NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

^best of luck. That is quite the drawing.

I had a great opportuntity to bring some family in to buy some BCS (limit per customer) and chose not to.. I have a touch of regret. But luckily, my taste buds can move on and somewhat forget about the greatness that was the BCCS.. For its ABV content, it is easily the easiest to drink, non abrasive, and non boozy beer I have ever tried. Ten Fidy is somewhat of a joke in comparison (booze wise).

I will say, with FBS (I've had 3 on draft in May, and 3 in a bottle just recently in October) vs. just one GI BCCS, FBS excels with its use of chocolates and a touch of sweetness. Just a chocolately richness that I remember.The coffee isn't quite front and center.. Disclaimer, as weird as this sounds, I hate hot coffee in the morning, or any type of latte or mocha concoction. I guess the booze factors in greatly. The BCCS is just 90% world renowned coffee. You can smell it. Wonderful all around. And a touch of bourbon. I agree both are thin on the mouthfeels.. I would say they are incomparable... Can I like them both equally? lol... With a bottle of each left, it may come down to a once in a blue moon showdown. I have some local BBA imperial stout, both a 2012 and 2013 that could get thrown into the mix. I may just make a crazy weekend of seeing which stout I like the most.
--------------
I bypassed your Barley Wine review. I'm finishing up a bottle right as we speak.

review shortly

^best of luck. That is quite the drawing.

I had a great opportuntity to bring some family in to buy some BCS (limit per customer) and chose not to.. I have a touch of regret. But luckily, my taste buds can move on and somewhat forget about the greatness that was the BCCS.. For its ABV content, it is easily the easiest to drink, non abrasive, and non boozy beer I have ever tried. Ten Fidy is somewhat of a joke in comparison (booze wise).

I will say, with FBS (I've had 3 on draft in May, and 3 in a bottle just recently in October) vs. just one GI BCCS, FBS excels with its use of chocolates and a touch of sweetness. Just a chocolately richness that I remember.The coffee isn't quite front and center.. Disclaimer, as weird as this sounds, I hate hot coffee in the morning, or any type of latte or mocha concoction. I guess the booze factors in greatly. The BCCS is just 90% world renowned coffee. You can smell it. Wonderful all around. And a touch of bourbon. I agree both are thin on the mouthfeels.. I would say they are incomparable... Can I like them both equally? lol... With a bottle of each left, it may come down to a once in a blue moon showdown. I have some local BBA imperial stout, both a 2012 and 2013 that could get thrown into the mix. I may just make a crazy weekend of seeing which stout I like the most.
I bypassed your Barley Wine review. I'm finishing up a bottle right as we speak.

review shortly
This is probably why I prefer BCCS over FBS.  I'm a big fan of black coffee, and don't really care much for chocolate.  You can tell the coffee used in BCCS is extremely high quality.  I'm at the very end of my glass right now and it pains me to finish it.  I just wanna savor it forever. 
laugh.gif

Maybe I do in fact like hot coffee at this point. It's been years since I've tried. I got turned off by it once. But that has been enough for me to only want to try it if its in a beer. But yeah, both easily 10+s with a preference given to what you desire.
------------------
I've always been turned off by the name "barley wine", I guess in part because I thought wine or grapes were used in some fashion (we had a grape juice based beer that turned out quite funky). It just always seemed like some sort of anonymous strong ale. With so few on the market, I guess it just never had appeal.

With that said.... GI BC barley wine.....

Cap was a bit harder to open than other beers ( CS was the same way the other day). This one fizzed to a small head. Compared to CS, it is leaving carbonation bubbles as it sits (head). Retention is minimal.. I noticed right away the mouthfeel is a bit thicker. I wan to chew at this stuff.

Deep strong notes of raisins/prunes/friuts.. Later in the sip I taste some truly burnt or roasted chocolate/coffee flavors. A splash of bourbon in there slightly.

Sadly, I am just not a HUGE fan of this deep fruit flavor. It is as overpowering on this one as the coffee was for the coffee stout. I want COFFEE DAMN IT!

It tastes heavier, feels heavier in almost all regards. I love the coffee/burnt chocolate aftertaste. Maybe the comparison shouldn't be between the three BC series beers. But that may inevitably happen.

Still world class as it has all the properties that make it great. It's not as boozy as some 10% beers. It has a great creaminess in the mouthfeel. You really have to love that deep fermented fruit flavor that is hard to overcome or get past. 9.8/10. I don't think I'll be trying any more barley wines for awhile. This tops the list as far as I'm concerned.... Just like me passing up Rocherfort 10 for years, I just can't get down with that deep dark fruit flavor...It looks like I will try to age one BW for awhile, drink my last CS, and try a regular BCS tomorrow before deciding on the 2nd.. I already miss that coffee prescence of GI BCCS.

EDIT:Comparison Ford, I just read your review.. I'm not a big bourbon drinker, so I'm entirely keen on the nuisances of the style. I am definitely sensing some sweetness that tastes like that deep fruit flavors. But I guess it could be bourbon? Something about this is overpowering on a sweet front. Maybe its the wood taste or vanilla. Overall, unlike anything I am ever had before. So complex with flavors. Impressive batch of BBA beers by Goose Island

Last edited:
Got an email from UPS saying there's a 16lbs package coming my way from NC. Assuming it's from Rust. Can't wait :smokin

Last edited:
Been hooked on stouts.

Founders breakfast stout
Brooklyn brew black chocolate stout
clown shoes chocolate sombrero
lion stout

just cant get enough

^they are everywhere. I have not had a stout I didn't like.

Sierra Nevada Stout - awesome
Deschutes obsidna stout- great
Skaa steel toe- Nice
Left hand milk stout- wonderful
Stone RIS and espresso- at a whole other level vs. basic stouts
Ipswitch & Marble Oatmeal Stouts--- superb
Samuel Smith
SN Norwhal
North Coast Old Rasputin
and on and on

I can probably name three times as many readily available botted/canned stout that I enjoy than say a IPA. At breweries I have visited who have some horrid brews in general, I tend to actually like their stouts/porters.

In staying with the stout trend, I'm drinking some stone espresso Ris tonight.

A couple words come to mind here... Chocolate galore... bitterness is prsent.. One dimensional. As great as this is as a stand alone product or compared to other RISs (norwhal and old R come to mind), the complexity of the GI coffee stout will forever haunt me

Final night cap will be a GI regular BCS. My mind will be fresh so I thought I'd get in as many as seemingly possible

Last edited:
Pickups today:

Sleighr (Ninkasi)
Supplication (Russian River)
Damnation (Russian River)
Evil Cousin (Heretic)

Who can get hands on some Heady Topper? I really want to a blind against Pliny one day.

Pickups today:

Sleighr (Ninkasi)
Supplication (Russian River)
Damnation (Russian River)
Evil Cousin (Heretic)

Who can get hands on some Heady Topper? I really want to a blind against Pliny one day.

Oooh Kill Em with the RR Supp and Damnation. Had those when I went back home and they were nice. I have a very shaky Heady connection and another connection that has it easy because he lives up there, but only will do trades with me for ultra rare stuff from the WNC area. Which is hard for me to acquire since I'm away from home so much now. Best try is to get on BA or another forum and try to trade.

The trifecta is complete.

Straight up, nothing but bourbon , booze, and a touch of burnt coffee. but it didn't taste too boozy. Maybe my taste buds are deceiving me but the barley wine had a bit more of a creamy earthy taste with a touch of a deep fruit flavor. Unless I just don't know what bourbon is supposed to taste like and I botched these reviews, this original bcs is bourbon alllll the way. Something in the barley wine tasted sweeter and deeper. This bcs is almost straight bourbon. Strongest beer I am ever tasted but it's not hard to drink.

The craftsmanship is there In all three varieties. I just have the give the easy nod to the coffee stout as it stood out as being my favorite.

Went to Smog City Brewing tonight.
Chardonnay Tripel for myself. Canaison for the wife.

Batch #001
Homebrew. I'm hammered right now.
This is our first batch. It came out amazing,

-J-

all the actual russians i hang with pretty much only drink european (german/belgian/etc) & completely dismiss american micro-brew

i am the opposite, i dislike the hoppy/bitter - heavy carbonated european beers as they just taste like higher quality budweiser to me
american beers have the flavor i enjoy or used to enjoy

Magic Hat #9
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sam Adams Boston Stock Ale (called just Boston now i believe)

were always like my go to-s

more expensive stuff like rogue, 90min ale, sammy smith's (uk i know) are alright on occasion tho

^
i never cared for the sam adams winter brews as they are all pretty heavy on the spices (but if you like those type - it's pretty good)
but the plus is they have a higher alcohol content

white christmas is lighter than some other winter brews tho

Last edited:
^^ True, appreciate it bruh. Got an email saying they're having a tasting for it today so I think I might swing by and try it out.

Is Sam Adams White Christmas any good?

I had one last night. It's my favorite beer out of the Christmas pack. But like Green Rhino said, very heavy on the spices. If you like beers to "match" the holidays, go for it.

Well went there but the tasting isn't until later so I just went ahead and picked some up anyways along with some Victory Golden Monkey and some Organic Chocolate Stout....

sammy smith's are usually exceptional - never had that chocolate stout tho, the oatmeal i've had - it was awesome
looks like you have some great beer to drink

Last edited:
Here's what I'm drinking right now - Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Proprietor's Stout

This is pretty damn good - tastes like dark chocolate with a hint of vanilla and coconunt. Super smooth, very good.

I'm in Chicago, can get a lot of local beers, does anyone here live around some good breweries? Interested in swapping around for local beers throughout the year.

Rust came through

IMG20131206195807.jpg

Thanks!

Here's what I'm drinking right now - Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Proprietor's Stout

This is pretty damn good - tastes like dark chocolate with a hint of vanilla and coconunt. Super smooth, very good.

I'm in Chicago, can get a lot of local beers, does anyone here live around some good breweries? Interested in swapping around for local beers throughout the year.

Niiice. I'm in SD and we get most of the stuff brewed in CA. Let me know if there's anything in particular you're interested in.

On the coffee bcbs now - a lot better than what I had last week. Coffee smell is strong, but the taste is subtle - not overpowering. Delicious. I've been looking for a 4-pack of this, but no luck so far.

Devil Dancer is always a good time... My favorite IPA Founders makes and they make some damn good ones

Score!

My beer budget is busted for awhile. Walked into a total wine expecting to use up an expiring $1 off six/four pack coupon only to see BCCS sitting on the seasonal shelf. I swooped in like a eagle catching a fish out of a lake. In and out of that place in 2 minutes flat. Quickest and most expensive visit thus far to TW. I skirted around employees who may or may not be interested in what I had. I found the shortest line and a cashier who doesn't seem to ask any questions. I did leave one four pack for whomever.

Questions that arise. Black Friday, another place was going to be the first place in the state to get BCS for the first time ever. They had a few cases of each I believe and a limit. So I think nothing of it beyond that as I enjoyed each one and their reviews here. Today I just happened to go to TW and spot it. I have no idea how long it's been there, how many they sold, how many they have, how many of the other varieties they have ( a very quick glance around, I saw nothing but CS), how many other obscure stores got, if any. etc. I'm not the type to really call around or go out of my way. A true luck of the draw here I guess. My state isn't distributed much in regards to highly rated beers. I at least got to try this and was happy to see the coffee version available, as that's my favorite. Initial instinct was to get two. Then I realized I can gift two packs out as Christmas gifts. So it's all about sharing at this point. And drinking maybe 1-2 a week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom