NT gamers, what are your thoughts on SONY and Microsoft "banning" you from playing used games?

Originally Posted by jonnyybp

No offline gaming? now thats just ridiculous
Yeah, especially since my router sucks and I get signed out of my account all the time.  
laugh.gif
mad.gif

It sucks that we won't be able to lend or borrow games from our friends anymore.

How are they going to force you to connect your system to the internet? Doesnt make sense. What if you dont have internet or cant do wifi or something?

When barriers go up its just a matter of time before some one finds a way around them.  There better start being a black market of games online.  Have to connect to the internet? Hopefully people learn to upload games to the internet and we can download all of them for free.
But these game companies honestly don't care because they don't see a penny from the used game market.  I hope that they let you play used games and just charge you like a $5 fee for it because as of now i buy about 1 new game a year maybe 2.  The rest i grab used.  But i don't plan on buying a durango or orbis until 2014-2015.  I will worry about it then. 

Well I guess Gamestop, EB Games, Slackers, and other stores will be going out of business in 2013

And these companies wonder why folks like Anon shut down their systems. Smh. I can see mass chaos if this goes through

If there's a one-time fee then it might work but a fee for every used game es no bueno

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

meh, i never buy used games anyway

This. (even though I haven't bought video games in a while)

So I really don't have a problem with that,

But no offline gaming?
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
30t6p3b.gif

I hardly play videos games much nowadays let alone bought one in a while. I haven't even renewed my XBL since it expired in early Jan.
With that being said I think this is pretty messed up by these companies. Its just another way for them to squeeze money out of us, almost like all the downloadable content that comes out after the game drop

Its cool with me I play PC and I can't return or trade in games most of the time anyway due to digital distribution. The games I do buy on consoles are the ones I want to keep anyway.

For everyone else I can see this hurting the mother who wants a cheap game for her kid. Thanks to how video games are sold and made it makes since. Games only make money in the initial sale unless they become a cult classic.

Originally Posted by SEAN C0MBS

buckle up, Sony enthusiasts. A tipster has told Kotaku that the PlayStation 4 is named "Orbis" and that it will feature an anti-used-game system, offer no backward compatibility with PlayStation 3 titles, and ship in holiday 2013.

Orbis is just a code name…or is it?

As for the first part of the rumor, multiple sources told the blog that the Orbis will sport some sort of anti-used-game measure. Full Orbis games will be available via Blu-ray disc or as a PlayStation Network download and will be locked to a single PSN account. Players will not be able to circumvent the system by remaining offline, as the source said users will be forced to be connected to the PSN to boot up their games.

Gamers will be free to trade in Orbis games, but the person who purchases a secondhand disc will be restricted to a limited trial mode or "some other form of content restriction." These gamers will be forced to pay a fee to unlock the full title, according to the source.
Kotaku broke the story right? Oh... let's see what they actually have to say about it...

[h2][/h2]
[h2]SO LONG, USED GAMES[/h2]
Just like the next Xbox/Durango, we've heard from multiple sources that the Orbis will likewise have some kind of anti-used games measures built into the console. Here's how our main source says it's currently shaping up: new games for the system will be available one of two ways, either on a Blu-Ray disc or as a PSN download (yes, even full retail titles). If you buy the disc, it must be locked to a single PSN account, after which you can play the game, save the whole thing to your HDD, or peg it as "downloaded" in your account history and be free to download it at a later date.

Don't think you can simply buy the disc and stay offline, though; like many PC games these days, you'll need to have a PSN account and be online to even get the thing started.

UPDATE - Since some people seem to have taken this to mean the console requires an "always on" intenet connection, we've heard nothing about that. All we've heard is that you need to authenticate a new game online via the PSN.

If you then decide to trade that disc in, the pre-owned customer picking it up will be limited in what they can do. While our sources were unclear on how exactly the pre-owned customer side of things would work, it's believed used games will be limited to a trial mode or some other form of content restriction, with consumers having to pay a fee to unlock/register the full game.

This would allow used games to continue to be sold at outlets such as GameStop, while also appeasing major publishers who would no longer have to implement their own haphazard approaches to "online passes".

Source: http://kotaku.com/5896996/the-next-playstation-is-called-orbis-sources-say-here-are-the-details

Stop sensationalizing everything and do some got damn research. No one is "banning" you from playing used games. There are not plans to make it so you can't play offline games. Get out of here with that nonsense.

diddy.gif

Originally Posted by Dathbgboy

And these companies wonder why folks like Anon shut down their systems. Smh. I can see mass chaos if this goes through

If there's a one-time fee then it might work but a fee for every used game es no bueno

This. 

Ok I remember that there was a PS3 rumor where the Blu-ray disc would be marked so it only worked with that play station. This is a rumor and nothing more. If this was a announcement of feature set from a known developer or Sony then it would be worrying over.

Chill the hell out

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

30t6p3b.gif
@This world of greed we're living in

except the greed is on both sides of the fence, publishers wanting a share off their product being sold 2nd hand vs gamestop who wants all of the 2nd hand profit (and possibly pressures used > new)

people are jumping to a lot of conclusions because of rumors which is sad because its going to be at least a year before anything concrete surfaces
ohwell.gif

also people thinking that sony/m$ plan on completely cutting off services like blockbuster and gamefly are crazy
laugh.gif
  chances are that unregistered games will get a few days, or who's to say that they wont be providing some kind of codes
frown.gif

It's not a terrible idea.
I just know that human ingenuity will find a way to get around this.
Hackers don't get discouraged easily.

Back
Top Bottom