NT please weigh in on this situation. Pickup basketball related.

We play to 16 first and last game, and 12 every other game at this gym I play at a couple days a week.

I wuold have laughed my way off the court. especially at them. smh. the only thing that bothers we is if say the score is tied 9-9 and someone hits a two to win the game, people always ay you cant win with a two. SMH at that rule. I know I aint the only one who had this happen to them.

^ I've never heard of that rule
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

12? hahaha. helll i've never even heard of team ball to 21 lol. we always go first game 15, each game after 11. 1 & 2's, (2's from nba tho). usually straight up, but if its close at the end, sometimes cats will call out win by 2 if they're unsure of themselves.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by MonStar1

if you won the game you wouldn't be making this post.
What a useless, arrogant, obvious post. From a dude that begs S&T for love and support.
indifferent.gif

It doesn't mean the point at issue doesn't merit discussion. 
So you admit you are salty you lost and not because the score was different?  I wasn't there but if that gym plays to 12 all the time and thats what they do then they weren't gonna let some strangers get them off the court.  I would've done the same thing.  People don't wanna lose homie.  I wonder if you guys won a dude would've came on NT talking about "man these dudes who don't even hoop at my gym came on and scored 11 points but we normally play to 12.  Then they beat us.  I hate punks like that."

--12?! Hahaha..never heard of it.
--I always play to 11/13/15 straight uP all 1's. No 2-point nonsense or it becomes a 2-point shoot out.
--No ticky tack fouls on game point.

Where I hoop, first and last games to 16, every other game to 12, straight, 1s and 2s. But we have all been through those foreign gym situations with getting cheated out of calls, score, or having your "next" not respected.

Where I play, if you call foul and make it, too bad you called ball. SO similarly, if you say "And 1" and miss, play on. Most common argument I am involved in though, is being that I almost never call fouls because I am strong enough to still finish through it most of the time, people always try to foul me on purpose and I still score and they're like, "nah I stopped ball, I fouled you," and then it's "I didn't call it.... let me call my own," and usually handles that, or the aforementioned threa a few weeks ago about other bully tactics that are still legal but make use of a size advantage in a unique way like tossing your +## out of bounds using the ball instead of your body.

But when I played in OKC, they play continuation. Like they can call foul but then wait to see if it goes in, and be like, "nevermind. bucket!" I got a friend who is a Jehovah's Witness and he and some of the elders rented out the gym and he invited me. Game goes to 12 and I got like the 3 of the first 4 points en route to a blowout, and I score again, and they said one person can only score 3 points to keep it fair. So I tried to obey the rule and continue playing, but it made no sense. What the +%%% am I supposed to do now? I just ended up leaving, and now when they come back, they don't invite the elders anymore because those dudes stayed making up rules the whole night after I left and consequently ran the court :l.

Yall dont play enough if you never played til 12. 
laugh.gif

A lot of places and people use the "cant win using a 2 pointer" rule. Even if the whole game they counted 2's.

I usually do the simple 16 win by 2, or 21 straight with 1's and 2's. If we wanna keep the games short, 12 win by 2 or straight 16.

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

Where I hoop, first and last games to 16, every other game to 12, straight, 1s and 2s. But we have all been through those foreign gym situations with getting cheated out of calls, score, or having your "next" not respected.

Where I play, if you call foul and make it, too bad you called ball. SO similarly, if you say "And 1" and miss, play on. Most common argument I am involved in though, is being that I almost never call fouls because I am strong enough to still finish through it most of the time, people always try to foul me on purpose and I still score and they're like, "nah I stopped ball, I fouled you," and then it's "I didn't call it.... let me call my own," and usually handles that, or the aforementioned threa a few weeks ago about other bully tactics that are still legal but make use of a size advantage in a unique way like tossing your +## out of bounds using the ball instead of your body.

But when I played in OKC, they play continuation. Like they can call foul but then wait to see if it goes in, and be like, "nevermind. bucket!" I got a friend who is a Jehovah's Witness and he and some of the elders rented out the gym and he invited me. Game goes to 12 and I got like the 3 of the first 4 points en route to a blowout, and I score again, and they said one person can only score 3 points to keep it fair. So I tried to obey the rule and continue playing, but it made no sense. What the +%%% am I supposed to do now? I just ended up leaving, and now when they come back, they don't invite the elders anymore because those dudes stayed making up rules the whole night after I left and consequently ran the court :l.
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I play at the rec center on campus, it's always up to 13, 1s and 2s and straight up.

Originally Posted by PharelFor3

I wuold have laughed my way off the court. especially at them. smh. the only thing that bothers we is if say the score is tied 9-9 and someone hits a two to win the game, people always ay you cant win with a two. SMH at that rule. I know I aint the only one who had this happen to them.

Yeah that happens all the time.  Some people think hitting a 2/3 to end a game is cheap because you're not earning it *shrug*  It's a stupid rule and one we're usually like "shoulda called that before the game man, can't just yell it out when you lose."

The "call 'foul' not 'And 1'" thing happens ALL the time too.  It's annoying but after it happens once you know.  If a dude hits you with a flagrant and you dont bother to call foul i've seen some dudes play the "you need to call the foul" game but usually a stern look stops that.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Scientific Method

eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

eek.gif
roll.gif

A guy called an in bounds violation? And you allowed that to happen? That's when you just look at them and say 'no' and keep playing

Another thing, I hate playing by 1s and 2a, it puts a disproportionate weight on 2s. And since I suck behind the line, I really hate it

Weird. I guess there was nobody else waiting to play cause they would have jumped in and say games are only played to 11. But in this situation, just depends, if you were planning to leave since the best player was already leaving, I would have just left with the win. Don't even give them lames a second chance at winning.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

A guy called an in bounds violation? And you allowed that to happen? That's when you just look at them and say 'no' and keep playing
This was all after the blowup where dude called me an idiot and I stepped to him. After that any sort of argument would have had to be either a fistfight or nothing. I wasn't going to fight this dude so I just shrugged off all the BS and kept it moving. They didn't beat us again after the 11/12 game anyway. 

i think you could've deaded the situation if you just keep yelling out "game point" or always saying "11 straight up".  especially when ur at a new gym.  

Originally Posted by 10 Piece Nuggets

Yall dont play enough if you never played til 12. 
laugh.gif

A lot of places and people use the "cant win using a 2 pointer" rule. Even if the whole game they counted 2's.

I usually do the simple 16 win by 2, or 21 straight with 1's and 2's. If we wanna keep the games short, 12 win by 2 or straight 16.
This.

Place I usually go does first game to 12, the rest to 10. Works pretty good.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by FOG

12? 
laugh.gif
Thought they only do evens in Asia.

Y'all won, but coulda made it even better by beating them to 12 and telling them to sit they *@@*! down and lick the sack. I hate some of these dudes who play sometimes
eyes.gif
Yeah, should've finished it but we took on a scrub and paid for it. One of the 2s they hit was in his face. The second one was off a long rebound like Horry v. Kings. 
This was the worst place I've ever played basketball. LA Fitness in Arlington, VA.

Aside from the game to 11/12 thing:

1. Dude called a violation because someone stepped over the line when passing in the ball in after a made basket. No opposing player was within 10 yards. Not kidding about this. Same guy that called me an idiot.

2. I got fouled and said "and-1" out of habit, and they didn't give me the foul because "they don't play and-1," Not sure what that means when you don't shoot free throws in pickup games. 

3. I set a pick for a guard, and he had a WIDE OPEN jumpshot from 10 feet. He didn't shoot it and instead complained that I didn't roll properly to the basket. Wide open jumper. 

4. Anytime I play pickup ball, if I blatantly foul someone I call the foul for them. Same dude from #1 elbowed me in the back of the head as I was about to lay the ball up, and I missed the layup. It was so blatant that I didn't call a foul, and when I mentioned that he blatantly fouled me he said "it's not my job to call fouls" and kept running down the court. 

It honestly took everything I had in me to not swing on this dude. I'm still heated about it but trying to just forget about it. 
2. most gyms and-1 does NOT count as a foul. you have to actually call FOUL.

4. Your fault, a lot of dudes dont call fouls for other people. when you play with clean players and they hack you hard or something they usually are quick to call it for you. most of the time, they will not call the foul so its up to you to act fast and call foul for yourself.

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

12? Never heard of that. Game's to 11 win by 2. If not then 15 straight.

Your team won bro.

this. or 16 straight to 21

1s and 2s is for chumps tho, how is one bucket worth twice as much as nother... 0 sense

ive actually heard of folks playing till 12... this is in oakland too.... i was like HUH?

when we were coming close to winning the game, they said they normally play up to 15. SMH, whatever not fighting with ESO cats.

Originally Posted by JewSeeJay

Originally Posted by Lightweight Champion

12? Never heard of that. Game's to 11 win by 2. If not then 15 straight.

Your team won bro.

this. or 16 straight to 21

1s and 2s is for chumps tho, how is one bucket worth twice as much as nother... 0 sense

huh? the same way 2's and 3's are different in high school, college and the NBA. What do you mean?

Back
Top Bottom