NT please weigh in on this situation. Pickup basketball related.

I'm playing ball at a gym I've never played at before. Me and 5 of my friends are there, and this is the first time any of us has played there. We get there, and the game before we get on the court is played to 11. The next game is played to 11. The game after that is played to 11. Then we're playing against two new dudes that show up, apparently regulars. We hit a 2 to "win" the game, walk off the court, the new dudes say games here are to 12. They say if we were going to play to 11 we had to announce it before the game since they always play to 12 there. 
My response was that we had no way to know what they usually played to, so why would me make an announcement when we assume we're following the norm? One of the dudes calls me an idiot, and I initially get in his face but say F it and walk away. (I'm a lawyer and can get disbarred for someone pressing charges against me. I could have easily bodied this dude. He was frail, I had 30 pounds on him and we were the same height). So we say F it and just play to 12, but our best player has to leave. We pick up a random scrub. They hit two 2s and win the game and jump around and start celebrating their "comeback". They maintain that they were right and we should have announced that games were to 11, although we had no way to know what games were played to and followed what was going on when we got there. 

Who do you think won that game? 

its like when you play ones and twos , you cant go into the game without knowing that, if you hit a 2 and your playing those rules its a 2 , if you go to 11 and you know the rules are to 11 thats the rules , or if you play to 11 and win by 2 its win by 2 those are the rules

Why didnt you just keep on playing. Its a single point.

If something happened like that to me and my friends it would just be a quick but cocky, "word? games 12? aite" and keep it playing. And who plays with 2's in an 11 point game anyway?

Originally Posted by m23airj0rdan23j

Originally Posted by Nawzlew

What did the other people at the gym say?
Most people backed us up but the dudes were douchebags about it so we just said F it. It got heated to the point of getting in people's faces.
And we did continue the game to 12. 

12? 
laugh.gif
Thought they only do evens in Asia.

Y'all won, but coulda made it even better by beating them to 12 and telling them to sit they *@@*! down and lick the sack. I hate some of these dudes who play sometimes
eyes.gif

never in my life have i ever heard of playing to 12
roll.gif

its either 11 or 21

usually 11 and everyone always asks straight up or by two?

i would have hit them with the stoneface and kept walking off the court with the victory, thats honestly one of the dumbest thing ive heard.

Originally Posted by FOG

12? 
laugh.gif
Thought they only do evens in Asia.

Y'all won, but coulda made it even better by beating them to 12 and telling them to sit they *@@*! down and lick the sack. I hate some of these dudes who play sometimes
eyes.gif
Yeah, should've finished it but we took on a scrub and paid for it. One of the 2s they hit was in his face. The second one was off a long rebound like Horry v. Kings. 
This was the worst place I've ever played basketball. LA Fitness in Arlington, VA.

Aside from the game to 11/12 thing:

1. Dude called a violation because someone stepped over the line when passing in the ball in after a made basket. No opposing player was within 10 yards. Not kidding about this. Same guy that called me an idiot.

2. I got fouled and said "and-1" out of habit, and they didn't give me the foul because "they don't play and-1," Not sure what that means when you don't shoot free throws in pickup games. 

3. I set a pick for a guard, and he had a WIDE OPEN jumpshot from 10 feet. He didn't shoot it and instead complained that I didn't roll properly to the basket. Wide open jumper. 

4. Anytime I play pickup ball, if I blatantly foul someone I call the foul for them. Same dude from #1 elbowed me in the back of the head as I was about to lay the ball up, and I missed the layup. It was so blatant that I didn't call a foul, and when I mentioned that he blatantly fouled me he said "it's not my job to call fouls" and kept running down the court. 

It honestly took everything I had in me to not swing on this dude. I'm still heated about it but trying to just forget about it. 

Originally Posted by MonStar1

if you won the game you wouldn't be making this post.
What a useless, arrogant, obvious post. From a dude that begs S&T for love and support.
indifferent.gif

It doesn't mean the point at issue doesn't merit discussion. 

I'm not gonna say you're 100% wrong but we always call out "13/straight up or win by 2" etc etc at the very beginning of each game, even if a team has won 5 straight games

yall did work and just got the New Guys at the Gym treatment, haters
30t6p3b.gif

Lol at playing to 12. Although I completely agree with you op, you guys agreed and kept playing so technically you lost. Move on or school these fools next time.

It's a punk move in order to get a second chance at winning, and because it's "their" gym, there isn't much you can do but roll your eyes. They know they lost, straight up. But their excuse is to tack on an extra point to the game in order to prolong the game. The last time I played a pickup game in a "foreign" gym (so to speak), the games were to 11. We definitely scored 11 and won 11-9, or something close like that. The other team decided we only had 10 points. Even guys on the sidelines were rolling their eyes at this team saying we only had ten. So my super competitive friend told the other team "alright, we'll just beat you again." I stripped the show-off shooting guard (who'd scored all their points) trying to cross me over and we had a wide open fast break for a lay-up to win. Dudes were heated.

That's why I only play in gyms where I know I don't have to deal with punks. I've had enough of it in my life.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by MonStar1

if you won the game you wouldn't be making this post.
What a useless, arrogant, obvious post. From a dude that begs S&T for love and support.
indifferent.gif

It doesn't mean the point at issue doesn't merit discussion. 

laugh.gif

but 12?? Sorry bro...you and your boys got trolled on.

I've heard of 11, 13, 15, 21. But 12 is random as hell.

Persia, you can't go around beefing with random townies anymore.  Not now that you're part of the secret society
smokin.gif

As for what you said, games are to 11.  Never heard of to 12... 16 maybe?  But even then if every game prior to yours was to 11 then obviously that's what the rule on the court was that day.  You should have been like "now we know" then told them to get off and call next.

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Why didnt you just keep on playing. Its a single point.

If something happened like that to me and my friends it would just be a quick but cocky, "word? games 12? aite" and keep it playing. And who plays with 2's in an 11 point game anyway?

if the court's crowded and you want it to move quickly then you allow twos.  can't stop it, then you deserve to lose on one.

in the end they got the new guys to the gym treatment. if you were regulars half the stuff you discussed either wouldn't have happened or youd be so used to those douches by now that youd have expected it.

Originally Posted by RawSheed

I'm not gonna say you're 100% wrong but we always call out "13/straight up or win by 2" etc etc at the very beginning of each game, even if a team has won 5 straight games

yall did work and just got the New Guys at the Gym treatment, haters
30t6p3b.gif
i agree. At my  LA fitness we always play to 12 yes weird but it is wat it is. But it never changes either. For them to change it on u like that was wrong they are sore losers. We play all games to 12 and announce it b4 everygame so no dumb@## like the dude who calls u an idiot can say anything other then 12

yea, whever I play we always set out b4 hand whether it will be 21 or 11. thats the only 2 options.

At various places I've played to 11, 12, 15, 16 and 21. In your case, when you have been going to 11 the entire time y'all should have just ended the game after 11. Told the next team to come on the court.

What were they gonna do?

Back
Top Bottom