NT, Question about unemployment. Thanks in advance

Im sure many of people is going through the same situation i am going through. To sum it up, its just a whole lot of insecure feelings that i gotta deal withright now because of the economy and the job market.

I work for a private environmental laboratory as a chemist, and this past month, my employer tells my co-worker and I that the entire lab employees are gettinga pay cut of 60% (smh). So right now, I work two days a week instead of 5 but endures more stress at work than i ever had. I was employed in August 2008 andhave been working as a FULL TIME, HOURLY employee for the past year. What im thinking is that my employers are utilizing this tactic to make us quit so we cantfile claims for unemployment benefits.

Currently im just going to hang on to whatever BS they throw at me to work as many hours as possible, at least till I find the next job opportunity, but itsounds rediculous being a "full time hourly employee that work only 16 hours a week, not 40
eyes.gif
" How am I even full time now? I still retain my benefits as a full timeemployee. But i fear thats because my medical benefits are being paid mainly by ourselves, despite the fact they tell us the company covers 80% of our healthinsurance bill (i think management rigged alot of numbers on paper to evade taxes, but thats a whole diff story)

My question is,
1. can my employers eventually say, "were gonna give you 0 hours" and still put it off as not firing or laying me off?
2. If i get laid off, where do I go to claim unemployemnt, and would my situation qualify, if laid off?

management have been real shady ever since I got with the company. where on numerous occasions they would tell us one thing but do another or never followthrough. I have been trying to co-opperate with my bosses and work with them as much as humanly possible, but I really need to know my options so that I dontget burned badly when *#$% eventually hit the fan, which i fear will happen soon.

thank you NT, Id appreciate any feedback youd have to offer.

jaechiney

1. not they cant do that because you would have proof on your pay check of "0 hours"
2. its easy to file, i collected unemployment for 4 months when Sams Club "laid me off" they hired me back at the begining of the 2nd quarter.anyways to claim just google whatever state you live in (texas unemployment) and answer all the questions honestly and truthfully!! know all the importantstuff when you started, when you got laid off, and how much you got paid..Yes its better to be laid off then you quitting or getting fired take a good 1-2weeks to go through and the will mail you info if you got approved and how much..

ps... i dont know how small this company is but see how unemployment work is if u get approved companys like Wal Mart and Target have to pay for it in liketaxes so you can get paid...so if u work for a mom and pop store it may be harder to get...but try though!! let me know if you got more questions

thanks rockenjayz247,

that cleared some questions up. Im sure this company makes enough money since last year we SUPPOSEDLY made 1.5-2.0 million in profits. It is a state accreditedlaboratory and employed 9 people at its peak, its a small company, but not small enough to be considered a moms a pops store (although they did file as aminority owned small business).

its real heart wrenching thing to feel like your future has growth, only to be shot to $#I^ by greedy people. Im praying to god this nightmare ends soon.

i used to work for a steel company.. laid off months ago..
go to your states website and see how you go about filing..

filing in AZ was a breeze, never missed a payment either..

^ trust me, its something you dont wanna even consider unless you are out of options, im considering it because I have mortgage and bills to pay, so i need allthe options availiable to me in case the worse case scenario happens. .

I use to think environmental testing was recession proof. Especially back in march when work start to pick up as i hear news of mass layoffs. serves me rightfor thinking that way.
I learned something despite all the depressing events thats goin on, and that is to always stay on your toes and get as much hands on experience as you canpossibly get.

I felt kinda hopeless at first, since i began losing touch with people after getting out of college in 08 as I began to stay focused on the important things athand.

However, NT let me know that Im not alone on this one. thanks guys.

I was on funemployment for almost a year (car dealership closed), filing is really simple (im in CA). Just fill out the form online and youre done. Once youstart receiving the forms in the mail just make sure to mail them on the date specified. If its too early, even a day, they will mail it back. If you mail itlate, well your check will be late. Just stay on top of it and its a breeze.

Back
Top Bottom