ill check around this weekend
these right

146872b.jpg

146874b.jpg

146876b.jpg

Big Boss Nintendo Seeks New Sidekicks in Smartphone Battle
Videogame maker’s previous efforts fell behind schedule

BN-WO038_28zgg_OR_20171212101931.jpg

Kyoto-based Nintendo long shunned smartphones, preferring to produce games for its own machines. PHOTO: SHIZUO KAMBAYASHI/ASSOCIATED PRESS
By
Takashi Mochizuki
Dec. 12, 2017 10:29 a.m. ET
0 COMMENTS

TOKYO— Nintendo Co. NTDOY -1.93% is looking to expand tie-ups with software developers to strengthen its smartphone-game lineup after an early alliance aimed at cracking the fast-growing mobile market fell behind schedule, people familiar with the matter said.

Nintendo took a 10% stake in smartphone game maker DeNA Co. in 2015, and the two companies said they would introduce five smartphone games by March 2017. They have introduced only four so far, with the latest, “Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp,” coming in November.

By collaborating with other software developers in addition to DeNA, Nintendo believes that it could raise the pace of new titles, said people familiar with the plans. It isn’t planning to take ownership stakes in its new partners, they said.

Kyoto-based Nintendo long shunned smartphones, preferring to produce games for its own machines. More recently, company executives have said they see smartphones as a gateway to introduce casual gamers to Nintendo’s franchises and encourage them to trade up to its Switch console.

The global market for smartphone games rose 40% in 2016 to about $50 billion, according to Japanese data provider Famitsu, with Japan and China together accounting for more than 60% of the market and the U.S. about 20%.

The rapid growth has put pressure on Nintendo to build its presence in mobile games, even though the area is usually less lucrative than its traditional core business of selling consoles for hundreds of dollars and game software at roughly $60 a pop.

Among the companies that have held discussions about smartphone games with Nintendo is GungHo Online Entertainment Inc., the Tokyo-based maker of the hit “Puzzle & Dragons” smartphone game, said people knowledgeable about the Nintendo-GungHo talks. A GungHo spokeswoman denied that talks with Nintendo took place.

GungHo, a publicly traded company, has released versions of “Puzzle & Dragons” for Nintendo’s 3DS hand-held game devices and was allowed to use characters from the marquee Mario franchise for one of those titles. GungHo has also said it is developing games for the Switch.

SoftBank Group Corp. used to have 39.9% stake in GungHo but now owns only 2.8%.

Taizo Son, a brother of SoftBank Chief Executive Masayoshi Son, separately owns a 25.9% stake and has a title as a part-time director, but the company said Taizo Son isn’t actively involved in management.

DeNA CEO Isao Moriyasu said in November at an earnings news conference that his company has more smartphone games in the pipeline as part of the Nintendo alliance and plans to continue the relationship.

Nintendo reported less than ¥20 billion ($176 million) in revenue in the year ended in March 2017 from its smartphone games, including one featuring Mario. Some investors say the mobile revenue has fallen short of expectations, but Nintendo executives say that rather than try to squeeze out more mobile revenue—which could lead to a consumer backlash—they are focusing on converting those users to buy more expensive products.

One favorable sign: Sales of “Animal Crossing” titles for the Nintendo 3DS hand-held machine have risen in recent weeks after the introduction of the “Animal Crossing” free-to-download smartphone title.

The Nintendo-DeNA partnership hasn’t released smartphone games in China, and plans for that country are proceeding on a separate track. Analysts have said Nintendo was likely to team up with Tencent Holdings Ltd. on mobile games in China. Nintendo has already said Tencent’s “Honor of Kings” game will be available for the Switch.

Asked what would happen if Nintendo distributes its smartphone games in China with new partners, DeNA’s Mr. Moriyasu said his company would still receive revenue as long as it is involved in game development.

:lol:

But really, good for Nintendo for trying something new. There's nowhere left to go for Super Smash Bros.
Yall really out here believing smash is done? :rofl: If theres nowhere left for smash to go then the same goes for every other fighting game.
I will bet you my DB 8s we hear about smash next year

From the PS thread

I haven't beaten 5 games released this yr (or period) I don't think :lol:

1. BOTW (beaten)
2. Odyssey (beaten)
3. AC:O (Will beat)
4. RE7 (beaten)
5. HZD (probably won't beat)

Honorable mention to Oculus Rift. **** Facebook but damn that **** is fun. Superhot VR (beaten) :pimp:

That's the question. Smash 4 dropped in 2014 and is on its way to being 4 years old. If it was a port I think we would have heard about it. Maybe Nintendo wants to do a new smash instead of the smash 4 for the 3rd time
Personally I’d love to have a a Smash 4 Deluxe port with all the DLC in game from the jump

Give me some upgraded graphics, throw Ice Climbers back in the game and we’ve got a classic for years

Yall really out here believing smash is done? :rofl: If theres nowhere left for smash to go then the same goes for every other fighting game.
I will bet you my DB 8s we hear about smash next year
Didn't the creator of Smash say there wasn't going to be another?

Didn't the creator of Smash say there wasn't going to be another?
He never said that but Nintendo wouldn't let this franchise die. Sakurai (the creator) found out brawl was a thing when they announced it to the world. They then asked him to work on it and told him that it would happen with or without him. He did say he needed a break though. NoA COO Reggie Fils Aime (I butchered that spelling) mentioned smash for the switch a couple times as well. Its not an if, its just a when

I could see them not porting smash because of this game that looks exactly like it...but a trailer saying they are working on a new smash like what we been getting with metroid and bayo

Back
Top Bottom