NT, Please give me Insight on one of the Biggest Decisions of My Young Life So Far.

SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY PLEASE.

So I am now almost at the end of my first semester at San Jose State University. I am 18 years old. I started this semester with 4 classes.

English 1A, African American Studies, Remedial Math, Acting.

I was doing fine and all in the begining as everyone does. I am not going to lie. The majority of my semester went into Pledging my Fraternity. So long storyshort, I failed to turn in a simple assignment for English Class and the teacher told me I am receiving NC for the semester. My remedial Math Class was at 8 amand I could not do it so I got NC. I @*%*%% up in the end of pledging and Initiation week and ended up getting NC for African American Studies. So I am leftwith 1 class with an A for a 4.0. Do not get me wrong. I am very into my academics and usually do very well. The transition was just very hard for me. I wasnot able to prioritize as well as I had wanted to.

So now I am left with a very big decision. Class signups for next semester are on Wednesday. I am currently enrolled in the dorms but Pledging is done and overwith. So now I am asking myself, will I actually do better next semester? The semester is going to cost me $6,000 +. That is a whole lot of money consideringwe get no financial aid and I myself am jobless.

So heres my prediciement I can A. Stay next semester live in the dorms, and try to do better and make up for my dead weight. OR B. Move back Home save $6,000and go to a Community College.... I really need help with this one. Please give me some insight. I have 3 days to decide...

If I was you, I would go back home and go to CC. Get my head back in the game and take care of business.

Go to Comm College until you get used to a college work load
Don't waste $6,000 like you did this semester

dont go to CC, im assuming you'd go to west valley or deanza... those are dead end bro. get your study game up and do work, you admittedly have no one toblame but yourself. if you have faith in yourself, do the work and earn the high marks you know you can.

go to a cc. sjsu is basically a bigger cc, since mostly everyone there is local and commutes to school.

go to a cc, get good grades, save money, and if you want, transfer to a UC later

*#%%! I typed my long !$$ reply but didn't sign in so I gotta type all this *##% again. So imma cut this short.

Stay in SJSU.
And why do you ask? Because SJSU is a very good school and I actually go there. I went through the same situation, *+%$@+ up on grades and got onto academicprobation. Now I'm doing fine. Just manage your time well and you will be fine. Homework before parties. That's the key to success in college.You're supposed to have fun. And trust me you dont want to be stuck at a community college because I went to Skyline for the summer and I'm sorry but*##% is boring. If you need to figure out a way to force yourself doing homework go to the library. It helps a lot. And don't worry about the money,I'm pretty sure you will gain all that back and even more once you're done with college. And I'm pretty sure your parents will pay for that. And ifthey dont, then *#%%, man up and get some loans at banks where ever you can get some cash. College is lifetime experience. If you got any more questions, feelfree to holla at me. I'd be happy to help out a fellow spartan/nter. And ask your frat bros too, I'm pretty sure many as freshmen have experienced whatyou've went through. And assuming you are black, did you pledge for Iota phi theta?

do you think that you will definitely get back up there if you leave?

if you don't know that for sure, stay in the school. plus you spent all your time getting in the bond and stuff, why would you leave that? like you spentyour time during the semester working on that, and you're gonna leave it?

All that pledging down the drain then. You've gained nothing if you just decided to go to a CC then. But from the looks of it, you lost either way. Get ajob and help ya self.

well I would say tuff it out, because it will show you what you are made of, and thats what college is all about, finding out who you are. Most people acquireeducational debt and it will keep adding up..... stay this semester, build some credits up...go home for the summer, take some CC classes for more credits andget a job to stack some cash....

living off campus is cheaper than being in the dorms....but if you leave the dorms you are missing out on a big part of college.....

My biggest regret of college is NOT going the first 2 years to a Community College to save on costs. You have plenty of time bro - take it easy and do whatwill set you up for success in the long run. I'm 21 and still at home, no shame in that. Go to CC.

It depends what you want and how hard you are willing to work. If you think you can do the work at SJSU and you will be happier there then stay. Don'tsweat the money, it seems like a lot but in the long run it isn't ( I owe almost $80,000 and I have years until I finish). On the other hand there isabsolutely nothing wrong with going to a cc so if you think you can be happy there and do well then go there

community college = diggging a bigger hole....

change your game and forget your pledging bs.... aint worth it.

College isn't for everyone. There are many students that pledge and still have "good" enough grades. Were you abusing drugs or alcohol? (seriousquestion) If so cut back.

That's why I would never mess around with a Frat. But I think if you stay where you are, you'll feel pressured to do well next semester.

Ehh, just go to a CC and transfer back later, you could even transfer to a better school if you're focused. However, you better go to De Anza or where withthe right mindset or you'll find yourself staying there for a long time.

I'm in the same boat (I'm 18, and from SJ by the way). SFSU isn't working out for me. $700 a month for a rent is killing me. I just decided to goback home to CC, get my GE done, and then transfer to a nicer school (better music program, not the prestige) that I otherwise wouldn't have gotten intostraight out of high school.

Second chances, for the win. (If you're focused)

I would move back home and enroll in a Community College. Other than that, the best advice I can give you is DO NOT JOIN A FRATERNITY!!!

stay at the college you are at it will be worth it in the end...just work hard and take some classes in the summer to make up for lost ground...also workduring the summer and make some money to pay a little of it off...but man you have to make sure that you get As and Bs this semester remember your gpa willlikely determine what kind of job you will get...i was in the same boat as you i went to saint louis university my freshman year in pre medicine and that wasvery tough...at the end of the year i transferred and now im at university of nebraska at lincoln with a 4.0 just dont transfer to a CC

no.
you started at a big school and you have to finish it up man.
i transferred from a SU to a CC and i couldn't shape up because i treated CC like a joke. i ended up doing worse there than at GSU.
just finish what you started and PUT YOUR PRIORITIES IN ORDER.
that frat cannot take you as far as you yourself will if you put your head in it.

Back
Top Bottom