NT: School Me on Multiple Monitors

Hi guys,
I'm trying to make the move into the dual or tri monitor world. Can anyone help me out with price, needs, and the likes? Is this something I can put together on my own?

Thanks

great thread.

Another question, does Thunderbolt make it easier to do?

you'd have to have two monitors, price would depend on how much you want to spend on the monitor and you'd need something like this:

images

and yes you can do it by yourself.

What's your OS?
For PC:

Just buy two monitors, connect them to your PC, and that's basically it.

game changer.

my boss kept talkin bout how much more productive we would be once we went to dual monitors since i have to have atleast 4 seperate windows up at all times (outlook, front end database, back end database, accounting). I fought it cause I didnt wanna be hassled with having to set it up myself.

i went home one weekend, came back on Monday morning and voila! someone had come in and setup dual monitors.

its awesome. am i more productive? marginally. but i can stream sporting events and move it over to one side and go fullscreen, while i try to do work on my other screen.

Originally Posted by neukicks

you'd have to have two monitors, price would depend on how much you want to spend on the monitor and you'd need something like this:

images

Yea um, that's to split the same signal to 2 monitors. I'm pretty sure OP doesn't mean to do that.

You need a graphics card that will support 2 monitors. Look at the back of your computer, if you have 2 connections where your monitor plugs into, then you're good. Otherwise, you're going to need to get another graphics card, either as addition, or replacement to your current one.

If you have an iMac, or a portable, just plug the second monitor to the video out port on the computer. May need an adapter depending on what you have.

Originally Posted by FlipnKraut

images

Yea um, that's to split the same signal to 2 monitors. I'm pretty sure OP doesn't mean to do that.

You need a graphics card that will support 2 monitors. Look at the back of your computer, if you have 2 connections where your monitor plugs into, then you're good. Otherwise, you're going to need to get another graphics card, either as addition, or replacement to your current one.

If you have an iMac, or a portable, just plug the second monitor to the video out port on the computer. May need an adapter depending on what you have.
Yea um, thats two monitors, then in your properties you can split them. So um, yea.

Thanks for the advice so far guys. I have dual monitors at work, but I'm not sure if 2 or 3 is better.

Also will be running Windows 7 or 8, depending on when I buy a new PC.

images

Yea um, thats two monitors, then in your properties you can split them. So um, yea.

Please, school me on how you can use a VGA splitter to display 2 separate images on 2 monitors.

Please, school me on how you can use a VGA splitter to display 2 separate images on 2 monitors.
Yea I agree with you I don't know how it is possible to split one source into two separate sources I believe you use this if you want a dual display but not an extended display.

Yeah, you either need a card with more than one output (common nowadays) or on my last pc I just got another graphics card and added that. That was cheap on eBay.

Originally Posted by kdawg

Yeah, you either need a card with more than one output (common nowadays) or on my last pc I just got another graphics card and added that. That was cheap on eBay.
This.
Most modern computers come with a video card with dual output sources. Typically one DVI & one VGA. Just plug the 2nd monitor in and go to the control panel and change your display settings to extend display.

As far as monitors are concerned, I have a 22" Acer & 23" Asus and both are ok for general use. If you're a graphic designer, or something along those lines, a Dell Ultrasharp or Apple monitor would be your best bet.

Ok first two external monitors is a no go for laptops

Multi monitor is a desktop area. You will need a graphic card for the setup. The 7800-7900 from AMD which cost 230-500$ and the 600 series from Nvidia which are available cost 400-1000$ can do up to 4 monitors by themselves. If you only want 2 monitors then you can get a cheap 20$ card.

Monitor wise it can be ANY screen with the correction input. ALWAYS GET 3 of the same monitor. The 4th one can different or the same but that completely depends on your set up.

This from nothing can cost 800+ dollars

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

game changer.

my boss kept talkin bout how much more productive we would be once we went to dual monitors since i have to have atleast 4 seperate windows up at all times (outlook, front end database, back end database, accounting). I fought it cause I didnt wanna be hassled with having to set it up myself.

i went home one weekend, came back on Monday morning and voila! someone had come in and setup dual monitors.

its awesome. am i more productive? marginally. but i can stream sporting events and move it over to one side and go fullscreen, while i try to do work on my other screen.
48376_o.gif

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

Here is my setup.  Three monitor Eyefinity.  My specs are in my sig.

2vw78g0.jpg

2cz4qqg.jpg
That Crossfire setup needs more support. Cards looks real heavy with those coolers.
I wish I could have a 3-monitor setup... but it really wouldn't be practical. I'd probably end up with one of these instead. 

1.jpg

laugh.gif

images

VGA though. 
sick.gif

Like the other guy said, most decent GPUs these days come with 2 DVI ports. Some of new higher-end ones have 2 x DVI + HDMI + Displayport, enabling you to use up to 4 monitors at once, provided you have the cables/monitors/adapters necessary.

The kind of monitor really depends on your budget and what you're planning to do with it. For gaming, a 2ms one is preferrable. For 3D, you might need a 120Hz capable monitor. For professional/multimedia/photographic applications, you might be interested in an IPS monitor (some of which come calibrated right out of the box).

Personally, I do a mix of gaming and some photography/photo editing, so I went with a Dell Ultrasharp U2312HM 23" IPS monitor. Love the colors, and it's pretty good with gaming as well.

For gaming, 3 is better than two -with the two just taking care of your peripheral vision most of the time for added immersion.

Looking into 120Hz monitors soon, as my monitor's 60Hz refresh rate isn't cutting it while playing games in 3D. Not that much out in the market, just yet... and not that cheap, either. So that can wait. 
laugh.gif

So if I'm basically looking to use Excel and have the Internet/quotes on another screen, a cheap monitor set-up is totally fine?

Originally Posted by secretzofwar

So if I'm basically looking to use Excel and have the Internet/quotes on another screen, a cheap monitor set-up is totally fine?
Yes.
EDIT: Oh, and if you can, get identical monitors (resolution and size).

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Ok first two external monitors is a no go for laptops

Multi monitor is a desktop area. You will need a graphic card for the setup. The 7800-7900 from AMD which cost 230-500$ and the 600 series from Nvidia which are available cost 400-1000$ can do up to 4 monitors by themselves. If you only want 2 monitors then you can get a cheap 20$ card.
Not necessarily. Most laptops now come with an HDMI port & VGA connection. You can connect both to create a dual monitor setup, or use the laptop screen and an external monitor. I have used both just fine, but of course prefer the dual externals.

Originally Posted by SneakerReaper

Here is my setup.  Three monitor Eyefinity.  My specs are in my sig.

2vw78g0.jpg

2cz4qqg.jpg

to see the entire lane tho
eek.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

if you use ashe you could most def. see the entire arrows path with you screens
roll.gif

lvl 30
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by derrty6232

Get yourself 2 apple 27" thunderbolt monitors.
pimp.gif
those two monitors alone would cost almost as much as my current rig. 
sick.gif
laugh.gif

This is what I have in my office - like someone already said you can watch a movie or stream sports while working on something else. Twin 22" monitors which aren't expensive now.

2eku684.jpg

I'm still thinking about bring my 32" TV from home (it was huge when I bought it 8 years ago but I want something bigger now) and putting that as the middle one. I would mount it to the wall too which would free up some desk space.

Back
Top Bottom