NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Trying this one out with the brats

Posted about my side to side challenge a few weeks ago. It finally happened. At least the stouts

Ipswitch oatmeal Stout
Left Hand brewing company milk Stout Nitro
Sierra Nevada Stout
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Victory storm King Stout
Santa Fe brewing Imperial java stout

The BA scores pretty much ran true to form here.

The ipswitch was quite subtle in the chocolate and coffee flavors. This one compared quite nicely with the Sierra Nevada Stout. Both just classic examples of doing it RIGHT.

Left Hand Nitro has its own carbonation set in with the nitro bottle. After awhile, imho it starts to taste a bit flat. I love the creaminess initially. But it kind of wears off fast.

On the imperial side, the Santa Fe Imperial Java stands out in its use of coffee. This one wakes you up real fast. It doesn't have the mouthfeel of the others, but if you enjoy coffee, this one may be worth a try.

Victory stands alone with its use of raisins and other fruits in its flavor on their imperial stout. It's unique, and if you love that raisin/fruit flavor, this one is to die for.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout was a late entry, but may be the best (as says the BA score of 97). It tops all of the stouts in abv (10.5%). And the flavor is just crisp and subtle.... To me, it's more of an amped up SIerra Nevada Stout or Ipswitch Oatmeal Imperial (if that existed). It's done so well, and the alcohol hidden so nicely, it makes for just an true TREAT. It;s one of those beers, much like a Lagunitas Sucks, where it's just so easy to drink, you wonder what to hell is going on here.. It also topped in price ($6.99 bomber), so this Stout Bout is quite hard to judge at the moment. Other than two comparing almost perfectly together, each one had a unique characteristic that might make it the beer of choice for you.

Last edited:
^ is it sweet? I like the beer/lemonade combo on a hot day but some are too lemonade

I prefer the ones that are more beer

Posted about my side to side challenge a few weeks ago. It finally happened. At least the stouts

Ipswitch oatmeal Stout
Left Hand brewing company milk Stout Nitro
Sierra Nevada Stout
Stone Imperial Russian Stout
Victory storm King Stout
Santa Fe brewing Imperial java stout

The BA scores pretty much ran true to form here.

The ipswitch was quite subtle in the chocolate and coffee flavors. This one compared quite nicely with the Sierra Nevada Stout. Both just classic examples of doing it RIGHT.

Left Hand Nitro has its own carbonation set in with the nitro bottle. After awhile, imho it starts to taste a bit flat. I love the creaminess initially. But it kind of wears off fast.

On the imperial side, the Santa Fe Imperial Java stands out in its use of coffee. This one wakes you up real fast. It doesn't have the mouthfeel of the others, but if you enjoy coffee, this one may be worth a try.

Victory stands alone with its use of raisins and other fruits in its flavor on their imperial stout. It's unique, and if you love that raisin/fruit flavor, this one is to die for.

Stone Imperial Russian Stout was a late entry, but may be the best (as says the BA score of 97). It tops all of the stouts in abv (10.5%). And the flavor is just crisp and subtle.... To me, it's more of an amped up SIerra Nevada Stout or Ipswitch Oatmeal Imperial (if that existed). It's done so well, and the alcohol hidden so nicely, it makes for just an true TREAT. It;s one of those beers, much like a Lagunitas Sucks, where it's just so easy to drink, you wonder what to hell is going on here.. It also topped in price ($6.99 bomber), so this Stout Bout is quite hard to judge at the moment. Other than two comparing almost perfectly together, each one had a unique characteristic that might make it the beer of choice for you.

Nice review. You should grab the espresso Stone IRS....better than the original IMO. But then again I'm partial to coffee stouts (Speedway stout is one of my favorites). I'll have to look for the santa fe imperial java.

Are those only at Whole Foods? We don't have one here.

That Sweetwater IPA I bought yesterday was nasty. I'm like 0-2 in terms of IPAs. Don't even remember the first one I tried

I've heard nothing but good things about Allagash. Might have to try it out.

Any of you guys try the Sam Adams Alpine White? I had it earlier in the year when it first dropped and had it again last night. So damn good

Are those only at Whole Foods? We don't have one here.

That Sweetwater IPA I bought yesterday was nasty. I'm like 0-2 in terms of IPAs. Don't even remember the first one I tried

^^ I've found Allagash White at Total Wine, Martin's, and Kroger...don't frequent Whole Paycheck...haha

Any of you guys mess with Belgian beers? Curious on the opinions of foreigners on this. Every tourist I've talked to has always praised our beer.

Hoegaarden, Augustijn, Jupiler, Delerium Tremens, Westvleteren, ...

Also trappists like Chimay, Rochefort etc.

Last edited:
I love Hoegaarden. It's my favorite beer. Also I love Leffe, both blonde and dark. 
Can't believe I forgot about Leffe lol. As strange as this may sound I've never drank Stella Artois.

Half the bars I go to don't even carry it and I never see it in stores even though it's one of our most known beers.

The most popular beer by far, and also my favorite, is Jupiler. It's a really standard beer, kinda the equivalent of your Budweiser I think, but everyone loves it.

So what kind of Belgian beers do you guys have available over there? If you ever see Lindemans I highly recommend it.

It's a woman's beer but it tastes amazing. It's kind of a fruit beer.

Last edited:
Actually I'm in Romania so we got everything :smile: I drink Stella on a weekly basis, It's one of the non-alcoholic beers I actually like and drink when driving.  We have some Romanian copies of those fruit beers. Also Radlers (beer with lemonade) got pretty popular now that temperature is rising, just enjoyed one today. 

Back
Top Bottom