NT Help Me Pick A Major #434598

I'm entering my sophomore year (Community College of Baltimore County: Catonsville Campus 
grin.gif
)  and it's time to start thinking of a major for when I transfer. I'm 18 with a GPA of 3.5. I'm leaning towards something in IT, or Finance, or something medical 
eyes.gif
 Honestly I'd love to do something in IT or Finance but my sub-par math skills really hold me back... Anyway here are some of my attributes I guess you could say. Ask any more questions if you'd like. 
  • I'm a very fast learner
  • Excellent at basic math skills, but as soon as I see some college algebra I tap out 
    laugh.gif
  • Love working with computers
  • Not really a big fan of working with people
  • Love basketball, video games, shoes, movies, a good book... etc. (Idk if it relates)
  • Pretty conservative in general, but once I get comfortable in my environment I'm very outgoing.  
  • I've always been a great writer
  • Not the most creative person in the world but I have my moments
  • I have no problem with public speaking
As much as this seems like Dating/Personal ad I assure you it isn't 
laugh.gif

Be nice 
happy.gif

I'm entering my sophomore year (Community College of Baltimore County: Catonsville Campus 
grin.gif
)  and it's time to start thinking of a major for when I transfer. I'm 18 with a GPA of 3.5. I'm leaning towards something in IT, or Finance, or something medical 
eyes.gif
 Honestly I'd love to do something in IT or Finance but my sub-par math skills really hold me back... Anyway here are some of my attributes I guess you could say. Ask any more questions if you'd like. 
  • I'm a very fast learner
  • Excellent at basic math skills, but as soon as I see some college algebra I tap out 
    laugh.gif
  • Love working with computers
  • Not really a big fan of working with people
  • Love basketball, video games, shoes, movies, a good book... etc. (Idk if it relates)
  • Pretty conservative in general, but once I get comfortable in my environment I'm very outgoing.  
  • I've always been a great writer
  • Not the most creative person in the world but I have my moments
  • I have no problem with public speaking
As much as this seems like Dating/Personal ad I assure you it isn't 
laugh.gif

Be nice 
happy.gif

Most of the time, people with math difficulties had issues learning 1 or 2 fundamental early concepts that they never fixed. If that's what you really want to do, don't let that hold you back.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Use the video lectures here to supplement courses as well as for review. The math section is so thorough, all you have to do is put in some time.

Most of the time, people with math difficulties had issues learning 1 or 2 fundamental early concepts that they never fixed. If that's what you really want to do, don't let that hold you back.

http://www.khanacademy.org/

Use the video lectures here to supplement courses as well as for review. The math section is so thorough, all you have to do is put in some time.

Originally Posted by RighteousKungFu

Honestly I'd love to do something in IT or Finance but my sub-par math skills really hold me back...

Dont let that stop you if it's really what you want to do. I struggle with math a lot too, but I'm dead set on earning a finance degree because that's what I want to do. If I can do it, you can too. Trust me.

Honestly I'd love to do something in IT or Finance but my sub-par math skills really hold me back...

Dont let that stop you if it's really what you want to do. I struggle with math a lot too, but I'm dead set on earning a finance degree because that's what I want to do. If I can do it, you can too. Trust me.

I'm leaning towards something in IT, or Finance

Try MIS? Finance was what I really wanted to do too, but there is zero calling for finance majors down here and they all end up just working as a bank teller or something.

MIS combines IT, computer science, and business. I just switched to it myself from electrical/computer engineering.
Going to major in that and minor in math since it's only 2 more classes. and I HATE math

Try MIS? Finance was what I really wanted to do too, but there is zero calling for finance majors down here and they all end up just working as a bank teller or something.

MIS combines IT, computer science, and business. I just switched to it myself from electrical/computer engineering.
Going to major in that and minor in math since it's only 2 more classes. and I HATE math

Originally Posted by omgitswes

i wish i would have known this like two years ago.

30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

i wish i would have known this like two years ago.

30t6p3b.gif

You can still do Finance.. but you have to get through business calculus, just put in time and you'll be fine. The "not really a big fan of working with people" scares me though in the Business world.

You can still do Finance.. but you have to get through business calculus, just put in time and you'll be fine. The "not really a big fan of working with people" scares me though in the Business world.

Finance
Computer Science
Biology/Chemistry

Those three are the only majors where graduates are actually making money after graduation in this economy

I'm 25 and I was a computer science major. I'm making $70K/yearly:wink:. I know finance majors that are the same age as me and are making $80K/yearly

Back
Top Bottom