NT: Official Personal Finances Thread

While heloc is tied to the value of your home I'm not sure they always re-asses the line of credit. I have friends who have had helocs on their properties for a decade plus without adjustments.
Did they have draw periods longer than 10 years? 10 years is generally the max you have access to the credit with payback period being the next 10-30 years afterwards. Though I believe you can apply for another HELOC or do some type of refinancing to keep a line open.

The bank can put a freeze on the line or reduce the limit if the home value or your personal credit score drops significantly. Something to keep in mind before maxing it out for home improvement projects, debt consolidation, or any type of big expenditure.

Lets bump this up. This thread is too good!

How many banks do you guys bank with?

I have a few. My main is BoA. I also have Wells(easier to pay CC with them), Penfed(same as Wells), and NFCU(same as well). I also have Chase, I've had them the 2nd longest behind BoA and hoping it will matter when I apply for a card in the next year or so.

Did they have draw periods longer than 10 years? 10 years is generally the max you have access to the credit with payback period being the next 10-30 years afterwards. Though I believe you can apply for another HELOC or do some type of refinancing to keep a line open.

The bank can put a freeze on the line or reduce the limit if the home value or your personal credit score drops significantly. Something to keep in mind before maxing it out for home improvement projects, debt consolidation, or any type of big expenditure.
I posted this a while ago and have since learned they did do a reassessment but the value went up. I stand corrected.

How would you invest $100K cash right now? For discussion purposes let’s assume you’re starting from zero. No brokerage accts, real estate, savings accounts, bonds.

Investing 100k without any savings seems like a bold move.

And with that said the answer is always bitcoin.

Investing was the wrong word to use but you know what I meant. :lol: Some of my friends back from HS consider putting $ in a savings account as “investing” which is crazy. I think you’d def drop some emergency savings in an account first though, for sure.

Last edited:
How would you invest $100K cash right now? For discussion purposes let’s assume you’re starting from zero. No brokerage accts, real estate, savings accounts, bonds.
At least 30% in a high yield savings account. Rate increases by the Fed will turn into higher interest payouts. Then open a brokerage account and DCA into VTI (and maybe HD, COKE, or whatever defensive stocks appeal to you) with DRIP activated. That’d be me, though if I had the means and more knowledge on real estate investing I’d go that route.

100% in stocks over the course of the next year I would front load it (Investing roughly 30K in January, 20K in February and then 5-10k the rest of the year depending on allocation/macro environment.

Real estate is great if you are already rich - leverage is really the only benefit imo
Bonds and Savings accounts are risk mitigators but not for me

Im 28,

moved to another company recently.

Yall do traditional or Roth 401k? my company matches up to 5%
I do half and half.

My company doesn't match but they have a "pension-like" cash balance program that you are 100% vested in after 3 years, they put 9% in that currently.

I do 12% of current salary in the 401k program they offer. 6% traditional, another 6% Roth.

I should be doing more in Roth but it's helped with the taxes as others have said.

Lets bump this up. This thread is too good!

How many banks do you guys bank with?
I got a bunch:
BofA- main bank with checking account/ CCs
Chase- Sapphire and Business CCs
Penfed- Offer HELOCs for rental properties which the others don't offer.
Stanford Federal credit union: Gave me some competitive more rates on refis couple years back on smaller loans that banks weren't coming close to.

I max out da Roth because taxes aren’t going down. I have no company match though so i just do it on my own. We get a pension but that’s a set amount. 10.50 per hour x1.75 goes in it.

I want to consolidate my home, car, and student loan into one at some point.

Probably gotta pay a few more years on the house (in year 1) and wait for rates to drop for it be worthwhile

One primary personal checking and a secondary personal checking for contingency needs if ever needed. Both have worldwide ATM fee reimbursement.

A savings account for a true emergency fund.

And a business checking account.

Same

I second that suggestion of investing 100k in the market, everything on sale

I don't know if anyone here watches clips from The Ramsey Show, but I watch clips from there to keep me motivated for my savings goal, but this call is ****ing wild... and hearing how she sounds hella chill like it's nothing is even more absurd.

Has anyone been seeing Caleb Hammer's channel pop up often on YouTube? Just recently saw two videos of his "Financial Audit" series. They're long and brutal in-depth conversations about the guests' lifestyle, spending habits (by actually going through the guests' financial statements). Dude does not hold back on calling people out.

I got a mail solicitation for a new checking acct bonus from Wells Fargo. Pretty straight forward one, $325 bonus, just need 1K direct deposit to hit.

I used to do these all the time. Like 3-4 a year lol. I haven’t done it in probably over a year and figured it had to do with the recession/feds hiking rates… thought it was interesting I got this offer now. Wonder what that means from a macro perspective- anyone have insight?

I got a mail solicitation for a new checking acct bonus from Wells Fargo. Pretty straight forward one, $325 bonus, just need 1K direct deposit to hit.

I used to do these all the time. Like 3-4 a year lol. I haven’t done it in probably over a year and figured it had to do with the recession/feds hiking rates… thought it was interesting I got this offer now. Wonder what that means from a macro perspective- anyone have insight?
Well I got laid off from wells Fargo so eff em. Lol.

I have read a few articles where they are getting out of the mortgage/servicing business for the most part and primarily will focus on banking and credit cards. They also wanted to generate more home purchases in black communities.

Back
Top Bottom