- NT Producers Thread: Questions for Newbies, Beginners, Starters. -

here's a list of must have VST plugins (imo)

-Toxic Biohazard
-ReFX Vanguard
-Native Instruments Pro 53
-Native Instruments Massive
-Izotope Ozone
-Rob Papen's "Purity" and "Blue"
-z3ta+
-Admiral Quality Poly-Ana
-Dream Vortex Studio Microtrance
-Osiris Polly 8
-G Media ImpOSCar

some of these are freeware (many vsts are, search http://www.kvraudio.com/ )

here's a list of must have VST plugins (imo)

-Toxic Biohazard
-ReFX Vanguard
-Native Instruments Pro 53
-Native Instruments Massive
-Izotope Ozone
-Rob Papen's "Purity" and "Blue"
-z3ta+
-Admiral Quality Poly-Ana
-Dream Vortex Studio Microtrance
-Osiris Polly 8
-G Media ImpOSCar

some of these are freeware (many vsts are, search http://www.kvraudio.com/ )

^^ That bulletproof mashup was nice man.
pimp.gif

Well, back in my playing days (tenor sax) I dabbled here and there with production, but I could never get my ideas as polished as I liked. and I'm a perfectionist, so I just left it alone since I wasn't meeting my own expectations. So my question is, how would you build your own beat? Like, let's take pizza for example. You start with the crust, then spread the sauce, then chesses, etc. Well when you're making a beat, where do you start? Do you start with the bass? Percussion? Melody? Cue me in guys. Thanks.

Well, back in my playing days (tenor sax) I dabbled here and there with production, but I could never get my ideas as polished as I liked. and I'm a perfectionist, so I just left it alone since I wasn't meeting my own expectations. So my question is, how would you build your own beat? Like, let's take pizza for example. You start with the crust, then spread the sauce, then chesses, etc. Well when you're making a beat, where do you start? Do you start with the bass? Percussion? Melody? Cue me in guys. Thanks.

Personally, I used to start with DRUMS but after I started getting better I found it's much more beneficial to start with a melody or if I'm sampling, the sample arrangement (whether I'm just laying the loop or slicing it).

I hate doing basslines but if I have one in my head and I'm able to lay it down how I imagined I'll start there, which is weird.

I've also heard from several artists when I'm making beats in front of them is that starting with the drums hinders their creativity. I've heard this several people so whatever.

But yea, I'd start with melodies if I were you Rilla.

Personally, I used to start with DRUMS but after I started getting better I found it's much more beneficial to start with a melody or if I'm sampling, the sample arrangement (whether I'm just laying the loop or slicing it).

I hate doing basslines but if I have one in my head and I'm able to lay it down how I imagined I'll start there, which is weird.

I've also heard from several artists when I'm making beats in front of them is that starting with the drums hinders their creativity. I've heard this several people so whatever.

But yea, I'd start with melodies if I were you Rilla.

Originally Posted by I am StewRat

no doubt, i'm happy to help out anyway i can

your #$% gets rotation often on the playlist. i like your mixing skills. i know you use FL. put me on some mixing.

Originally Posted by I am StewRat

no doubt, i'm happy to help out anyway i can

your #$% gets rotation often on the playlist. i like your mixing skills. i know you use FL. put me on some mixing.

Thanks. I try to create a balanced mix everytime i make a song.

I use an oolldd pair of Alesis Monitor One studio reference monitors and a giant Kenwood subwoofer. I also have a cheap $20 pair of Wal*Mart speakers. Since I cant afford to acoustically treat my room, I've hung up heavy quilts on the walls behind and around my console to absorb some rogue frequencies. I've also purchased some Auralex MoPads. ($40)

371250.jpg

You put these under your speakers to isolate them from whatever they're sitting on, improving their sound tenfold.

This plugin, BuzMaxi3, is a transparent limiter. out of all the limiters i've used, this one has the most transparent sound. i'll put one of these in the last slot of my master track just to make sure i don't peak.
http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3.html

Since every song is different and requires a unique approach when mixing i cant give any "blanket" advice.. except compare your track to a song that has a similar sound you want. Like say I'm making a beat that uses an old school soul loop. I'll throw on a beat by Dilla or Kanye that has a similar aesthetic and compare my mixing to it. Also, reference your mix on AS MANY stereo systems as you can. Car, personal CD player, PS3, just to get to know how your speakers sound. Know what I mean? Once you get to know your speakers and their character you can adjust accordingly to get your mixes to sound clean.

Thanks. I try to create a balanced mix everytime i make a song.

I use an oolldd pair of Alesis Monitor One studio reference monitors and a giant Kenwood subwoofer. I also have a cheap $20 pair of Wal*Mart speakers. Since I cant afford to acoustically treat my room, I've hung up heavy quilts on the walls behind and around my console to absorb some rogue frequencies. I've also purchased some Auralex MoPads. ($40)

371250.jpg

You put these under your speakers to isolate them from whatever they're sitting on, improving their sound tenfold.

This plugin, BuzMaxi3, is a transparent limiter. out of all the limiters i've used, this one has the most transparent sound. i'll put one of these in the last slot of my master track just to make sure i don't peak.
http://www.x-buz.com/BuzMaxi3.html

Since every song is different and requires a unique approach when mixing i cant give any "blanket" advice.. except compare your track to a song that has a similar sound you want. Like say I'm making a beat that uses an old school soul loop. I'll throw on a beat by Dilla or Kanye that has a similar aesthetic and compare my mixing to it. Also, reference your mix on AS MANY stereo systems as you can. Car, personal CD player, PS3, just to get to know how your speakers sound. Know what I mean? Once you get to know your speakers and their character you can adjust accordingly to get your mixes to sound clean.

Originally Posted by Murda He

It usually depends on what type of music you are refering to. Due to the community we post in, im gonna assume hip-hop. I tend to start with the drums and try to build a solid rhythm first. the rest usually falls from there.

It usually depends on what type of music you are refering to. Due to the community we post in, im gonna assume hip-hop. I tend to start with the drums and try to build a solid rhythm first. the rest usually falls from there.

hmm. well i never ever start with drums. ever. everytime i do, my beat ends up sounding like a 9th wonder reject. and not in a good way.

I'll typically start by either slicing up a sample and just messing around, rearranging the parts. or i'll just jam out on the keys using a synth sound i like. chords come first, then a bassline, then a lead melody.

drums always come last for me.

everybody is different though

hmm. well i never ever start with drums. ever. everytime i do, my beat ends up sounding like a 9th wonder reject. and not in a good way.

I'll typically start by either slicing up a sample and just messing around, rearranging the parts. or i'll just jam out on the keys using a synth sound i like. chords come first, then a bassline, then a lead melody.

drums always come last for me.

everybody is different though

trilogy and trillian have dope basses... its just all bass tho... (trillian is just the newer version of trilogy)

trilogy and trillian have dope basses... its just all bass tho... (trillian is just the newer version of trilogy)

Back
Top Bottom