NT, What Are You Reading? Vol. 2010

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Just finished reading The Alchemist by Paul Coehlo for the 5th time.

Book is so inspirational and life changing...I recommend it to everyone!

eyes.gif

most overrated book in the history of literature.

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

I'd really recommend reading Tony Judt "Ill Fares The Land" to everyone. Very easy read by a very good writer.

These three will be read over the next month (hopefully) since the semesters almost over.

9780300122817.jpg

Pappe_-_The_Ethnic_Cleancing_of_Palestine.jpg

this_time.jpg

I haven't read any of these, although the Finkelstein book is on my list.  Have you read Beyond Chutzpah?

Anybody read Kaffir Boy? Read the first few pages today, it is a firsthand account of growing up black in apartheid South Africa.

Just finished 1984 by George Orwell and Naked by David Sedaris. I'm about to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoos by Stieg Larsson.

"The Stand" Stephen King. Extended edition. It's taken me far too long to read it. 2 months? 3? Lost track. It's only 1200 pages? I usually pound through a 4-500 page book in a week of casual reading but I've neglected my brain these past depressing months. 

Originally Posted by KlassSickFresh 87

Almost done reading this. I had no idea so much drama went on with the Gucci family. Crazy how it seems like a fiction novel yet it's all real. 
this book is
pimp.gif

I haven't read any of these, although the Finkelstein book is on my list.  Have you read Beyond Chutzpah?
I haven't, that's next though. Finkelstein is great.

"The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine" is pretty good. Sheds a different light on what happened in 1948. It makes me laugh because I'm taking a course that dealt heavily with the Arab-Israeli Conflict as a whole and when we went over 1948 bits and pieces of what Pappe goes over in that book were mentioned, but not the whole story.

Also, thank you to Hankzilla, reminded me I need to pick up "The God Delusion" sooner or later.

Originally Posted by SpeakUp23

Any one read/reading any books on self improvement?

I would love some book recommendations on that.

I found this to be interesting

1262596202-00119c4cmedium.jpeg

Originally Posted by Daedalus Kalais

I frequently pick these up and read through them from time to time. I think it's worth reading at least once.

My friend lent me this one and I like to read it for the lulz. Maybe you've heard of it?
pimp.gif

servebeer.jpg

So funny, the movie was beyond stupid though I didn't even watch all of it

just finished Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Catcher in the Rye.

Very different books obviously but would recommend them both.

Just picked this up yesterday:

gies-city.jpg

I'll be starting that in a few days, along with The Race Myth: Why We Pretend Race Exists in America by Joseph L. Graves, Jr.

I'm currently midway through The Tipping Point.

Originally Posted by Esco51

This.  Napoeleon Hill's Thnk and Grow Rich is an awesome read as well.  As far as self-improvement goes..  I recommend all of the following:

"Success is a Choice" by Rick Pitino
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
"The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene
"The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey
"The Power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Peale
"Winning Every Day" by Lou Holtz
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki
"Pimpology" by Pimpin' Ken (Great read.)

Michael Jordan's "Driven from Within" is also an awesome read.  Its more of an autobiography, but has lots of stuff from Tinker and Phil, and Mike's parents as well.  The best part of it to me was just getting an idea of how competitive and determined MJ really is.  He says something like "I would wake up everyday thinking 'How am I going to attack today?"  Dude never missed a day of school..  To me that is insane.  I think this would be a great read for all NTers regardless of age and education. 

Originally Posted by Moderate Gatsby

Just finished 1984 by George Orwell and Naked by David Sedaris. I'm about to start The Girl with the Dragon Tattoos by Stieg Larsson.

david sedaris is that dude.

im also reading the girl with the dragon tattoo.

let me know if you like it or not. im a slow reader so im probably going to take awhile
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CWrite78

Moderate Gatsby said:

david sedaris is that dude.

im also reading the girl with the dragon tattoo.

let me know if you like it or not. im a slow reader so im probably going to take awhile
laugh.gif
I just finished The Girl With The Dragoon Tattoo...It's a good read, I definitely recommend finishing it.

The Art of Seduction - Robert Greene
Interesting, useful in parts however...
the_art_of_seduction.jpg

finished both these a few weeks back:
0142004774.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
halo-3-fall-of-reach.jpg

and in the middle of this as well:
6a00c22521fe748fdb011016b2aca7860d-500pi1.jpg

^currently an AMAZING read... only regret is im not reading it in spanish initially.. ill probably come back and read it in spanish later..

Originally Posted by The Yes Guy

I just finished Infinite Jest after nearly 6 weeks of fairly regular reading, and I'm a fast reader, so that should give you some idea of just how long and difficult it really is.

That being said, totally worth it.
You're stronger than me. I got a paper weight called Infinite Jest. 
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by D723

Originally Posted by Esco51

This.  Napoeleon Hill's Thnk and Grow Rich is an awesome read as well.  As far as self-improvement goes..  I recommend all of the following:

"Success is a Choice" by Rick Pitino
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie
"The 48 Laws of Power" by Robert Greene
"The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People" by Stephen Covey
"The Power of Positive Thinking" by Dr. Norman Peale
"Winning Every Day" by Lou Holtz
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki
"Pimpology" by Pimpin' Ken (Great read.)

Michael Jordan's "Driven from Within" is also an awesome read.  Its more of an autobiography, but has lots of stuff from Tinker and Phil, and Mike's parents as well.  The best part of it to me was just getting an idea of how competitive and determined MJ really is.  He says something like "I would wake up everyday thinking 'How am I going to attack today?"  Dude never missed a day of school..  To me that is insane.  I think this would be a great read for all NTers regardless of age and education. 
I think I found my summer reading list.

Thanks guys
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom