NT 5 Speed/Standard Car Drivers

I just recently bought a 5 speed car. After driving for about an hour, my left foot has been starting to hurt. I know you have to step all the way down on theclutch to shift or downshift but is your left foot suppose to hurt?

Were you driving in traffic or something? The only time I've had my left leg hurt (not my feet, but my calf) was when I was driving my friend's carwith a 6 puck clutch on bumper to bumper traffic going uphill on the 405 freeway here in SoCal.

There's controversial about needing to step in the way or not. I personally do it because it's a habit, but there are folks out there who just pressdown enough to shift w/o grinding.

If your foot is hurting, I'm guessing that your seating position/leg position is bad.

It's probably sore because you're never done it before. Just give it time, your foot will be ok. You don't have to press all the day down as longas your gears aren't grinding. Also remember to not use your clutch excessively.

Originally Posted by Solemate96

Originally Posted by Tupac Jordan

What car do you drive? Use your whole leg not just your foot.
1992 Nissan Sentra
my aunt has that 2 door hooptie, but it's an automatic. i got the same leg cramps. i know what you are talking about. you're whole leg ishurting. it lasted me about a couple of days before it went away. i only drove that thing once and never again. i beleive it's the seat postition. try tostretch your leg out and lean back as much as possible.

you just gotta relax...sit closer to the wheel...harder to work a stick car if youre doing the gangsta lean in the car. if you tighten up cause youre nervousit might happen and your shifts wont be as smooth. an oem clutch shouldnt be hard to drive....only time my leg started to hurt when i was driving a 6puckunsprung race clutch for a week as a daily....my leg kept cramping up.

Thanks for the all the info fellas. It is a hooptie and a half. I'm just going to relax, take it slow and just keep working on it. This is the only wayI'm going to drive now. Automatics are just so boring.

Question: So I don't have to stamp down on the clutch. Just enough so that I can shift gears?

Thanks for the all the info fellas. It is a hooptie and a half. I'm just going to relax, take it slow and just keep working on it. This is the only way I'm going to drive now. Automatics are just so boring.

Question: So I don't have to stamp down on the clutch. Just enough so that I can shift gears?
youre supposed to clutch in all the way......no arguments. i dont do it nor do i recommend it, but some people can get away with clutching in justenough to shift

it's an older car, so the clutch is probably harder to depress, too. i remember when i had my e36 m3, the clutch was butter soft.

you'll get used to it, though. and remember not to depress the clutch when you're just sitting at a traffic light.

Originally Posted by wj4

Were you driving in traffic or something? The only time I've had my left leg hurt (not my feet, but my calf) was when I was driving my friend's car with a 6 puck clutch on bumper to bumper traffic going uphill on the 405 freeway here in SoCal.

There's controversial about needing to step in the way or not. I personally do it because it's a habit, but there are folks out there who just press down enough to shift w/o grinding.

If your foot is hurting, I'm guessing that your seating position/leg position is bad.
i just press the the clutch down far enough to engage it when im shifting.

1992 Nissan Sentra

thats the problem. A SENTRA.......hopefully u have the sr20det in it. but on a second note. my left foot feels great shiftin my 350z.

You don't need to push all the way down, but if you're just learning it might be because you're foot isn' t strong enough.

fix your seat positioning, rest your leg when you are not shifting, dont be nervous on the road; youre not going to lunge into the car infront of you, all inall you will get more comfortable the more you drive your car.

I just went for a cruise and I didn't stall out at all!
smile.gif

I'm still just getting it but I have no clue with Reverse. Say for example, I'm backing out of my driveway and I have to stop because of oncomingtraffic when the roads are clear is it the same as going into first gear and doing the balance act with the clutch and the gas because it feels a littledifferent. I'm still stalling out badly when I'm in reverse.

hmm i don't remember if your leg is suppose to hurt the first time. i'm sure you might feel more tense cause ur leg is not used to it? it definatelygives your leg a work out though. after you drive for a while, try to press the brake pedal w/ ur left leg...it'll be fun.

also it'll take you a couple months of self trial and error to get it down. take your time, whoever says they mastered driving stick in an hour is LYING.you can learn of it in an hour but you can't beat years of experience.

Originally Posted by De La MONEY

1992 Nissan Sentra

thats the problem. A SENTRA.......hopefully u have the sr20det in it. but on a second note. my left foot feels great shiftin my 350z.

eyes.gif
Man some NTer's... Plus you should have at least said you had ae36 like the other dude. But instead you are bragging about your "Z car" like you are whipping a lambo. Jesus, based on the "post your carthread" at least 80% NT drives a nicer car than you.

I personally support your sentra man. I started in 96' with a 85' Honda Accord, I got handed the keys and was told "you push that one on theleft down to shift", that was the whole tutorial. But moving your seat up should help alot, even with my current car which has a really feather softclutch, if someone else drives and pushes the seat back I gotta move it way up or my leg will get sore. I've driven some heavily modded cars or trucks withsome super heavy clutch action too, but with a 92 sentra that shouldn't be an issue. Just try moving the seat and practicing, before long unless we aretalking stop and go you should be cool. I have been driving a manual for 12 years now and I never get that unless I am in some heavy traffic for an hour plusor something.

you are just sore from using both feet

maybe your a little tense and your muscles are getting tight cause your new to it or nervous some how......

Lmao its something new to that foot, you will get used to it, i love driving a stick shift, wouldn't have it any other way!

Try doing some squats or something if it hurts, it may help you have a little more control over your legs to clutch better.

Back
Top Bottom