NT Book Club Vol. WDYRTD

Currently reading Machiavelli's The Prince. I plan on finishing by next Tuesday, then on to Plato's Republic.

Current To Read List:
The Wealth of Nations
Leviathan
Art of War
A Clockwork Orange
Fahrenheit 451 (again)

Recommend me a few books fellow NTers. Something along the lines of philosophy, politics, or a good fiction.
I recommend First Among Equals. Its about British Parliament, I read it in jail and its a good read.

200px-CormacMcCarthy_BloodMeridian.jpg

I have a feeling reading this right before I go to bed is a bad idea.

Originally Posted by 2sappy

i just finished reading Don Quixote earlier today. Great story. I almost shed a tear for him at the end. 
laugh.gif

His epitaph was
pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
Here lies the noble fearless knight,
Whose valor rose to such a height;
When death at last had struck him down,
His was the victory and renown.
He reck'd the world of little prize,
And was a bugbear in men's eyes;
But had the fortune in his age
to live a fool and die a sage.

I'm contemplating whether starting the divine comedy next (Inferno, Purgatorio, and Paradisio) or the Sword of Truth series (what the legend of the seeker tv series was based off of). any thoughts?
I felt the same way after I finished Don Quixote, it was sad to think that it was over.  I read through that book in four days and I couldn't believe it was over, crazy.

I'm almost done with the Divine Comedy.  I'm currently on Paradiso but I wish I had started with the Aeneid first because of Virgil's role in the Comedy, so it would have been better to start off with the work that Dante references to in the work.  I'll probably read that afterwards though, and then it's off to the Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.

Reading Devil in the White City currently. Pretty good so far. Know Leo bought the movie rights recently...

Any of my well-read brethren an e-reader?

I have a closet full of books, but they can become a nuisance to carry around.

A slim profile e-reader can replace my entire library. But books don't need tobe recharged.

Is there a website that has a list to all of the books on the iBooks App for the iPhone?

Currently reading the 4 Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferris. I got shook a few weeks ago when Darryl from The Office gave a shoutout to the book mid-scene while it was in my hands 
indifferent.gif
eek.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

Any of my well-read brethren an e-reader?

I have a closet full of books, but they can become a nuisance to carry around.

A slim profile e-reader can replace my entire library. But books don't need tobe recharged.

I don't visit this thread enough but I am a chronic reader and I pretty much live and die by iBooks as of about 6 months ago. Make life so much easier since I always have my ipad

The iPad's LCD screen is a pain on the eyes for extended reading, IMO.

I read one full book on there, but this was the last time.

Still, I don't want to repay for books I already have.

My Nook's in the mail.
smokin.gif

I have well over 140 books and would be willing to sell some or part of my collection.

I may just give them away.

im looking for a place to give mine away. but the places i've seen cater to little kids.

my collection isn't exactly aimed at children lol

If I had the space I'd say send some here, but chill
laugh.gif

Currently reading A Visit From the Goon Squad by Jennifer Egan and the new Steve Jobs biography. Both are pretty good thus far.

let me know how that jobs book is, from what i've been hearing on NPR.. it's worth a read.

Back
Top Bottom