NT True Life: I Have Asian Parents. any stories?

as you grow older and become more mature, parents slowly become less of a "hassle."

also, once you start earning your money, it'll get better. no financial dependence = freedom.

i am buying things my parents would NEVER buy me in a million years, and now they don't say #@## because i pay for everything myself.

Originally Posted by LadiiKix

Korean grandparents are racist as hell. My mom was a little better but she still stood on edge when I didn't bring a [color= rgb(255, 102, 0)]blonde haired, blue-eyed[/color] guy home.
This caught me off guard. So you can date outside your race but only if it's a white dude?
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
indifferent.gif

Growing up my mom always use to hit me with rubber flip flops, fly swatters, and slaps to the back of the head.

well it all comes down to the fact that most races hav both parents involved in their children's lives except for us blacks so ur all fortunate to at leasthav both parents (whether married or not) invovled bcuz a good number of us blacks don't/didn't

My parents were really strict with me when I was growing up, but as I got older, I stopped getting yelled/nagged and it seemed like they stopped caring aboutall the rules that used to apply.

I brought that up with my mom once, and as a testament to her Asianess, she compared it to a bamboo tree...
laugh.gif

"When the bamboo tree is still young, you can bend it and shape it anyway you want, but when the tree is older, it's impossible."

kingcrux is my father...he doesn't let me out the house and makes me study physics 24/7

my dad has been dead since I was 10 so I don't remember much bout him

as for my mom she wasn't like the typical asian parents

money and material possessions were not stressed at all while I was growing up

it was all about getting your education and becoming a good person

unlike the majority of Asian parents where they base their child's success on how much money they make and having nice cars

My parents are asian and they're not that strict at all

Moms - She knows I can get mine and handle my own, so no reason for her to worry or push me. She knows that no matter what happens I'll be okay.

Pops - He kicks it harder than I do!!!

I think they strictness will wear off once you show your parents you can be successful and take care of yourself, just do you the best you can!

For me, the strictness eventually faded away, as they began to see that I could handle myself properly. Find the balance between what they tell you and whatyou believe (as long as you're not an idiot) and you'll be good. However, I am sure this can be applied to any race and most parents.

Originally Posted by AgentArenas

Originally Posted by justhotkicks

About Asian parents...it's isn't the strict nature but the narrowmindedness that really angers me.
Bingo. I think in most families where culture is a very big part of life (Egyptian families, Asian families, etc), some parents tend to be extremely closeminded and especially distrusting of American society in general.

Quick question if they are so distrusting of American society y are they here? Not tryna get at u and I apologize if it comes off like that I'm justcurious. I'm black and dislike some things about American society and think things can/should be changed about it but that doesn't mean I distrust itif I felt that way I wouldn't be here

My mom is more closeminded, but I think being in America all these years has opened her up to different values and ideals, but she still likes the Asian sidemore. My dad was pretty much raised here, so he has a better understanding. I was under some pretty restricted freedom at an early age, but once high schoolrolled around, my parents learned to trust me more and I pretty much went out all the time. No curfew senior year of high school, I had a helluva time.

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

My parents are asian and they're not that strict at all

Moms - She knows I can get mine and handle my own, so no reason for her to worry or push me. She knows that no matter what happens I'll be okay.

Pops - He kicks it harder than I do!!!

I think they strictness will wear off once you show your parents you can be successful and take care of yourself, just do you the best you can!
What I was going to say.

My parents are a shell of their former strictness. My older sisters got it worse than me.

I get decent not perfect grades (B average...
eyes.gif
) but they don't getmad at me because I actually try really hard and understand that not everyone is perfect at math or those higher sciences. My dad has been annoying as hellabout college recently.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

Originally Posted by LadiiKix

Korean grandparents are racist as hell. My mom was a little better but she still stood on edge when I didn't bring a [color= rgb(255, 102, 0)]blonde haired, blue-eyed[/color] guy home.
This caught me off guard. So you can date outside your race but only if it's a white dude?
moz-screenshot-1.jpg
moz-screenshot-2.jpg
indifferent.gif
For asian parents with daughters, having them marry a white man is the American dream.

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

Originally Posted by lalalindaaa

About Asian parents...it's isn't the strict nature but the narrowmindedness that really angers me.

THIS.
I was joking around with my mom one day telling her I was gonna date an African American man. She hits me with the "
eek.gif
troi oi!"
Which is basically oh my goodness in Vietnamese. She said he's gonna scare her if she just glances at him..
indifferent.gif

Pretty much just wants me to date in my own race.
smh.gif
damn lol... i'm korean and i'm dating nicaraguense girl
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Ducktails...It is Nicuaraguan, not Nicaraguense

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by K Town Trash

Originally Posted by lalalindaaa

THIS.
I was joking around with my mom one day telling her I was gonna date an African American man. She hits me with the "
eek.gif
troi oi!"
Which is basically oh my goodness in Vietnamese. She said he's gonna scare her if she just glances at him..
indifferent.gif

Pretty much just wants me to date in my own race.
smh.gif
damn lol... i'm korean and i'm dating nicaraguense girl
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Ducktails...It is Nicuaraguan, not Nicaraguense

indifferent.gif

NICARAGUAN***

eh... ive really found out how racist asian ppl are living in koreatown.

its gotten to the point where i had to slam the door in the face of this old %*+ lady.

she had a big %*+ box which i could have carried with 1 hand on one shoulder... i smiled... said hello politely... and she still grabbed her purse and said"no help"

so i slammed the door and hopped right in the elevator.

and thats just 1 of 10000000000 stories. some of them are hella cool tho. i guess the region u come from dictates how u are when it comes to asians.
i smoke some straight fire with this 94 yr old korean dude. i thought he was in his late 70s!!!!

I remember stuffing a pillow in my pants before I was getting whipped.

She didn't notice and was wondering why I was giggling so hard when she was hitting me.

TEHEHE

I thank my parents for being strict but not so narrowminded at the same. They were strict in the sense that when I was young I didn't get everything Iwanted, didn't get to go out as much, early curfew, got beat, etc. Seeing that I could follow the rules without a problem (what other choice did I have?),they eased up when I got to high school. Glad that they didn't keep up the same attitude up til today, or I might've gone crazy
laugh.gif

Now I have their trust, and life's good.

Back
Top Bottom