NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^Excuse my ignorance guys. I just read it and thought it was the male procedure. My wife has brought up the cut job and I'm not about it. At all. Even the idea of it.

Tried Hop 15 for the first time last night. More vanilla than i was expecting, but delicious nonetheless.

I want to move onto winter beers but im still stuck on pumpkin.

Tonight.

Another week of nursing school complete, another weekend of 13 hour shifts to look forward to, and another special beer review:

Randomly found this at a small homebrewing/craft beer boutique a few towns over from me.  For those that aren't familiar with Firestone's Anniversary series, they release a beer that's a combination of multiple barrel-aged beers that they make and then bottle it for human consumption.  Here's how the breakdown looks for Firestone 16:

Velvet Merkin (8.7% ABV)  - Aged in Bourbon barrels 

-Traditional Oatmeal Stout (23% of final blend)

OG= 15P FG=5.5 IBU=32.5 Color= Black / 15% Oats / Hopped with 100% US grown Fuggles

Stickee Monkee (12.5% ABV) - Aged in Bourbon and Brandy barrels

-English Barley Wine (22.5% of final blend)

OG=27P FG=5.4P IBU=45  Color=28 / Brewed with Mexican Turbinado (Brown) sugar

Double Double Barrel Ale (14.2% ABV) - Aged 100% in retired Firestone Union barrels

-Double strength English Pale Ale (20.3% of final blend)

OG=25.0P FG=5.1P IBU=30 Color=16 / A Double version of our flagship created by Ali Razi

Parabola (13% ABV) - Aged in Bourbon barrels

-Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout (10.8% of final blend)                                                                                                 

OG=31P FG=8.5P IBU=80  Color=Black / Hopped with Simcoe, Bravo, Styrian Golding and East Kent Golding

PNC (13.0% ABV) - Aged in Tequila barrels 

-American Strong Buckwheat Stout (8.1% of final blend)

OG = 25P FG = 5.0P IBU = 80 Color = 100 / Brewed with Buckwheat

Helldorado (11.5% ABV)  - Aged in Bourbon Barrels and Brandy barrels

-Blonde Barley Wine (5.4% of final blend)

OG=24.7P FG=4.5P IBU=24 Color = 8 / Brewed with buckwheat honey & 100% El Dorado hops

Bravo (13.4% ABV) - Aged in Bourbon and Brandy barrels

-Imperial Brown Ale (5.4% of final blend)

OG=26.5 FG=7.7 IBU=35 Color=32 / Hopped with 100% US grown Fuggles

Wookey Jack (8.3% ABV)- 100% Fresh, Dank & Hoppy 100% Stainless Steel 

-Black Rye India Pale Ale (4.5% of final blend)

OG= 18P FG = 3.0P IBU = 80 Color =black  / Extremely hoppy double dry hopped BIPA

This beer pours pitch black with a fizzy head that dissipates quickly.  Aroma is vanilla, caramel, toffee, bourbon, coconut, tobacco, bourbon, and brandy.  Right at the front of the mouth you're hit with an explosive vanilla flavor.  By the time it hits the middle of the mouth flavors of chocolate, coconut, toffee and bourbon start to take over. Didn't really notice much brandy.  The tequila from the PNC is pretty noticeable on the aftertaste when this beer is cold, but fades away as it warms. I personally prefer this beer around room temperature (not a big tequila fan...at all).  Very drinkable for 13%, and not too boozy with a year under its belt.  Overall I probably spent to much on this beer, but I can say that this is without a doubt one of the most complex beers I've ever had.  Probably gonna pick up another bottle of this if it crosses my path, and I'm DEFINITELY gonna buy Firestone 17 when it comes out in a few weeks.  Splendid. 10/10

TenFidy is a pretty tasty brew... Not as harsh as I may have thought but not as smooth as FBS... Smells like garbage IMO but I am enjoying this guy quite a bit

Picked up an exclusive Sierra Nevada today called DevESTATEtion. Looking forward to trying it real soon!

Starr Hill BoxCar (Pumpkin Porter)
Killdare's up at State had that. Grabbed a single of it a few weeks back. Pretty good. 

I still think DFH Punkn Ale is my favorite even though Night Owl is the best tasting. I just can't drink as many Night Owl's as I can Punkn Ales

Any socal heads able to get Black Tuesday yet?
went on sale at 10.
their website is struggling right now.

BTW, thought I'd just throw this out there.
Batch#001

brewed Sunday 10/27. Should be ready right after Thanksgiving.

-J-

Missed out on a beerfest on Saturday. Decided to take that money and spend it locally at a few local breweries..

Has anyone else ever tried a belgian IPA? I will be honest in that had they not told me what it was exactly, it would appear like any other IPA... A touch drier, more yeasty, and a touch fruity. But I had of had to search those flavors out... Also had a Double IPA that was only 1% ABV higher than the Belgian but tasted a whole lot heavier... ABV is not the end all here. Drinkability is key too.

yeahitsRUST, this may not be news your looking for. Stopped by La Cumbre (too busy to ask about glasses this time around). But I did get to try their cask stout against their normal pour of the same stout..... CASK version was amazing. The first place we went to where I had two other IPAs also had a IPA on cask. But that is just some manly stuff. Cask IPA is for the brave, and I just cant do it.. But a stout on cask is like keeping a normal version of the beer out at room temp for 1-2 hours. The carbonation was mellow and the flavors came to life

-----------

Jbug88, what do you think of that fresh brew smell? When you first add the hops, it just warms up the house.
-----------------
Comparison Ford, now that seems like a beer worth its price. A lot of beers appear to be limited for no other reason than to call it that and raise the price. I like beers where the brewing method may dictate production, or ingridient quality or fermentation/aging time
--------------

iClosetCreature, That Abbey Ale was one of my first "expensive" beer purchases over 4 years ago.. I remember it vividly.. The beer tasted like old shoes.. I do hope the beer was either a bad batch, or my taste buds just weren't ready for that flavor and I called it off too soon. I'm not sure I will ever revisit it though.. Maybe one day.

Jbug88, what do you think of that fresh brew smell? When you first add the hops, it just warms up the house.

Dude. When we first dropped the LME, my kids came running into the kitchen because they thought we were making cookies. :lol:
And then when we added the hops, my oldest came back in wrinkling his nose.
"It sure doesn't smell like cookies anymore" haha
You add those hops and it starts to smell like a brewery.

On another note, just picked up a pack of Ten FIDY from my local Total Wine. Might have one this weekend and then thinking of aging the others.

-J-

For those of you who have easy access to Black Tuesday... Lets be friends! PM if anyone is interested in a trade. I have a few on here plus multiple others on BA who can vouch. I want BT in my life. :nerd:

I got you Rust

Screenshot20131029194356.png

If you can wait til mid-Nov for it. I'm going to head to the OC to pick up the bottles and ship it out then along with some other stuff. I know you said you'd be gone in Dec, hopefully it'll get to you before then.

Back
Top Bottom