NT True Life: I Have Asian Parents. any stories?

Originally Posted by eight2one

I heard Indian parents are just as bad

Yes sir. However, it's usually the girls the parents are strict on. I'm a guy and hindu and parents can give two #$%@ when i come home. My brothersmokes grass out of his bedroom window and parents probably dont know he does it in the house but when he comes home theyre not dumb. They say is my life, dowhat you want, they provided shelter and food and support, what else can they do. Restrictive parents are the worse. They raise the most rebel kids ever andthey wonder why their kids are bad. Let them do what they want and they'll make the right decision in the end.

Originally Posted by Dynamic X

Originally Posted by GeNeRaTiOnZ

My parents are asian and they're not that strict at all

Moms - She knows I can get mine and handle my own, so no reason for her to worry or push me. She knows that no matter what happens I'll be okay.

Pops - He kicks it harder than I do!!!

I think they strictness will wear off once you show your parents you can be successful and take care of yourself, just do you the best you can!
What I was going to say.

My parents are a shell of their former strictness. My older sisters got it worse than me.

I get decent not perfect grades (B average...
eyes.gif
) but they don't get mad at me because I actually try really hard and understand that not everyone is perfect at math or those higher sciences. My dad has been annoying as hell about college recently.

hahahaha parents are humans too. They just run out of steam. I know EXACTLY what you're talkin about.

I am the 2nd of 4 siblings, and my baby sister is walkin easy street compared to me. I was the bad apple, and both of my brothers acknowlege that I got itworse than everyone else combined x100. Baby sister thinks shes livin this hard knock life but she just dont know.

OP - when you get older you will understand and appreciate the way your parents raised you. Trust me. It took me awhile. Pretty much between the age of 10-25 Ihad a terrible relationship with my pops. Dude made the North Korean Dictator look tissue paper soft. He was relentless with me in terms of punishments. I wasnever a kid to learn from the punishments though. All it did was make me work harder at not getting caught cause dammit i was gonna do what i was gonna do andno one was gonna tell me otherwise. One day though it all kinda clicked. Me and pops were finally able to sit down and talk man to man, and we discussed (asadults) the reasoning behind his parenting methods. Today our relationship is great, and for better or worse, the battles we had helped shape that relationshipwe have today.

as far as stories goes, heres but one example that highlights my dad's creativeness with punishments

This was in the late 90's when I was around 18-19. Long story short, my moms caught me with a full sheet of acid (LSD) and about 100 pills of E. She bustsinto my room and throws the bag of pills at me and starts screamin at me bout doin drugs. I tell her, no mom, I aint doin them, I just sell it (BAD answer).She starts crying and this and that and finally walks out and I'm thinking I'm a dead man walking. When my pops gets home I fully expect him to get theLouisville Slugger and use me as a batting tee (my pops got anger issues like me... it runs in the family). Pops gets home that night from work, of course heand my mom talk about it. I am hiding out in my room waiting to get annhilated. Dad calls me in and he is super calm, it was all very eery. Uusually he isyelling and throwing stuff and acting like a maniac. So pops starts talkin bout if i know what i did is wrong, tells me dont do it no more, i need to grow upand be a responsible adult, etc.. etc... then hes says ok good talk, you can go. I walk out thinking %@#? THATS IT? Biggest thing I ever got caught doing and Iget no punishment? F Yeah!!!!!!

The next morning my dad wakes up and tells me to pack my bags. I start trippin out thinking he's gonna boot me out of the house, but no... thats too easyof a punishment. He says, pack your bags you are going to Korea. I ask when, and he says tomorrow. Within 24 hours I am on a plane across the Pacific going tostay with my aunt for the summer in Korea (some may say this is not a punishment but I hate that country, the weather, the people, everything). So I get toKorea and my pop has another little treat for me. Turns out I am not going to spend my summer vegging out on my aunts couch playing Starcraft all day. Insteadhe has another flight booked for me to travel from Seoul to Taegu where I am going to meet a family friend (who happens to be a Catholic Priest). My pop had mesetup to go "volunteer" at an orphanage for disabled kids that is run by the Priest and some missionaries. Now lemme tell you. I never been to anorphanage in the USA, but I have to imagine that it is 10x nicer than the one I was at. Thankfully, the missionaries that worked there were from Argentina orsomething and they were fluent in English, Korean, and Spanish (my Korean is terrible bordering on non-existent). That way I was atleast able to communicatewith them.

I guess, thanks to my pops I was able to cross "go work at an orphanage in a developing country" off my bucket list.

Back
Top Bottom