NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Finally had Torpedo for the first time last night. Not that impressed. I've had way better IPAs. It was a bit more on the floral side which I hate in IPA. I prefer the more fruity ones. This one was too balanced. Not hoppy. Not fruity. Not too floral. It was just mediocre to me. Give me a bells 2 hearted or a 60/90 min and I'm set

Surprise. I'm pretty hammered again. The kids sleep over at grandma's and all hell breaks loose.
Went to the local brewery tonight. Smog City Brewing.
Started off with the Grape Ape IPA, then went to a Plum Saison, then a Bloddy Knuckle Stout, then a Hoptango IPA (IPA brewed with Mango). Then came home and cracked open the Rogue Pretzel-Chocolate-Raspberry ale which was excellent.
Not a bad or subpar beer in the bunch.

Have a great weekend everybody!

-J-

Jbug, you sound like me. First weekend of the new year... I have failed myself miserably...

Went by two breweries and blew my budget for the month. Went by La Cumbre. Had their Malpais Stout, then two Elevated IPAs.. This time around, the carbonation was a bit muted allowing for this incredibly creamy mouthfeel on their IPA. I couldn't get enough. The beer was also a bit murky/cloudy looking. Something about this batch made it incredibly tasty...

Couldn't leave without some growlers... We took home two growlers, a hefeweizen, and a weizenbock ( I loved comparing the two styles.. Very similar. One just a touch boozier and creamier)....... We then stopped at another place, Il Vicino brewery. I was surprised to see that they recently brought back their 2013 GABF gold medal winning beer (with a gap in production when the GABF comes out to when winners are announced, no brewery seems ready for the public to taste "medal winners" when they are announced). Panama Joe's Coffee Stout. Fresh ground coffee smell and flavors dominate this brew. I had two there and decided on taking a grolwer home for next weekend (hopefully it lasts). It looks like its been on tap for 6-7 weeks now. So that goes to show that i haven't been there in awhile. Nice surprise for me though. *photo to follow soon

------
Home Brew news.... Here is a shot of our extremely light Cream Ale

We used flaked corn and rice to really lighten up the taste and flavor. I think it has just one or two types of malt. We used some yeast from a prior IPA batch, so the flavor is quite unique. I taste a bit of rice and corn in the taste. It's not very sweet yet is a 6% abv beer. It tastes between a cross of a hefeweizen and a saison. The yeast flavors taste a bit wild. But still has some fruit flavors... Not our best work. But it won't go to waste....

Surprise. I'm pretty hammered again. The kids sleep over at grandma's and all hell breaks loose. Then came home and cracked open the Rogue Pretzel-Chocolate-Raspberry ale which was excellent.

-J-

I don't believe you... :nerd: :tongue:

@wallyhopp

Hows the ipa glass? Worth the cop?

Which one? The Sierra Nevada/DFH Spiegelau(sp?)? my boy copped one when I didn't (I regret it terribly) and everytime we share an IPA thats his go to glass. Plus it looks awesome. If you can cop one do so.

@wallyhopp

'

Super fragile. It tends to enhances the aroma/smell as you drink very floral/pleasant smelling IPAs.. If you have an extra $15 bucks and enjoy IPAs more than once a month, it's a nice addition to ones glass collection.

My local breweries use imperial pints, normal pint glasses, and occasionally will have hefe glasses/pilsner glasses/goblets and tulip glasses... So in all reality, you may receive a minor increase only noticed by a true beer geek/nerd/snob. It may turn average IPAs into something a bit BETTER. But a great IPA can only be so great so the results for me are less noticeable. I can drink some of my favorite stuff out of a shoe and still love it. The changes are very minor and add up to a small positive change in the profile of a beer. I felt it was definitely worth it

Deschutes Red Chair NWPA is very solid.. Reminds me of Dale's Pale Ale.. The hop aroma is lacking (compared to a IPA, which makes my comment counter productive because it's not an IPA. But I still feel 60 IBU should bring more to the table).. Flavor is not lacking.. Malt complexity with a touch of hops to bring in a solid balance of flavors... I think those weary of IPAs should really look at Pale Ales. Dale's PA is a touch hoppier than Red Chair... I like it but still tend to want MORE hops.. I guess the IPAs have a strong hold on me. I like what's there but feel a bit more hops could help these beers out.. Not sure I'd buy another six pack. A bit heavier in the mouthfeel, but it doesn't taste boozy (6.2% abv). It's extremely solid and a must try of you even just remotely like hops or LOVE them. To compare one 60 ibu beer to another, lagunitas sucks is right around the same mark but I feel has a better aroma, and an even better balance consdering its dealing with 7.9% abv... Just a matter of opinion I guess.. Reading up on this beer, it looks like it won a Best beer in the world award. I'm glad I read that after trying this one. I don't want my judgements to be biased

btw, that SN-DFH IPA glass perfectly fits a 16 oz. canned IPA (the glass technically fits 19 oz. But you get 16 oz of beer and a 1 1/4 inch of foam head... I have found my new go to glass for my local IPA

Last edited:
Hopslam hit the shelves today in Michigan. I would suggest you get some
Heard Bell's is officially making its way to New York on January 20th.  Hope this means Long Island is getting some.  I'd love to be able to get my hands on some Two Hearted, Hopslam, and Black Note. 

In other news, the 2014 batch of Firestone Walker Sucaba just came out.  Probably my favorite English Barleywine.  Will be stockpiling.

Bells isn't in NY? They are my favorite brewery

And I want that Rogue Voodoo; last two kinda sucked though

@wallyhopp

'

Super fragile. It tends to enhances the aroma/smell as you drink very floral/pleasant smelling IPAs.. If you have an extra $15 bucks and enjoy IPAs more than once a month, it's a nice addition to ones glass collection.

My local breweries use imperial pints, normal pint glasses, and occasionally will have hefe glasses/pilsner glasses/goblets and tulip glasses... So in all reality, you may receive a minor increase only noticed by a true beer geek/nerd/snob. It may turn average IPAs into something a bit BETTER. But a great IPA can only be so great so the results for me are less noticeable. I can drink some of my favorite stuff out of a shoe and still love it. The changes are very minor and add up to a small positive change in the profile of a beer. I felt it was definitely worth it

Thanks for the info!

Bells isn't in NY? They are my favorite brewery

I've heard things about Bells being available in Western NY, but it's nowhere to be found in NYC and Long Island.  Hoping this becomes a reality.

I had 4 GIdy Ups to drink up out of a New Belgium 12 pack variety set.. I tried this one straight out of the bottle... Tasting too much lemon and citrus mixed with coffee the first time around, I was surprised to find the citrus and lemon all but gone when drinking out of the bottle.. I get hints of mild malt flavors, and a rush of coffee.. It;s basically a coffee brown ale (if there is such a thing).. I actually liked it this time around..

Morale of the story, if you hate the way a beer tastes, switch up how you serve or drink it. For me, it went from a near drain pour to above acceptable

Last edited:

The Maple Bacon one was, honestly, one of the worst beers I've ever had.
The Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana was tolerable.
This Pretzel-Choc-Raspberry is definitely the star of the bunch, IMO.

And RUST, yeah, same price as the maple doo doo beer. :lol:

-J-

The Maple Bacon one was, honestly, one of the worst beers I've ever had.
The Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana was tolerable.
This Pretzel-Choc-Raspberry is definitely the star of the bunch, IMO.

And RUST, yeah, same price as the maple doo doo beer. :lol:

-J-

Rogue, right?

If so, I absolutely HATED that beer. Awful taste.

Surprise. I'm pretty hammered again. The kids sleep over at grandma's and all hell breaks loose.
Went to the local brewery tonight. Smog City Brewing.
Started off with the Grape Ape IPA, then went to a Plum Saison, then a Bloddy Knuckle Stout, then a Hoptango IPA (IPA brewed with Mango). Then came home and cracked open the Rogue Pretzel-Chocolate-Raspberry ale which was excellent.

-J-

What is this style of beer glass called? Can't find them anywhere to save my life...

Back
Top Bottom