NT Help Me Pick A Major #434598

Finance
Computer Science
Biology/Chemistry

Those three are the only majors where graduates are actually making money after graduation in this economy

I'm 25 and I was a computer science major. I'm making $70K/yearly:wink:. I know finance majors that are the same age as me and are making $80K/yearly

If something computer related is your passion, go for it...despite the competition. Competition breeds excellence.

I wish I knew more about computers to give you specific advice but your still 18 and your asking the right questions. I myself had to switch majors after attending a CC. And it was because of advice I asked similar to what your asking right now. Pay attention to those who give specific advice and research each position and related positions. Their should be a college majors book out their that you can either get from the library or buy on amazon.

www.bls.gov ...go to the occupational handbook section and research the jobs you find interesting.

If something computer related is your passion, go for it...despite the competition. Competition breeds excellence.

I wish I knew more about computers to give you specific advice but your still 18 and your asking the right questions. I myself had to switch majors after attending a CC. And it was because of advice I asked similar to what your asking right now. Pay attention to those who give specific advice and research each position and related positions. Their should be a college majors book out their that you can either get from the library or buy on amazon.

www.bls.gov ...go to the occupational handbook section and research the jobs you find interesting.

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by RighteousKungFu

I'm leaning towards something in IT, or Finance

Try MIS? Finance was what I really wanted to do too, but there is zero calling for finance majors down here and they all end up just working as a bank teller or something.

MIS combines IT, computer science, and business. I just switched to it myself from electrical/computer engineering.
Going to major in that and minor in math since it's only 2 more classes. and I HATE math
hmmmm.....
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by RighteousKungFu

I'm leaning towards something in IT, or Finance

Try MIS? Finance was what I really wanted to do too, but there is zero calling for finance majors down here and they all end up just working as a bank teller or something.

MIS combines IT, computer science, and business. I just switched to it myself from electrical/computer engineering.
Going to major in that and minor in math since it's only 2 more classes. and I HATE math
hmmmm.....
nerd.gif

You guys are a big help. I'm definitely going to look in to MIS and the Khan Academy link for math.

Still open to more advice fellas.

You guys are a big help. I'm definitely going to look in to MIS and the Khan Academy link for math.

Still open to more advice fellas.

Originally Posted by uknowho85

Finance
Computer Science
Biology/Chemistry

Those three are the only majors where graduates are actually making money after graduation in this economy

I'm 25 and I was a computer science major. I'm making $70K/yearly:wink:. I know finance majors that are the same age as me and are making $80K/yearly
This is what I will be majoring in when I enroll in class for the fall.

Originally Posted by uknowho85

Finance
Computer Science
Biology/Chemistry

This is what I will be majoring in when I enroll in class for the fall.

Here is something to consider in terms of job opportunities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13807815

and also the medical field will always has jobs available

Also consider minoring in philosophy, your good writing skills will help you there, an ethics class or two will certainly help you. Employers like to see that their workers can analyze and think. If you are going into CS/IT, I suggest a logic class.

Here is something to consider in terms of job opportunities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-13807815

and also the medical field will always has jobs available

Also consider minoring in philosophy, your good writing skills will help you there, an ethics class or two will certainly help you. Employers like to see that their workers can analyze and think. If you are going into CS/IT, I suggest a logic class.

Back
Top Bottom