Norcal's GRUB Thread

Originally Posted by JayJunkie

Originally Posted by DimSum9

La Costa on Alum Rock, food is great and it's cheap too. Try the wet burrito.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/la-costa-san-jose-2
Tried it a few weeks ago. Only eat the chicken here. The Carne Asada is
grin.gif
Also, if anyone is a ceviche fan, this is the place for you. Had the shrimp ceviche and it was very generous considering it was only 3 bucks. Oysters are good here too and cheap.
^^^Ceviche there is pretty good! Super Cheap!

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Have you guys tried Golden Boy Pizza in the city?
golden boy is actually not bad. then again my opinion was based on a night of bar hopping in the area. i hear senoire's pizza (2415 19th avenue) is actually pretty good as well. the only good pizzas ive had out there sober are little star and patxis, and i recommend both. then again, theyre not open late and they have a restaurant atmosphere. blondies is eh to me, and pizza orgasmica is decent. 

Originally Posted by LORENander

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Have you guys tried Golden Boy Pizza in the city?
golden boy is actually not bad. then again my opinion was based on a night of bar hopping in the area. i hear senoire's pizza (2415 19th avenue) is actually pretty good as well. the only good pizzas ive had out there sober are little star and patxis, and i recommend both. then again, theyre not open late and they have a restaurant atmosphere. blondies is eh to me, and pizza orgasmica is decent. 
golden boy is legit. the clam garlic pizza they got is pretty good. seniore's is average at best to me. i always felt like if that place closed at normal hours, nobody would care about it. i'd rather hit up nizario's for that late night pizza. and blondie's fell off hard.

Why don't any breakfast spots ever get mentioned in here?
pork store cafe on haight is pretty legit. they're biscuits are crackin. and they got fresh squeezed oj which is always appreciated.

Anyone been to Oasis Grill in the city and tried the chicken wraps. They are bomb!

C'mon guys, lets update this thread more often!

1. Fentons creamery, pistachio icecream - It was ok, didn't think it was THAT great. $4.25
i6e9n4.jpg

2. Five Guys - Pretty good, but bun was soggy. Fries weren't that good (cajun), not a lot of flavor imo. ~$10
13zu7nb.jpg

3. Auntie April's Chicken N Waffles (Hunter's point
laugh.gif
, survived
smokin.gif
) - Not bad, but pretty pricey, $6.25. The nice lady there with that mass
devil.gif

5njak3.jpg

It'd be unfair for me to judge Fentons after only trying one flavor, same applies to Mitchell's (only tried mango).

However, I still love Polly Ann's green tea and taro icecream.

I've never been to Fentons gotta check it out now. Tads Steakhouse is pretty good the half a chicken with a side of potato and fries I think for $10

San Jose:

1) La Costa: amazing ceviche, burritos (with grilled pineapple) and tacos - all items under $3.75!! definitely the go-to spot!

2) Nam Tien: BEST pho broth you'll ever have! they actually add oxtail and star anise which gives the whole bowl a uniquely, savory flavor. NO MSG/OIL either.

3) Aroma: best vietnamese sandwiches ever. get the grilled pork. desserts are very good here too.

4) Texas Smokehouse: straight-up hood looking, run-down shack in a residential area that makes some of the BEST fall-off-the bone ribs, brisket, and links

5) Straits: overpriced upscale Singaporean/Southeast Asian food @ Santana Row. Great place to bring the ladies.

Fentons - try the black and tan. The toasted almond is also good.

It's hard to say which is better, Mitchell's or Fentons. They both are good.
Mitchell's does have tropical flavors, and Fentons does not.

Originally Posted by RhInoSpOrt

Fentons - try the black and tan. The toasted almond is also good.

It's hard to say which is better, Mitchell's or Fentons. They both are good.
Mitchell's does have tropical flavors, and Fentons does not.
Honestly, Fentons is overrated. Raised in the East Bay, I've grown up on Fenton's Ice Cream.  They have all the classic American flavors, but they're very heavy with the cream (nh).

Mitchell's, Bi-Rite, & Polyann's > Fenton's.

That Mexican Chocolate Ice Cream @ Mitchell's > ALL. (and i'm not even a chocolate fan)

Had Polly Ann mango ice cream recently and I'm hooked. Store bought though since the shop is in SF.

Originally Posted by thapointguy

Had Polly Ann mango ice cream recently and I'm hooked. Store bought though since the shop is in SF.
I hate to be so repetitive, but try the green tea or taro flavor...Those > Mango imo. Polly Ann's is the truth.

Back
Top Bottom