NT Do You Own a Home or Rent? (Your age? Location?)

I don't think Atlanta prices of homes will ever be close to DC. 10-15 years, the prices in the DC area will go up. DC is just like NYC as far as cost of living. It's no joke.

Good Idea.

I got 2 cousins with cribs in ATL also. I feel like NC is that place to copp property right now.

Last edited:
When you're buying a property, do A LOT of research first.

1. Check the neighborhood comps.

2. Look at the statistics as far as crime.

3. If you REALLY want to see a return on your investment, look at the neighborhood schools. If they are good-to-great, that's a HUGE bonus.

Property taxes mad high in CT though... that **** is like another mortgage.

I factor that into my home buying decision also because I was thinking about moving to LI but some parts have property taxes in the $15,000 range and that's $1K+ added onto your mortgage too monthly.

Then when you pay off for the house by that time the property taxes would be even higher and it would be like you're still paying a mortgage even though you paid off for the house.

I guess that's why a lot in the Northeast migrate down to Florida to retire... or Costa Rica.

Yes prop taxes in CT are no joke. This state is expensive.

I KNOW a lot of baby boomers who do not plan to retire up here. I been tellin my moms about NC for a while now because I tell her I will never visit her in her home state of Mississippi.

Good Idea.

I got 2 cousins with cribs in ATL also. I feel like NC is that place to cool property right now.

Yeah I'm hearing NC is the move and also it's right in the middle to that trip up wouldn't be that bad driving.

I'm trying to talk my chick into letting me commute fly and we buy a crib out of state man.

I want to buy something in GA or FL seeing the space you get compared to something in NYC, but she's not having it.

We could have a crib fully paid out for in like less than 3-5 years, but she doesn't want to do that move :smh:

Yeah I'm hearing NC is the move and also it's right in the middle to that trip up wouldn't be that bad driving.

I'm trying to talk my chick into letting me commute fly and we buy a crib out of state man.

I want to buy something in GA or FL seeing the space you get compared to something in NYC, but she's not having it.

We could have a crib fully paid out for in like less than 3-5 years, but she doesn't want to do that move :smh:

I don't want to own up here anymore..........I plan to move into Stamford which has not happened yet which is close to NYC. With rental properties down south. You better tell your girl to listen. I moms been looking into bids on condo/apt complex down south. This is where other investors come into play also.

Last edited:

Rent

Chicago

I share rent with my gf so that really helps. 2 bed for $950 aint bad in a large city. Will not think about purchasing a home for at least another 8 years, there are still so many places I want to live. 

Rent
Chicago

I share rent with my gf so that really helps. 2 bed for $950 aint bad in a large city. Will not think about purchasing a home for at least another 8 years, there are still so many places I want to live. 

Not bad, im paying $650 for a studio, hows your area?

in before the typical NTers says they live with mommy to "stack" money

This kinda irks me........I know plenty of ppl who do in fact live with mommy to stack......student loans......along with other expenses an very high rent.....you either living with 4 ppl or you should be stacking or you have a 900+ apartment . 800 is like minimum for a crap apartment up here. 1200+ nice NT standards

Ppl with careers.

Last edited:

Own

Austin, TX

My roommate from my previous apartment is now my tenant and paying half my mortgage. 
nthat.gif

Austin is blowing up, everybody on Earf is trying to move here. I was born here and I used to get annoyed with all the congestion and with all these dorks that come here for SXSW, ACL, Formula 1, and now X Games... but now that I own; I'm like bring it on, it will only make my home value go up. 

Neighborhoods that you wouldn't even want to be in 10 years ago have completely changed and are now the "It" spots. I just bought my first home two months ago in one of these neighborhoods and I'm already noticing a change when I drive around. Every time I see a white woman walking her dog or a white dude jogging in my area I'm like:

Own ...

Location is the most important aspect of owning a home if u aren't sure that you want to live there for ever.

It will be easier to rent or sell if u ever move.

Last edited:

Own

Austin, TX

My roommate from my previous apartment is now my tenant and paying half my mortgage. 
nthat.gif

Austin is blowing up, everybody on Earf is trying to move here. I was born here and I used to get annoyed with all the congestion and with all these dorks that come here for SXSW, ACL, Formula 1, and now X Games... but now that I own; I'm like bring it on, it will only make my home value go up. 

Neighborhoods that you wouldn't even want to be in 10 years ago have completely changed and are now the "It" spots. I just bought my first home two months ago in one of these neighborhoods and I'm already noticing a change when I drive around. Every time I see a white woman walking her dog or a white dude jogging in my area I'm like:
Man im one of those people. I want to move to Austin sooooooo bad. My love for live music is no joke. However UT has been moving up the ranks in a lot of graduate programs. I know it has always been a good school, but in the last few years I feel like their rankings have drastically increase.

Not bad, im paying $650 for a studio, hows your area?
I will be moving there at the beginning of Sept. We will be living in Logan Square, my gf mom is the landlord and I think she decreased the rent by $100. I live in New Haven CT right now so I have not been able to check it out. Pm me your info if your trying to chill. I love meeting new people and have enjoyed all my NT meetups.

22 years old

Currently renting in Columbia, MD

$725 a month for a room in a huge 3 story town home. utilities and cable/internet all included.

Last edited:
Rent
Hawaii

Going back to DMV and will be buying in two years. Closing on a rental property in SC in dec.

Hopefully she will be using me to buy. :smile: LOL

Age 29
Own 3 homes. (2 rentals, one primary)
2 in Hampton, VA and the Primary is in VA Beach.

I cannot speak for others but home ownership was the best decision I have ever made. I am also a RE Agent so by nature I am pro-own but I can understand why some rent. Do a little research and you guys can see it is more beneficial for you to own. Especially cities and countys giving grants to those that qualify. Just sold a home to a couple and USDA gave them 5000 for thier down payment and closing costs. They moved into their new(bulit in jan.) home yesterday. Also for some that think its not an investment I have a young lady whom i convinced to buy a chinese drywall build back and she got it for 200K (140k for loan 60k for build back) her home is worth 325k right now. She has over 100k in equity. It can be done guys. If youre in the DMV I can help if you need it. :smile:

If anyone has some info on NC or NYC property, quote me up. I'm tryna get lost, I need my own property :x

The problem is moving down south is that no one wants to live down there.

The cheap houses are cheap for a reason.
I have lived in a 2 story, 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom home with my 2 sisters, mom, and dad for 16 years of my life, and the worst thing wrong with our house is our flat screen just broke because of lightning damage to cords. Plus our microwave is on its way out, but that's our fault.
South living b.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom