's and guess what their kids end up doing, practicing medicine.

It's your life And take control of it. People would die to have the opportunities that America has to offer. Don't be lazy and seek out all the offerings out there. They may not be free, but they are there. It has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm black and my blood line is African. (first generation born American)

It's absolutely incredible! Seriously, I love our food, culture, our women, differences, languages. I mean granted, I've never lived as anything else, but I certainly wouldn't change it for anything.

As for black American people talking about a "white mans world", my question to you, is why don't you move to another country? There's plenty of opportunities in various developing countries for educated, experienced black people to thrive.

It's absolutely incredible! Seriously, I love our food, culture, our women, differences, languages. I mean granted, I've never lived as anything else, but I certainly wouldn't change it for anything.
As for black American people talking about a "white mans world", my question to you, is why don't you move to another country? There's plenty of opportunities in various developing countries for educated, experienced black people to thrive.
So follow ur own advice and move to those countries then#justsayin

I'm Eritrean and Iove it. I get mistaken for Dominican a lot tho.

The fact that I speak Spanish fluently doesn't help either.

For those of mixed race, do you feel that acquaintances you meet for the first time judge or treat you based on the immediate appearance they assume, and not necessarily the part of your race (or heritage) you actually identify with most?

To clarify, hypothetically, a half-Caucasian, half-African American male. When people meet this individual, do they judge and treat that person based on the most revealing portion of their skin color? Let's say a darker complexion for argument's sake. Would strangers act the way some of you have outlined in this thread, giving "daps" instead of formal handshakes for example. Even if that individual identifies more with their Caucasian side.

Same here :D

:stoneface:
I don't live in America anymore.
The funny thing is as an African American male I get more hate from Africans because they feel like we are all lazy and loud which is sad and hurts at the same damn time, being a black man is demanding, everyday you just want to make it home without the cops trying to kill you or your own people trying to kill you, hope some white lady doesn't say you tried to Rob/Rape her, self hatred from your own ethnicity, list goes on and on, but I would kill myself if I were any other ethnicity, I love being a black man, no other culture will ever be better, of we would only come together(Africans and black Americans) the ******g power we would have but sadly I probably will never see this in my lifetime

I'm Dominican. Born and practically raised... I speak Spanish and all. White people think I'm black, black people think I'm white.. It's pretty funny actually. When people find out I'm Dominican; they expect to be loud, obnoxious and the "center of attention". That's the complete opposite of me. I'm quiet and usually mind my business. The sterotypes sometimes piss me off. I'm me! A couple of months ago, I was in the gym listening to some metal. And some dude stops and asks me why I'm listening to "that stuff".. Seriously? I listen to everything except country and some people are in disbelief about what kind of music I listen to.
Being in the Marine Corps is pretty interesting, racially speaking. You interact with people from all over the US and are completely different. I have seriously met people who have never met anyone who wasn't white. And some people that will openly admit they're racist.

Im in the process of joining the corps. I really dont give 2 f's about what people think but I just re-watched generation kill, is it anything like that? just curious.

then you'd be a puerto rican... *rimshot*

wepa

Last edited:
white. go through the same problems as everyone else. (cops bugging me, people glaring at me, screwed over by companys)
i just dont blame it on my skin color

white. go through the same problems as everyone else. (cops bugging me, people glaring at me, screwed over by companys)
i just dont blame it on my skin color

because those are the only things other races go through :lol:

You don't all understand a minority's plight and you never could. That's not a bad thing...but don't at all act like you're the same.

Most of us cant just up and move .Im a college student I cant say yo peace to america i got alot stuff here and jsut cant randomly move .But lets just say I will be in the land of the rising sun permanently if everything works out as planned this summer.

Back
Top Bottom