NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Double Bastard was one of the first "big beers" I ever had. I just did a vertical tasting of '09,'10 & '11 & Southern Charred (barrel aged Double Bastard). The heat and hops on the '09 had really smoothed out and was a touch sweeter when compared to the '11. These beers age pretty well. 

Southern Charred is an awesome beer. A bourbon barrel does wonders to Double Bastard. Strong flavors of toffee, vanilla, and wood come across in the taste and aroma which I love in bourbon barrel aged beers.

Was the tasting done at a local beer shop? That sounds like a great experience...I'm afraid to let IPAs sit past 4 months, let alone 6 months or 2 years. So it's nice to hear there was some hops left in those versions.

I was tempted yesterday by Southern Charred. Then I saw the price... $16.99.. I can buy almost a gallon of quality local growler beer for that price. I guess I can and do turn away beer. Comparison Ford, I believe SC is a bourbon barrel aged double bastard. Exactly what you were thinking... I went in there wanting some Deschutes Abyss but I guess my area won't be getting any for another two weeks.. Bummer. I didn't walk away empty handed though.. Ten Fidy drew me in once again... Canned 1/3/2013

Comparison Ford, I somewhat agree. I guess you can call Ten Fidy a niche beer. I absolutely love the chocolate milk like texture. The minimal carbonation really adds a nice smoothness. The flavors are just really deep toffee and raisins/fruits, with slight hints of bitter chocolate. For as non hoppy as it , the balance is still there. Maybe I haven't been trying good enough stouts, but this is the only one that comes close to how I feel about FBS. Velvety sweet texture. A lot of stouts, the chocolate bitterness or hop bitterness really adds a aftertaste. I've seen it in the majority of the "great" stouts that I've had. This one is different.. Try it at least once EcruteakCityBoy. It's definitely not for everyone as it's a different take on a stout... I haven't had one in a couple months. And it's still aging so nicely. Thanks uninformed beer shoppers for letting this sit for 9 months. This and FBS are a few of the only beers that make me smile while drinking.

------------

JBug88, From brew to drinking, what was the time table like? The few times we bottled, we had bottling sugar mixed into a big bucket, along with the uncarbonated beer, and we made sure it was really mixed well.. Then we waited a week, test drank one.. Wasn't ready. Then another week... Almost there.. Then another week and it had finally hit a great level.. Try to let them sit in a fridge for a week to let them clear up even more. Then watch as you pour. The sediment might be thick at the bottom of the bottle

JBug88, From brew to drinking, what was the time table like? The few times we bottled, we had bottling sugar mixed into a big bucket, along with the uncarbonated beer, and we made sure it was really mixed well.. Then we waited a week, test drank one.. Wasn't ready. Then another week... Almost there.. Then another week and it had finally hit a great level.. Try to let them sit in a fridge for a week to let them clear up even more. Then watch as you pour. The sediment might be thick at the bottom of the bottle

This weekend will be 4 weeks since brewing. You got me nervous now. :lol:
I might pop one open tonight to make sure the carb is right.
The guys had planned to come over sunday. crack open the first batch and brew another.
We've decided we are gonna do a few small 1 gallon batches. 5 gallon batch is just too much.

Went to my local Bevmo and Total Wine last night on the hunt for The Abyss.
Both stores did not get them in the latest shipment. Said they should be on the friday shipments.

-J-

Made out alright today:

Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti, Mikkeller Beer Geek Brunch Weasel, Goose Island Bourbon County Stout, and a free Delirium Tremens glass courtesy of da god at the beer distributor:

Oh...decided I needed enough of this to last me the year.  Got a free Founders shirt out of the deal.  I'll take it.

Happy Friday, NT.

A sucker for sales, I am.

-Went by Total Wine, spotted some Ayinger Oktober fest bier for $2 per 16.9 oz bottle. That's almost half off. And the beer isn't exactly expired. Picked up a few. Left one or two for someone else. They also had some GABF winner Flying Fish Oktoberfish for $1.50 off their six packs. Got two, left two. Quite the steal here considering that Widmer Okto fest Ale is trying to be sold for $8 near the front of the cashier aisles. That stuff is trash..

-Found a Rogue Santa Reserve Ale bottle that we'll add to our winter brew tasting.

-Stopped by a beer store a bit out of my way just to see what they had... Almost a case of Stone RIS just sitting their with a nice dust layer on the bottles.. Scooped up two... This place also had some Weihenstephaner Vitus that was on sale but currently sold out...

My city doesnt exactly get the 'great' beers distributed their way. We have our own local breweries that are supported pretty well either through bottle/can sales or through a direct brewery purchase. So for Stone RIS to be neglected so long is a bit crazy. I don't know what to make of it. Maybe other breweries are hesitant to jump into my state for distribution.. What gems that we do get, they sit. I love that part where I can buy rather easily, but realize that may be holding us back from getting some greats... I always see stouts being bought too. Maybe people my way arent exactly in love with Imperial Stouts... Their loss.

---------
Had two more of Odell's Mychenary DIPAs over the past few days... That off flavor I was tasting heavily is not present this time around.. I did notice a whole bunch of floaties in this batch of bottled beer. The floaties appear to be of the hop variety. They dont exactly fall out of the beer to the bottom. Or have a true structure when trying to clean it up... But a nice clean pour helps immensely... Maybe the pour threw off the flavors the first time around? Very easy to drink for a near 10% DIPA.... The hops are a bit diminished here. Doesnt feel above a 75 IBU. Went by three diff. beer stores over the past two weeks and each had a large range of best by dates on their Mychenary... The one I got 1/2/14 from Total Wine is almost 5-8 weeks older than the other two... 2/2/14 and 2/26/14 on the others.... I had an initial rating of maybe a 8.6 that jumps up to a 9.2- 9.3. I am interested in seeing how a fresher bottle will taste.

-----
Comparison Ford coming with the heat.. What's in the mini growler looking black jug? Is that the bourbon county stout?

Last edited:
Comparison Ford coming with the heat.. IWhat's in the mini growler looking black jug? Is that the back county stout?
That's 2012 Bourbon County Stout.  Just got word from da god at the beer distributor that they're getting in Bourbon County Vanilla, Bourbon County Coconut, Bourbon County Barleywine, and possibly some rare fruit variation.  He told me he'd save me one of each.  He's a swell guy, I tell ya.

Double Bastard was one of the first "big beers" I ever had. I just did a vertical tasting of '09,'10 & '11 & Southern Charred (barrel aged Double Bastard). The heat and hops on the '09 had really smoothed out and was a touch sweeter when compared to the '11. These beers age pretty well. 

Southern Charred is an awesome beer. A bourbon barrel does wonders to Double Bastard. Strong flavors of toffee, vanilla, and wood come across in the taste and aroma which I love in bourbon barrel aged beers.
Was the tasting done at a local beer shop? That sounds like a great experience...I'm afraid to let IPAs sit past 4 months, let alone 6 months or 2 years. So it's nice to hear there was some hops left in those versions.

I was tempted yesterday by Southern Charred. Then I saw the price... $16.99.. I can buy almost a gallon of quality local growler beer for that price. I guess I can and do turn away beer. Comparison Ford, I believe SC is a bourbon barrel aged double bastard. Exactly what you were thinking... I went in there wanting some Deschutes Abyss but I guess my area won't be getting any for another two weeks.. Bummer. I didn't walk away empty handed though.. Ten Fidy drew me in once again... Canned 1/3/2013

Yeah it was at a Stone store. It's something they did for the 16th anniversary of Arrogant Bastard. I don't blame you for passing on Southern Charred, it's definitely pricey. I'm very selective when it comes to paying $15+ for a bottle of beer. I won't spend that kind of money unless I've tried a sampler of it on tap at some point or another. That said, I probably would have bought a bottle to hold on to if they hadn't already sold out.

Comparison Ford coming with the heat.. IWhat's in the mini growler looking black jug? Is that the back county stout?

That's 2012 Bourbon County Stout.  Just got word from da god at the beer distributor that they're getting in Bourbon County Vanilla, Bourbon County Coconut, Bourbon County Barleywine, and possibly some rare fruit variation.  He told me he'd save me one of each.  He's a swell guy, I tell ya.

You must spend a decent amount of money in there from what you post haha. I have some heat as well to post for tomorrow. I don't have my usb cable on me right now.

Lets just say Based Mod hooked me up beyond what I expected. I'll have to pay it forward heavy! Thanks brotha!

Wally and Based, I'm finally on vacation for 12 days and I will get down to packing stuff for shipping out tomorrow after church.

A new Wegman's opened up 5 minutes from my house so I made two mixer sixers. Reviews to come.

Last night I had 21st Amendments Back in Black IPA. Im a big IPA fan so this is perfect for the winter. IPA on the front and it ends with a chocolatey malt. Super good. The fruity notes are still present as well

Probably going to try Lagunitas Brown Shugga tonight

Currently drinking this

Pretty good. It's dark but actually refreshing. Very subtle vanilla. A little sourness to it too

As I said before Thank you once again Based!!!

Firestone Walker Velvet Merkin BBA Oatmeal Stout
Black Tuesday from Bruery
Pliny the Elder RR
Modern Times Blazing World Amber

Got a lot of packing to do for a couple NTers and a couple BA dudes

And of course while packing beer and watching football...

Last edited:
Went and had just two of our winter brew selection this past weekend.

Anderson Valley Winter Solistice
Leinenkugel's Snowdrift Vanilla Porter
-----------

Winter Solistice. Probably more in line with what I was thinking when I hear 'winter warmer' style of beer.. Very malt forward.. I found it very hard to distinguish any flavors. Winter cooking spices flavored all over this beer. Alcohol was very well hidden. No true sign of any hop flavors. I found it just kind of BLAH... I would rate it around a 8/10........ I checked BA scores after... 87/100. I may need to revisit this one. What are others seeing that I'm not. Would I buy again? NO. I'm intrigued but this one is just very malt forward. Some people love that.. I do not.

Vanilla Porter... Anything brewed with a hint of chocolate malt will hard pressed to make a bad beer. Just your typical stout like flavors. Thinner mouthfeel than what I expecting. Carbonation was a bit too crisp for my liking. Hints of vanilla were nice... 8.2/10.... BA score 77/100 Would I buy again? No. Lots of other great options for porters or stouts.

---------

I need some advice here.. It looks like a local beer store will be getting some Goose Island BCS series for a black friday release.. It'll be the first for our state so I dont know if there will be any hype.

Bourbon County Stout

Bourbon County Coffee Stout

Bourbon County Barleywine

Bourbon County Stout Backyard Rye 22oz

If I had to run or go for one, should I stick with the original? Maybe the newer guys? Preferably, if they aren't too expensive, I can get one of each. I just need a plan of attack

Time for another review.

Never had anything from Mikkeller, but I decided to pick up a bottle of this upon the recommendation from da god at the beer distributor.  After doing a little research about this beer, it turns out that it's much more...interesting than I expected.  This beer is brewed with Civet coffee, which is one of the most expensive coffees in the world.  Civet coffee beans are harvested after Asian palm civets (toddy cats) eat the coffee berries and then poop out the beans.  Apparently the enzymes from their digestive tract breaks down the beans and gives them a more desirable flavor.  After harvesting, they're cleaned and ready to be ground and brewed.  A pound of Civet coffee generally sells somewhere between $100-600 in America.  But I digress...

This beer pours viscous and pitch black with a dark mocha head that dissipates slowly.  Lots of alcohol lacing left on the glass.  Aroma is mostly bitter coffee and roasted malts, with a slight chocolate sweetness in the background.  Taste is the same, with an additional creaminess and a stronger coffee flavor than I expected.  The best way I could describe this beer is a jacked-up, less sweet Founders Breakfast Stout that has the mouthfeel and booziness of TEN FIDY. Another good beer to compare this to would be Imperial Biscotti Break from Evil Twin. Based off of the fact that I'm comparing Brunch Weasel to a bunch of other world-class beers, it's safe to say this is a damn good offering. The only thing holding me back from purchasing this beer again is the price.  Having said that, I'm glad it was recommended to me and I'm glad I gave it a shot.  9.4/10

I need some advice here.. It looks like a local beer store will be getting some Goose Island BCS series for a black friday release.. It'll be the first for our state so I dont know if there will be any hype.

Bourbon County Stout

Bourbon County Coffee Stout

Bourbon County Barleywine

Bourbon County Stout Backyard Rye 22oz

If I had to run or go for one, should I stick with the original? Maybe the newer guys? Preferably, if they aren't too expensive, I can get one of each. I just need a plan of attack
I can only speak for the first two, but they're both fantastic.  Coffee is better than the regular.  My favorite bourbon-barrel aged imperial stout of all time.

Had a Southern Tier 2xIPA tonight. Waaaayyyyy too floral/piney. I'm a fan of more fruity IPAs. This one legit tasted like what I imagine grass would taste like. I usually think the dudes on BA are pretty harsh with their reviews but this one was spot on

I'm clueless as to why this beer has an average BA score of 90+. As someone who solely drinks IPAs, I'm confident in saying it was the worst DIPA I have ever tasted. I don't really know how to explain my experience besides summarizing it: there is absolutely nothing special or intriguing about this beer. It's balanced to the point where it doesn't even taste like an IPA. Not hoppy. Not malty. Just bland. Watered down and underwhelming in every sense of the word.

I'm someone who believes it's blasphemous to pour out a "good" beer without finishing it. But this beer merited a pouring-down-the-drain. I made it halfway though the bottle before giving up (forgive me, beer gods). 

OVERALL: There is nothing redeeming about this beer. Utter disappointment in my opinion.

Serving type: bottle

Grabbed some Fat Tire for my uncles and dad... Got a 4 pack of FBS for my cousin from Chicago... Got a Raspberry Lambic for the wife... Made a 6 pack with 2 FBS, Ten Fidy, DFH Indian Brown Ale and Burton Baton and Bells Christmas Ale... Happy Thanksgiving Beer Heads

Back
Top Bottom