NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

The last of my resolutions busted.
Bomber purchase

YeahitsRUST, get at me man if you're interested. I sent you a message awhile back about the potential of this happening and it's finally here!

Finally decided to crack into one of these.  Pours a deep golden amber color with surprisingly little carbonation/head.  At first I poured only 8 ounces into the glass, but after noting what was in the bottom of the bottle I decided to pour the rest in.  This was the result:

Damb, papi.  Hop city.  Aroma on this beer is equal parts citrus and pine/resin with a hint of malts in there.  Taste is similar.  Grapefruit, pineapple, pine, resin, and caramel malts dominate.  I'm a little over 1/3 of the way through at the moment, and while this is definitely a good beer I don't really get the hype.  I think DirtWolf, Sucks, and Flower Power all have this beat.  For a beer that gets a 97 overall on BeerAdvocate, I don't think this comes anywhere close to beers like Pliny or Heady.  In closing: was this a worthwhile purchase? Absolutely.  I'd certainly buy this again or have it on tap if it was available to me.  Does it live up to the hype?  I don't think so. 9.2/10

Stopped by a small homebrewing/craft beer boutique store today.  Obviously wasn't gonna leave empty-handed:

Oh...and the owner threw in some freebies for good measure:

Just had my first drain pour. Shipyards mint chocolate stout. The mint taste is absolutely awful and it lingers in your mouth long after

I said this a couple pages back... We can't give the beer away at work... 50 cent pints and no one buyshan one :lol: more t

Something may be off with my taste buds... Every BCBCS after the initial one just isn't the same. I'm trying to recreate that moment.. Six or so drank thus far... is this just a case of familiarity sinking in? Some get to try one or two and are left ecstatic until their next try. But for me, it's the opposite. The bourbon notes are so overpowering. How is this the 4th best beer in the world? Do I need to do a sampling of some 'bad' stouts to reconfigure my senses? I guess in all, its a great problem to have lol.

Drinkability at its 13.4% mark is what really sets it apart I suppose. But taste wise, it takes some finely tuned sampling to get past the bourbon... I like it... The abv to cost ratio remains in a decent direction. But to hold it to a crazy internet standard? I don't know if I can do that.

Comparison Ford, what are your thoughts on the BCBS series? I found the regular BCBS even more filled with bourbon flavors than the coffee. And the Barley Wine was kind of in the middle.. Amazing, and great. But I guess I tend to prefer the Founders Breakfast Stout type stouts.. I haven't had one in about 2 weeks, so maybe a revisit is in store.

btw great glassware. Wish my local places had a decent selection. You don't see much attention given to those all that much.. Most places just have gift sets with a few nice pieces in there, but mainly pint glasses with art.

Comparison Ford, what are your thoughts on the BCBS series? I found the regular BCBS even more filled with bourbon flavors than the coffee. And the Barley Wine was kind of in the middle.. Amazing, and great. But I guess I tend to prefer the Founders Breakfast Stout type stouts.. I haven't had one in about 2 weeks, so maybe a revisit is in store.

btw great glassware. Wish my local places had a decent selection. You don't see much attention given to those all that much.. Most places just have gift sets with a few nice pieces in there, but mainly pint glasses with art.
Funny that you mention that.  I actually thought this year's BCBS was a lot more subdued compared to the 2012, which I found to be a flat-out bourbon bomb.  I have 7 of the regular BCBS left, and 3 of the BCBBW.  I loved both this year, but I won't be cracking any open for a considerable amount of time.  Great beers, but not something I'd drink on a regular basis. Definitely a sipper reserved for special occasions, whereas a beer like FBS I could literally drink every single day. However, I feel like every time I drink one it's a new experience where different flavors stand out to me.  I drank one about two weeks ago and noticed big toasted coconut notes that I hadn't picked up as much earlier.

Regarding BCBCS: if you ever feel like you're stuck with too much of it, or that you're just over it...I wouldn't mind relieving you of that burden 
laugh.gif

On an unrelated note: just finished up a Lagunitas Sucks, so I decided to follow it up with an Ithaca Flower Power to see which I enjoy more.  Think I have to give the nod to Flower Power.  It's like Heady Topper Jr. 
laugh.gif

Funny that you mention that.  I actually thought this year's BCBS was a lot more subdued compared to the 2012, which I found to be a flat-out bourbon bomb.  I have 7 of the regular BCBS left, and 3 of the BCBBW.  I loved both this year, but I won't be cracking any open for a considerable amount of time.  Great beers, but not something I'd drink on a regular basis. Definitely a sipper reserved for special occasions, whereas a beer like FBS I could literally drink every single day. However, I feel like every time I drink one it's a new experience where different flavors stand out to me.  I drank one about two weeks ago and noticed big toasted coconut notes that I hadn't picked up as much earlier.

Regarding BCBCS: if you ever feel like you're stuck with too much of it, or that you're just over it...I wouldn't mind relieving you of that burden :lol:

On an unrelated note: just finished up a Lagunitas Sucks, so I decided to follow it up with an Ithaca Flower Power to see which I enjoy more.  Think I have to give the nod to Flower Power.  It's like Heady Topper Jr. :lol:
When I picked up some pliny the elder yesterday I was told lagunitas sucks is slightly superior and I should try a side by side comparison. Any of you guys had both and agree?

Regarding BCBCS: if you ever feel like you're stuck with too much of it, or that you're just over it...I wouldn't mind relieving you of that burden 
laugh.gif

On an unrelated note: just finished up a Lagunitas Sucks, so I decided to follow it up with an Ithaca Flower Power to see which I enjoy more.  Think I have to give the nod to Flower Power.  It's like Heady Topper Jr. 
laugh.gif
When I picked up some pliny the elder yesterday I was told lagunitas sucks is slightly superior and I should try a side by side comparison. Any of you guys had both and agree?
I've had both.  I disagree, but not passionately. I've only had one bottle of Pliny in my life (big ups to @da shoefreak) and I thought it was a 10/10.  I gave Sucks a 9.6.  Really depends on what types of hops you enjoy more.  At the end of the day they're both winners. 

Drinking this s'more porter from a brewery out in Yucaipa California. If you guys ever head out there for hangar 24 check these guys out. Friendliest nicest staff and customers and amazing beers.

Regarding BCBCS: if you ever feel like you're stuck with too much of it, or that you're just over it...I wouldn't mind relieving you of that burden :lol:

On an unrelated note: just finished up a Lagunitas Sucks, so I decided to follow it up with an Ithaca Flower Power to see which I enjoy more.  Think I have to give the nod to Flower Power.  It's like Heady Topper Jr. :lol:
I've had both.  I disagree, but not passionately. I've only had one bottle of Pliny in my life (big ups to @da shoefreak
) and I thought it was a 10/10.  I gave Sucks a 9.6.  Really depends on what types of hops you enjoy more.  At the end of the day they're both winners. 

I totally agree with Comparison Ford Comparison Ford

Pliny is damn near perfect to me, but I gotta go out of my way to get it. I can go to my neighborhood liquor store and cop Sucks, which is great.

I've got 3 bottles left of my BCBS. I dont want to touch it for at least the next few months. I'm a noob to this aging thing, so forgive the ignorance on this question. When you "age" it, do you leave it in the cupboard or the fridge?

Last edited:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I've had both.  I disagree, but not passionately. I've only had one bottle of Pliny in my life (big ups to @da shoefreak
) and I thought it was a 10/10.  I gave Sucks a 9.6.  Really depends on what types of hops you enjoy more.  At the end of the day they're both winners. 

I totally agree with @Comparison Ford

Pliny is damn near perfect to me, but I gotta go out of my way to get it. I can go to my neighborhood liquor store and cop Sucks, which is great.

I've got 3 bottles left of my BCBS. I dont want to touch it for at least the next few months. I'm a noob to this aging thing, so forgive the ignorance on this question. When you "age" it, do you leave it in the cupboard or the fridge?
Ideally? Neither, unless your cupboards stay at a constant 50-55 degrees.  Aging a beer in the fridge will cause the beer to develop "chill haze" .  Aging a beer in a cupboard that gets too warm will shorten the lifespan of the beer.  I keep a mini-fridge in my basement exclusively for beer storage and keep it on the lowest temperature setting.  My basement can get up to 90+ degree temperatures in the summer.  No way I'm leaving my nicer bottles out in that.

Last edited:

I totally agree with [@=https://niketalk.com/members/79697"age" it, do you leave it in the cupboard or the fridge?
Ideally? Neither, unless your cupboards stay at a constant 50-55 degrees.  Aging a beer in the fridge will cause the beer to develop "chill haze" .  Aging a beer in a cupboard that gets too warm will shorten the lifespan of the beer.  I keep a mini-fridge in my basement exclusively for beer storage and keep it on the lowest temperature setting.  My basement can get up to 90+ degree temperatures in the summer.  No way I'm leaving my nicer bottles out in that.
@comparison

Thanks for the info!

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I totally agree with @@Comparison Ford

@comparison

Thanks for the info!
Any time!

ATTENTION FLORIDA NT'ERS:  I'm willing to pay double what you paid for a bottle or two of Hunahpu.  Hunahpu Day is March 8th this year.  I take back everything I've ever said about the fine state of Florida.

Last edited:
A triple play of AMAZING this past evening

Project Dank is a 2013 GABF bronze medal winning IPA. So glad this was my first bomber purchase of the new year. I waited 8 days after bottling date. That may have been the hoppiest beer I have ever had. I have had it on tap, but this bottled batch just seals in the hop juices like nothing else. It's truly a hit or miss/"what you feel like drinking that particular night" sort of beer.

Dank is basically a take off from their signature IPA, Elevated IPA. It's hopped up like nothing I have tried before, so the drinkability is a touch hindered. ABV increases about 0.3% points to 7.5%. If you're a hop fiend, this is for you.. Others still may preference the balance of elevated ipa. To be honest, I think I may prefer the traditional Elevated IPA over their Dank beer. To go from 7.2% to 7.5%, they took a few hits (at least in their bottle form. It now has the same mouthfeel as a Sucks). They are both still super solid at 7.5 to 8% beers, but at the same time, that threshold of 7.2% appears to be their money zone.

BCBCS, I let sit for like 2.5 hours. It was basically 50-60 degrees upon finally drinking. I'm back on their bandwagon.. That temp has to be just right to pick up so many new hints of flavor.

-----------

Fade on You, I can never seem to find Celebrator around my way.. One day... One day I will try it.
----------
salazaro44,
S'more porter sounds amazing.. Marshmallow milkiness with that burnt marshmallow chocolate flavor.. Nice! (at least thats how I envision a s'more beer.. Heck even some graham cracker biscuity flavor)

Regarding comparisons of Sucks to others.. I have never had Pliny or heady topper, or Sculpin... The amount of comparisons this beer is taking on is quite commendable. I do have a local legend that has a surprisingly close profile to Lagunitas Sucks, which forced me into almost 8 separate blind tastings.. 40% of the time, I guessed them wrong. I should know more about the beer I have had a 100 of vs. 20-30 Sucks. The closeness shocked me.

ramble in spoiler
I've never had Pliny so no comparison there for me with Sucks... On my own local front, I have this beer I talk about almost weekly, La Cumbre Elevated IPA.. 7.2% ABV, 100 IBU. I knew initially from my own taste buds, and from posts in here, they had very very similar profiles.. It's amazing that other beers are being compared to Sucks as well.. That really must be that prototypical 'perfect' IPA style of beer. Tropical/Grapefruit notes galore, and a bit of a piney resiny hop flavor.

I'll provide some photos later on. But a quick side by side run down

Lagunitas Sucks- 7.85% abv 63 IBU
La Cumbre Elevated IPA- 7.2% ABV, 100 IBU

Off of initial smell at about 40 degrees, they are almost identical. The color is nearly identical as well. The one big difference is that Sucks ends up having a much larger longer lasting head retention. Foam lasts almost forever and the lacing is quite amazing. After realizing which one provides the longer lasting foam, it's easy to tell which is which visually. I had to turn to eyes closed blind tasting lol. Color alone though, they are 96% similar.

Flavor and smell wise, La Cumbre has a much more pleasant aroma. A hoppy sweetness if you will. It may be that extra 40 IBU at work here. It doesnt taste quite 2x hoppier, so thats a plus. But in the taste and smell alone, after drinking hundreds of La Cumbre's, I get a sense of what that beer is all about.

To commend Sucks, it took awhile to gain some separation between the two. When it's all said and done, Sucks ends up being a sweeter, thicker tasting, heartier IPA, where La Cumbre has a slight edge in drinkability, with a nice dry semi sweet finish. The hop blast doesn't quite occur with sucks, but you get that puckering effect once or twice with LC, but it still has a bit better of that lighter body experience.

At the end of the day, both are 97 BA beers. One's a local that has gained some solid awards but hasn't quite gotten the following that sucks has. It's my belief that Elevated IPA could be what Sucks has become.. I'm not sure this small hometown brewery is capable of that. And I'm not sure I want that.. I enjoy my $9-$10 four packs and $10 growlers. lol

As they warm up, Sucks tend to have a more toasted toffee like taste, where Elevated IPAs hop aroma/grapefruit smell takes over. So they sort of diverge from being TOO similar, to having at least some some distinction.

Between Sucks, Dank, and Elevated, Sucks is the cheapest but harder to find out of season, Elevated is always fresh, and Dank is twice the price of Elevated. My mind is almost made up for me there. Elevated has to remain that go to beer.

As you drink them in normal temperature conditions, the main reason why a blind tasting was a challenge was in the grapefruit sweetness and that piney resiny hop taste that initially hits your palette. But of them have it nearly identical.

Comparison Ford, I may have asked before. What are your thoughts on storing beer in a closet that may reach 80 degrees in the summer, and 55 in the winter vs. storing them strictly in the fridge. Both have their cons, but which cons are less severe in your opinion? I've been holding onto some pretty mediocre local RIS that I want to "age" properly. but thus far have only kept in the fridge since May/June '13. I also have some Abyss 12 and 13 that I want to try and store away for awhile .

Last edited:
^ Not comparison, but you're better off keeping your beers at constant temperature (i.e. fridge at its warmest temp) than out in your closet. Be careful though - it can get very humid and since it's not exactly cold, mold can thrive in there. If you have to keep them in your closet, put the bottles in a styrofoam container with some blue ice packs (they don't have to be cold/frozen) to mediate the temperature swings.

About LC possibly expanding, I hope for your sake they don't even though I'd like to get a taste of it out here in CA. Ballast Point's Sculpin was AMAZING a few years ago, but they expanded production and so quality fell. Still one of my favorites and still delicious, but not like I remembered.

WallyHopp, that's exactly what the s'more porter tastes like. The mouthfeel is really unique. Like marshmallow fluff. Having another tonight.

Back
Top Bottom