NT I need opinions, plasma or lcd vol. is there really a difference ?

i almost bought a 50 inch plasma, but my wife talked me out of it saying all this negetive !$% abouts plasma tv's. is there really a difference or is thisjust something nerds fight to the death about ? ive heard lcd is better but i dont really see the difference. btw the tv was a samsung brand new $1200.

plasma is heavier
plasma is terrible for watching sports and videogames (burn in)
plasma lifespan is shorter

plasma picture is MUCH CRISPER.. word to pioneer KURO

heard OLED tvs are going to murk plasma/lcd TVs.. once they go down in price.. which i know it'll be awhile.. cuz i believe a 15 inch oled is like 2500

Anyway, I believe LCDs are more expensive than Plasmas. and basically what cinco said. but i heard plasmas fixed the burn in problem by having the picture selfrefresh after a certain time

plasma lifespan is much LONGER than lcd (if taken care of correctly)
picture is much more crisper (if you have hd box and the proper wiring)

just got a 50 inch hitachi 1080-p and love it

3 year warranty for the win

Won't the 120hz help clean up sports watching?

I thought sports were better on a plasma than an lcd?

Burn in is becoming less of an issue nowadays, there's a lot of new models now that don't even give burn in. Pioneer Kuro plasmas are awesome but alsocarry a hefty price.

I got a Samsung Aquos, LCD, I did the researche before gettin it and i must say it made more sense to get an lcd.

honestly Plasmas have great blacks (colors compare to LCD where most blacks look faded)
Plasma have better picture when it fast moving pictures, and has a faster refreash rate compare to LCDs. (plasma refreash is over 400 something hurts)
Plasmas Also dont need to have a huge contrast ratio to get a great picture, most plasma constast ratios are 5000 or less. Colors just seem better on plasmas.

and the temperature of 50 inch plasma compared to a 50 inch LCD is like 1 or 2 Degrees less.

Also plasam have a tough glass screen with some models have antiglaire technology. And new models have technology to earse burn in.

LCDs you touch the soft screen it get all blurry. LCDs you need to speed the BIG bucks to have picture look better then plasmas.

Lcd have longer life span, compare to plasma because use less energy, and less heat. (sorry for all the bad spelled words)

BOth TVs are good. I own 1 plasma in my living room and I have 4 LCDs around the house.

samsung tvs break fast, and dont ever buy a open box tv from bestbuy!!!!!!! it like buying a used matress, dont do it!!!!

sharp aquos, not samsung.
tips, if ur buying a plasma check out panasonic they make the best ones.
samsungs make plasma, lcd, and dlp (they sell the most buy have high defect rates I swear)
sony now only make LCD ( they stop making the big rear projection tvs there all on closeout and clearence that what I hear at work!!!)
Pioneer stop making plasmas I heard.
Sharp only make LCD and they TV are alway made great!!!!

Originally Posted by Djhyper66

samsungs make plasma, lcd, and dlp (they sell the most buy have high defect rates I swear)
sony now only make LCD

indifferent.gif
PIONEER>>>>>>>>>> PANNY

indifferent.gif
sony ALSO makes SXRD (their DLP spinoff)

indifferent.gif
Pioneer stopped producing their own PLASMA Panels, but are still making plasma units.

thanx for the info people, goin to get one tomorrow. i'd like to get this one if my pockets feel like showin off

KDL-70XBR3main.jpg

Sony KDL-70XBR3 LCD HDTV
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

i have a panasonic plasma, its 1080p and what not, works good, nice picture very crisp, had it since november and i play cod4 all day and watch sportscenter,sporting events and what not and ive never seen even a spec of burn in. and movies look better on my tv than any of my friends who have lcd sets.

I wonder if anyone did a true cost analysis on the difference in electricity bills for plasmas(more energy consumption) vs LCD's

^ Im pretty positive the cost couldnt be a huge difference, maybe a couple bucks every month? Depending on usage.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Originally Posted by Djhyper66

sony now only make LCD

indifferent.gif
PIONEER>>>>>>>>>> PANNY

indifferent.gif
sony ALSO makes SXRD (their DLP spinoff)

indifferent.gif
Pioneer stopped producing their own PLASMA Panels, but are still making plasma units.
Sony discontinued SXRD. they only make LCD now.

Originally Posted by Joe Billionaire

plasma lifespan is much LONGER than lcd (if taken care of correctly)
picture is much more crisper (if you have hd box and the proper wiring)

just got a 50 inch hitachi 1080-p and love it

3 year warranty for the win
Lifespan is about the same actually.
Plasma is going to offer you a picture that "pops" out and is more vibrant. Plasma is a bit more fragile than LCD. It has a glass screen that couldcrack while transporting.
Plasma burn-in with newer models doesn't exist. There are preventative features and newer panel designs that prohibit permanent screen retention.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

I wonder if anyone did a true cost analysis on the difference in electricity bills for plasmas(more energy consumption) vs LCD's
I think it was in one of the Consumer Report issues a while back that it stated there isn't much of a difference with power usage. Plasma wasa little higher, but nothing drastic.
I have a LCD and if I get close to it, I can feel the heat coming off of it. So I know it's using a lot of juice. I know Plasmas get warm as well.

I wouldn't get either if it was me.. About a year ago I went through this same question and which one to get.. I spent months looking at TV's andtrying to figure what I wanted and how much I wanted to spend..

LCD
- You will almost always see a blur when playing a high paced video game such as basketball or soccer. Also you will see this blur when watching the sportingevents. ( I am extremely picky about TVs and the way they look) Me myself I still see it when watching the programs in HD. The reason for this is the REFRESHRATE. Lower the number better the TV will be. I think the lowest at the moment is 6ms. With a lower refresh rate this makes the TV more expensive most of thetime. Also when the TV dies, what can you do with it? Pretty much nothing might as well put it in the garbage. To conclude this about LCD, I don't see whyyou would pay so much more for something that just doesn't look that great... Best thing about it is you can hang it on the wall, but that is overrated...

Plasma
- You don't get the blur with the plasma and video games and sporting events look way better on the plasma than the LCD. But the price for these type ofTV's are always expensive unless you get some lower end brand that doesn't look near as good as a better brand. The main downfall for me in this TV iswhen the TV dies, you can "refuel" it but you will never get the same picture as you had when you bought the TV and will not be as vibrant. A prettybig downfall for me.. Also, there is still some burn in but nothing like it used to be.. So that isn't a real problem anymore...

WHAT I GOT AND IMO IS BETTER BUY FOR YOUR $$$

DLP
- A DLP is the way to go in my eyes. You get your $$$ when buying a DLP. You can purchase a 50" DLP for the price of 30-40" Plasma and LCD. Also whenyou have HD connected to your TV it is the best looking model out. It runs on a bulb so when the bulb goes dead...................... You can replace it andmost of the time you get one bulb replacement under the regular warranty.. (can purchase extended for more) When you replace the BULB you are getting the samepicture when you bought it the first day. You can't tell a difference at all no matter how old your TV is. So it's almost like you have a new TV. Inall I think DLP is the way to go if buying a new TV... And with the slimFIT DLP's they take up hardly any room at all...

plasma is terrible for watching sports

what.... its the opposite, LCD has slow response time... DLP is a dead technology, no one wants some big fat TV like it is 1996 still. OLED is the futurethough

bro.. how u gonna reccomend a DLP over a plasma or lcd... you're trippin.. DLPs are cool if there is one person sitting in the middle and watching it.. butif you're on the side, straight garbage.. and ur gonna try to say you get a crisper image on a DLP over a plasma or lcd... you're straight trippinboo...

I own a plasma... I dono right now they both have pros and cons.. i coulda eaisly got a LCD instead... what i suggest is just waiting untill you get a gooddeal.. if its on a LCD go for the an LCD.. if its on a plasma.. get a plasma...

from what i understand most manufactures are gonna go to LCD only in the future.

Back
Top Bottom