• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What exactly do you mean when you say on the decline? Are you talking about your personal opinion on the quality of games? PS4 is sitting at about 40M sales and X1 at about 18M. Consoles were supposedly dead but that theory was proven wrong with this gen. Sales don't mean everything but I don't see how games are on the decline either. Now if we're talking half finished games, DLC etc. then I see what you mean.

Not personal opinion, these are facts. Don't just think because the PS4 is selling well the industry is thriving. With all the developers going out of business, Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo havig to restructure their videogame businesses, it's clear the industry needs to go in another direction, but lets look further.

Evidence #1

Number of unique games published at Retail in the US between 2009 to 2015. Went from ~800 to less than 200.

Evidence #2

As the number of unique games published at retail in the U.S. decreases, so does the total dollar spend.

Evidence #3

Number of Publishers bringing games to retail has dropped as well.

Evidence #4

Finally, from this image you can clearly see this current gen is lagging behind Gen 6 and 7 in terms of hardware shipped. The industry needs a shakeup.

All graphs and analysis via @ZhugeEX. He's an industry insider and has some great insight on the industry. Check him out https://zhugeex.com/

Last edited:
So a new Zelda and a bunch of ports

I hope Nintendo know's what they are doing lol :lol:

Nah Zelda, pikmin 4 (pikmin 3 was great), new game from retro studios - Metroid possibly? Or a new donkey kong (tropical freeze was awesome but could use some more complexities level wise, like dkc 2 for snes), the new 3D Mario I'm assuming is not a 3D World port but rather a new Galaxy-like game. Add the ports on top of that and u got a crazy first year. My only worry is the next couple years after that but rumors are saying 3rd party development is a go this time.

Last edited:
spottieottie305 spottieottie305 forgive my ignorance bro but from those charts it appears to me that the number of games of being made has dropped. 800 games were made one year and I bet 70%+ of them were mediocre. Also is it possible that there were more units shipped back then and not as many were sold compared to today. PS4 at damn near 40M units sold i less than 3 years has to be higher than PS3 right? It's possible that I'm reading these charts the wrong way, if so, let me know :lol:

Last edited:
So a new Zelda and a bunch of ports

I hope Nintendo know's what they are doing lol :lol:

Nah Zelda, pikmin 4 (pikmin 3 was great), new game from retro studios - Metroid possibly? Or a new donkey kong (tropical freeze was awesome but could use some more complexities level wise, like dkc 2 for snes), the new 3D Mario I'm assuming is not a 3D World port but rather a new Galaxy-like game. Add the ports on top of that and u got a crazy first year. My only worry is the next couple years after that but rumors are saying 3rd party development is a go this time.
Same insider also said that Metro's new game is NOT DK or Metroid, most likely a new IP.

spottieottie305 spottieottie305 forgive my ignorance bro but from those charts it appears to me that the number of games of being made has dropped. 800 games were made one year and I bet 70%+ of them were mediocre. Also is it possible that there were more units shipped back then and not as many were sold compared to today. PS4 at damn near 40M units sold i less than 3 years has to be higher than PS3 right? It's possible that I'm reading these charts the wrong way, if so, let me know :lol:

No prob bro... that first three charts are are demonstrating how there are less publishers in the industry, which means less games and ultimately less money being generated from game sales. This is a solid indication that its becoming harder for game makers to profit from software sold. Last few gens we saw a lot of publishers going out of business and this correlates directly with that.

The last graph shows how this generation is trailing the previous two generation in terms of raw hardware shipped. Manufactures will only ship what they think will sell. This shows that the consumers are not buying the new hardware at the same rate as they did in previous generations.

Last gen all three consoles had pretty good software and hardware sales. The industry was healthier. Fast forward to today. It's a much different picture.The fact that only one game company having success right now is a huge indicator is a stagnant industry.

All this validates my original statement that the industry is declining. Less publishers, less games, less money being made, less consumers buying consoles.

I agree, the NX launch will be more than Zelda and remakes. Too much at stake to eff this launch up. As @CenTexHOGG posted... Emily Rogers is indicating the 1st year of NX will put the Wii U to shame.

Plus if you think about it, Nintendo has had like 2-3 years to develop some great games for the NX platform. After 2014, once they saw the Wii U was too far gone to recover they shifted all the bangers to the NX. That's a long time, so best believe the games will be there at launch. To me the only question is if the 3rd parties will be on board.

Last edited:
Same insider also said that Metro's new game is NOT DK or Metroid, most likely a new IP.

Interesting. Well, since all they're known for is pretty much metroid and dk, I have no idea what to expect :lol:

No prob bro... that first three charts are are demonstrating how there are less publishers in the industry, which means less games and ultimately less money being generated from game sales. This is a solid indication that its becoming harder for game makers to profit from software sold. Last few gens we saw a lot of publishers going out of business and this correlates directly with that.

The last graph shows how this generation is trailing the previous two generation in terms of raw hardware shipped. Manufactures will only ship what they think will sell. This shows that the consumers are not buying the new hardware at the same rate as they did in previous generations.

Last gen all three consoles had pretty good software and hardware sales. The industry was healthier. Fast forward to today. It's a much different picture.The fact that only one game company having success right now is a huge indicator is a stagnant industry.

All this validates my original statement that the industry is declining. Less publishers, less games, less money being made, less consumers buying consoles.
I agree, the NX launch will be more than Zelda and remakes. Too much at stake to eff this launch up. As @CenTexHOGG posted... Emily Rogers is indicating the 1st year of NX will put the Wii U to shame.

Plus if you think about it, Nintendo has had like 2-3 years to develop some great games for the NX platform. After 2014, once they saw the Wii U was too far gone to recover they shifted all the bangers to the NX. That's a long time, so best believe the games will be there at launch. To me the only question is if the 3rd parties will be on board.

I think there's enough reason to believe this time they'll get it right. With the Wii u, they felt crazy pressure from Apple and its threat to take over with simple, hollow, exploitative, easy to play while ure on the toilet mobile games, especially with the iPad. I think we tend to gloss over the fact but at the time the Wii u was being developed, Apple was in phase 2 of their meteoric rise to global domination (which is beginning to crumble) and Nintendo simply got caught up in the hype; hence the game pad. Like you mentioned before, Nintendo usually innovates leaving the industry to catch up so when they're put in a corner, they don't come correct. Now that gaming in general has become stagnant, the time is ripe for them to come thru with something that'll blow our minds. I just can't wrap my head around what this new concept could be.

sorry. haven't liked a nintendo control since the snes controller.
psx (which basically was a redesign of the snes controller when you think about it) is still the best controller post snes days. IMO anyway.

not into the weirdo shapes, weirdo gimmicks, etc. nintendo comes up with. seems like the industry hasn't been thrilled either.
Xbox360 controller is best of all time.

Also not sure if any of Nintendo's controllers can be labelled as "gimmicks". N64 controller had an analogue stick and z-trigger. GameCube had analogue shoulder buttons with digital click secondary function. Wii had motion controls that Sony blatantly copied and let's not forget that led to the Wii's domination of the last generation of consoles. Wii U has the touch screen gamepad.

All are innovative and unique control methods that impacted the industry in one form or another.

Last edited:
I just followed Emily Rogers on Twitter and from what I read, that Mario Kart NX rumor isn't a port, it's a new Mario Kart game.

Nintendo Didn't Want to "Rush" NX Launch, Says System Won't Be Sold at a Loss
"We believe that when launching hardware, the amount of quality software for consumers to play that is available at launch is important."
Last updated by Eddie Makuch on May 2, 2016 71 Comments

Nintendo has shared some new details on its upcoming NX system. The English translation of Nintendo CEO Tatsumi Kimishima's Q&A session with investors was published today. As part of this, someone asked if the NX would be sold at a loss like the Wii U was in 2012. Kimishima said this is not expected to be the case--and explained why.

"We are not thinking of launching the hardware at a loss," he said. "When Wii U was launched, the yen was very strong. I am assuming that situation will not repeat itself. Selling at a loss at launch would not support the business, so we are keeping that mind in developing NX."

It is not uncommon for gaming hardware to be sold at a loss, with the money made back by more margin-rich things like games and accessories.

The NX, or whatever it ends up being called, is slated to launch in March 2017. It is not expected to have much of presence at E3 2016 in June.

Some had expected Nintendo to launch the system in time for the busy year-end holiday shopping season. Kimishima said one of the reasons why Nintendo chose March 2017 as the NX's release window was to ensure that "the software lineup will be ready in time for the hardware launch."

Responding to another analyst's question about the NX release window, Kimishima again stressed that having a solid launch lineup is important.

"We believe that when launching hardware, the amount of quality software for consumers to play that is available at launch is important, and that we ought to determine our launch dates based on this," he said.

"The fact that consumers spend more money in the holiday season may be a big factor in why launching then is a good way to start. However, our hardware and software business structure does not end in that year. We want consumers to continue to play this game system for many years, so we believe that in the beginning it is most important to make sure that everything is in order at launch. In that sense, our approach is that we should wait until we can provide a fully realized experience rather than rushing to launch in the holiday season, and this approach has not changed."

You can read Nintendo's summary of Kimishima's Q&A session here on Nintendo's corporate website.

The NX has been described by Nintendo as a "brand-new concept." According to a Wall Street Journal report, it will be a console/mobile hybrid that uses "industry-leading" technology.

In other Nintendo news, the company has confirmed that the new Legend of Zelda, previously only announced for Wii U, is also coming to the NX. You can catch up on all the big Nintendo news in this new roundup.

i like how nintendo is thinking

I just followed Emily Rogers on Twitter and from what I read, that Mario Kart NX rumor isn't a port, it's a new Mario Kart game.
:pimp:
back to whooping y'all in mk8
unless myko cheating self is playing :lol:
Give me a normal controller and I'll actually put in time on MK8. I really can't wait to see what NX is all about. Nintendo bout to have me looking like my younger self on Christmas when ma dukes got us the N64 with SM64 :smokin

You can play Mario Kart 8 with the Game Pad, Pro Controller and the Wiimote. Choose your poison. 
I dislike all of those controllers. The pro controller isn't too bad compared to the rest but I hate the position of the analog sticks *shrugs*

I dislike all of those controllers. The pro controller isn't too bad compared to the rest but I hate the position of the analog sticks *shrugs*
I really dislike the Playstation controllers but I'm not silly enough to use that as an excuse to miss out on all of the fantastic PS games.

Oh well, your problem, not mine. You're missing out on one of the best games of this generation on any platform.

You can play Mario Kart 8 with the Game Pad, Pro Controller and the Wiimote. Choose your poison. 
ur just trash at mk8 is all
That's a fair assessment, I've probably played about 3-5 matches online. I didn't like the controller so I just left the game alone.

I really dislike the Playstation controllers but I'm not silly enough to use that as an excuse to miss out on all of the fantastic PS games.

Oh well, your problem, not mine. You're missing out on one of the best games of this generation on any platform.
I'm not missing out. I play MK8 with my kids, just not online. Nintendo games are better in the living room with friends and family as opposed to online imo.

I'm not missing out. I play MK8 with my kids, just not online. Nintendo games are better in the living room with friends and family as opposed to online imo.
nah smash splatoon and mk8 did online great
one of the best online experiences

^ Damn thank the seven gods for that. I agree about the local multiplayer thing too btw. Nintendo has always been the best at that since the N64 days. 4 player N64 vs 2 player PS1...gimme N64 any day.

I don't doubt that but for myself I need online chat. Games like Smash and MK always gonna have a spot in my heart because me and my bros. grew up on them but not being able to talk **** to them while we play kinda kills the experience for us. That's not a knock on the games at all just more of a reason why I hope the NX is a little more up to date with their hardware.

I don't doubt that but for myself I need online chat. Games like Smash and MK always gonna have a spot in my heart because me and my bros. grew up on them but not being able to talk **** to them while we play kinda kills the experience for us. That's not a knock on the games at all just more of a reason why I hope the NX is a little more up to date with their hardware.
up to date
i mean what is it u want
better graphics????
tons of pretty games out for ps4 and xb1 that are trash

Back
Top Bottom