NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

I was about to grab another bottle of parabola but my gf talked me out of it after spending a ridiculous amount of money for coachella beers next week.

Only cans are allowed. Stocked up on modern times blackhouse and blazing world, Oskar blues dale pale ale and ten fidy, ballast point sculpin and big eye, a few 32 oz mission ship wreck ipa and 2 cases of pbr.

this one is alright. aroma had some fruits but faded away, can smell some sweetness. taste, you can taste some sweetness and smokiness but the alcohol is pretty boozy. to me it kinda tasted like whiskey lol.

Last edited:
I was about to grab another bottle of parabola but my gf talked me out of it after spending a ridiculous amount of money for coachella beers next week.

Only cans are allowed. Stocked up on modern times blackhouse and blazing world, Oskar blues dale pale ale and ten fidy, ballast point sculpin and big eye, a few 32 oz mission ship wreck ipa and 2 cases of pbr.

You are definitely prepared sir! I'm still trying to figure out what I'm bringing. Are you staying at the campsite?

Last edited:
You are definitely prepared sir! I'm still trying to figure out what I'm bringing. Are you staying at the campsite?
Yessir. Getting there bright and early. Leaving Orange County at 3 am Thursday morning. Last year we got the left corner spot literally right in front of the entrance.

Nice! I'll be staying in a house in Palm Desert. Got some friends camping as well so maybe we can meetup.

Keeping it low key through the weekend. Fridays pickups

I had to try at least one 14 stone irs. I couldn't pass up some fresh la cumbre elevated. I feel I neglect another local favorite too much. I went with their 4.7% pilsner and I spotted a 2012 bba imperial stout. It's some costly stuff but I feel it's gonna be worth it.

I had a elevated a few nights ago and something was off. I tried it again two days ago and my taste buds are still apparently shot. Last night, same thing. I try that one the most because I know that one the best. I even tried a shocktop apple and that tasted fine. I'm getting worried lol.

went to hangar 24 for the first time.

had the palmero, it's a nice beer. nothing too special but tasted fruits and spices. it was kinda thin on the tongue but it had a nice crisp finish.

the barrel roll series hammerhead, and wow. i've never had bourbon barrel aged beers before, and this was awesome. first thing i tasted was the bourbon barrel, it was really intense with the vanilla and the fruit notes. it was definitely a sipper i'm so glad i was able to try this.

the warmer, a very good beer. tasted some sweetness and citrusy notes, there was a bit of biterness. it was definitely good.

Last edited:
Being a little under the weather the past week, I decided go right to the source to see if it tasted any better there.. La Cumbre Elevated IPA
My taste buds are probably 85% there with this particular beer.

I had their malpais stout as well and it tasted great. No off flavors or anything.

It's all changing so fast over there though. Almost half of their beers were "no growlers". Of all days NOT to have a growler, I guess I picked the right day to not have one. Project Dank was completely sold out. I realize they bottle/can for distrubution, and this in brewery sales is more of a luxury. But things are changing. Dank sold out within a week the last time it released. A new batch releases tomorrow. I may wander over there and scoop out the area. Some shops have older batches lying around... Once a beer becomes a chore to obtain, I am okay moving on to something else. I hope this stuff doesnt get that way.

I did end up with a Barrel Aged Russian Imperial Stout in a bomber. I bought one.
e32632467afd4bfb8c05356b21c1cea1_640x640.jpg

Others were buying 4-6. This hoarding/trading culture is crazy. I think I see more dank and elevated reviewed by out of staters than in state people. I figured I better buy one before its sold out. I'm gonna let it sit in my fridge until at least November. I had a sample awhile back and its a bit 'hot'.

I saw about 5 people walk in with growlers, and left within seconds when their favorite beer wasnt available in growler form. I'm not sure what to make of this. People around here seem to carry some sort of loyalty to a brand, but at the same time, most seem to be level headed enough to just go to another brewery and maybe try something else. So they are definitely losing some business. I've seen 3-4 month old Elevated IPAs sit in random grocery stores and gas stations. Would that beer have been better served being served in house? Growing pains for sure. Maybe some people are just cheap. Growlers have always been a really good deal. I feel the canned versions are just as good. Most people wanted none of that. They didn't even want to try seasonals that WERE available in growlers. Competition is so stiff that it seems like some of these people are loyal to your brand, but then they can so easily go to the next place that offers then nearly the same experience.

After that whole "fiasco"/ "disappointment", I headed over to Marble Brewing. They were fresh on my mind after having bought some cans/bottles. I went with a pint of their double white, 7% witbier. Very spicy this time around. I also had to give their IPA a try. I liked it alot this time around. Better than elevated. My taste buds are definitely playing games..

I eventually found a growler to use, and picked up some maibock lager from another local place

I'm new to beers. Never started liking it til 2 summers ago when I drank a Heineken on a summer night. I'm mostly a liquor guy

Can someone school me on a beer startup kit? What are some good beginner ones to try?

I mostly **** with Heineken, Guiness and Shock Top

I'm new to beers. Never started liking it til 2 summers ago when I drank a Heineken on a summer night. I'm mostly a liquor guy

Can someone school me on a beer startup kit? What are some good beginner ones to try?

I mostly **** with Heineken, Guiness and Shock Top
That's a pretty good amount of variety for someone just getting into beer.  You're on the right track, my friend.

I recommend starting slow: try some hefeweizens/witbiers, maybe a chocolate stout (pairing it with actual chocolate also helps), etc.  Then try to graduate to IPAs, barrel-aged beers (stouts, English barleywines, etc.).  Determine what you like and don't like throughout the process and let that guide you.  Oh...also take a look at the link below.  Breaks down just about every beer by style and rates them by popularity and score.  Happy drinking, papi:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

neosole89, im finally getting around to trying some of these Cali IPAs out with a couple buddies.

Terrible lighting as usual. But you get the idea

First up was the Firestone Walker Double Jack. Bottle date was around 2/7/14. Not technically ideal but I had no expectations going in.

Smell of faint citrus and pine. Taste was of nearly the same smells. I caught almost zero alcohol burn or bite. Very light tasting, if that makes sense. I caught hint of that faint "spoiled" hop taste I've caught out of some other beers I have traded for. No real sense of any floral hops. Bitterness was there but balanced. No true sense of anything tropical fruit flavor wise. A lot of DIPAs I have had that aren't highly regarded seem to be too abrasive with hop flavor. So to have that nice balance on a 9.% beer is tough to come by. Most definitely worth its BA score... I don't think it's one I want to seek out again. A level below HT and PtE.

Second up was a Bear Republic APEX Special IPA.. I think the bottle date read late 2013. But it rubbed off soon after being refrigerated.

TROPICAL.. TROPICAL.. TROPICAL FRUITS.. You can smell it right away with some minor dankness (think onions and maybe garlic and a grassy "weed" like character). Taste wise, I get an overwhelming sense of a tropical fruit. Very sweet tasting mouthfeel, which makes it quite a bit thicker than double jack... Bitterness is slightly there. Nothing in the tongue to make it feel too bitter... One of my favorite IPA styles right here.. That fruit sweetness is absolutely killer. With the bottle date unknown, I still feel this delivers BIG TIME.. I didnt read the BA score before tasting But this has got to be a 97 at least. It has the structure of a 2-3 month old Project Dank imho..

Next up Union Jack, and the night cap will be a coffee stout, peche mortel.. Wish us luck

Last edited:
That's a pretty good amount of variety for someone just getting into beer.  You're on the right track, my friend.

I recommend starting slow: try some hefeweizens/witbiers, maybe a chocolate stout (pairing it with actual chocolate also helps), etc.  Then try to graduate to IPAs, barrel-aged beers (stouts, English barleywines, etc.).  Determine what you like and don't like throughout the process and let that guide you.  Oh...also take a look at the link below.  Breaks down just about every beer by style and rates them by popularity and score.  Happy drinking, papi:

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/style/

:pimp: repped

neosole89, im finally getting around to trying some of these Cali IPAs out with a couple buddies.

Terrible lighting as usual. But you get the idea

First up was the Firestone Walker Double Jack. Bottle date was around 2/7/14. Not technically ideal but I had no expectations going in.

Smell of faint citrus and pine. Taste was of nearly the same smells. I caught almost zero alcohol burn or bite. Very light tasting, if that makes sense. I caught hint of that faint "spoiled" hop taste I've caught out of some other beers I have traded for. No real sense of any floral hops. Bitterness was there but balanced. No true sense of anything tropical fruit flavor wise. A lot of DIPAs I have had that aren't highly regarded seem to be too abrasive with hop flavor. So to have that nice balance on a 9.% beer is tough to come by. Most definitely worth its BA score... I don't think it's one I want to seek out again. A level below HT and PtE.

Second up was a Bear Republic APEX Special IPA.. I think the bottle date read late 2013. But it rubbed off soon after being refrigerated.

TROPICAL.. TROPICAL.. TROPICAL FRUITS.. You can smell it right away with some minor dankness (think onions and maybe garlic and a grassy "weed" like character). Taste wise, I get an overwhelming sense of a tropical fruit. Very sweet tasting mouthfeel, which makes it quite a bit thicker than double jack... Bitterness is slightly there. Nothing in the tongue to make it feel too bitter... One of my favorite IPA styles right here.. That fruit sweetness is absolutely killer. With the bottle date unknown, I still feel this delivers BIG TIME.. I didnt read the BA score before tasting But this has got to be a 97 at least. It has the structure of a 2-3 month old Project Dank imho..

Next up Union Jack, and the night cap will be a coffee stout, peche mortel.. Wish us luck

Sorry about the Double Jack. I scoured the store and could not find any fresher bottles. Apex is up there as one of my favorite DIPA's. The bottled date was 2/25/14 or 2/26/14 if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get my hands on anymore until next year. All of my local spots have been cleaned out. For those who have not tried it, I'd highly recommend it.

Had these over the weekend. The DirtWolf was awesome! Got some tropical fruit notes with a nice bitterness at the end. Couldn't even notice the 8.7% ABV. I'd say it's up there with Pliny. Next was Jai Alai. Talk about juicy and creamy! Probably my favorite out of the three. Wish these were available in my area :lol:. The Two Hearted had a clean, crisp and refreshing taste to it. Got some pineapple and grapefruit up front with the floral hops adding a nice bitterness at the end. Very drinkable. Glad I was able to try all of these. Top notch brews for sure!

Last edited:
Sorry about the Double Jack. I scoured the store and could not find any fresher bottles. Apex is up there as one of my favorite DIPA's. The bottled date was 2/25/14 or 2/26/14 if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get my hands on anymore until next year. All of my local spots have been cleaned out. For those who have not tried it, I'd highly recommend it.

Had these over the weekend. The DirtWolf was awesome! Got some tropical fruit notes with a nice bitterness at the end. Couldn't even notice the 8.7% ABV. I'd say it's up there with Pliny. Next was Jai Alai. Talk about juicy and creamy! Probably my favorite out of the three. Wish these were available in my area :lol:. The Two Hearted had a clean, crisp and refreshing taste to it. Got some pineapple and grapefruit up front with the floral hops adding a nice bitterness at the end. Very drinkable. Glad I was able to try all of these. Top notch brews for sure!

All 3 of those are awesome. Have a couple of each left in my fridge ready to go. Nice choices!

If anyone is interested in trading, i'm always interested in Pliny, or RR sours and anything 3 Floyds. I'm from PA so i can get mostly anything that is distro'd here so maybe we could get something going.

Had these over the weekend. The DirtWolf was awesome! Got some tropical fruit notes with a nice bitterness at the end. Couldn't even notice the 8.7% ABV. I'd say it's up there with Pliny. Next was Jai Alai. Talk about juicy and creamy! Probably my favorite out of the three. Wish these were available in my area
laugh.gif
. The Two Hearted had a clean, crisp and refreshing taste to it. Got some pineapple and grapefruit up front with the floral hops adding a nice bitterness at the end. Very drinkable. Glad I was able to try all of these. Top notch brews for sure!
All 3 of those are awesome. Have a couple of each left in my fridge ready to go. Nice choices!

If anyone is interested in trading, i'm always interested in Pliny, or RR sours and anything 3 Floyds. I'm from PA so i can get mostly anything that is distro'd here so maybe we could get something going.
Can you get your hands on anything from Voodoo?

Neo: Glad you enjoyed!

Last edited:
I was in Tampa in October.
At Cigar City Brewing.
Sitting at the bar.
Ask me how Jai Alai was fresh at the brewery.
Oh yeah, that's right, I didn't try it.
*facepalm*

I mean the Tropical Tripel I had was really good, but still...

-J-

Looks like i'll be hitting you up in the near future!

Happy National Beer Day. Yes that's a holiday. I heard about it at the brewery as I came in to pick up some beers for trade.

You owe me jbug lol. Spent more than I expected. (joking of course, Getting out there was a great excuse to drink).

My taste buds are back baby! I went back to la cumbre for some malpais stout and their release of this latest project dank.

I ended up staying for a elevated and a project dank.

The best they've ever tasted. The dankness was borderline throat clogging. in a good way lol.

My initial concerns about no growlers on some beers was squashed just two days later. Only two were no growlers... Disaster averted. I wish there was a touch better communication with the bartenders and brewers letting people know to come back in 1-4 days if they want what they LOVE in a growler. I heard none of that Saturday afternoon.

I ended up walking with 3 danks (I saw a guy walk with a case. So I didn't feel that bad....) and a 4 pack of malpais stout

One of them may be free for trade. Get at me if youd like to try.. Bottled date is anywhere between 4/5 and 4/7.

Neosole: Dont worry about the double jack. It tasted just fine to me. I know a fresher bottle would taste even better than it did. So it's definitely something that was great to try at least once (i have one more). Finding a lighter bodied DIPA locally is almost impossible. So I truly appreciate the chance to try something different.

Comparison Ford: I was reading your reviews on your latest beers. Could KBS need some time to sit in a fridge or cellar? I felt FBS was better when it had 8-10 months on it .vs this last time where it had just 3-4. Do months in the scheme of things really affect taste? We're talking about beers that can be cellared for upwards of 5-6 years.

Last edited:
Happy National Beer Day. Yes that's a holiday. I heard about it at the brewery as I came in to pick up some beers for trade.

You owe me jbug lol. Spent more than I expected.

My taste buds are back baby! I went back to la cumbre for some malaise stout and their release of this latest project dank.

I ended up staying for a elevated and a project dank.

The best they've ever tasted.

My initial concerns about no growlers on some beers was squashed just two days later.

I appreciate it Wally. :lol:
I got a couple surprise beers going out to you.

Neosole, sucks to hear about apex. That one surprised me the most. Is it a seasonal? I've had their racer beer that comes in 12 oz bottles, and wasn't too impressed. Just really intense hops without any balance.

I wasn't able to do Union Jack or peche mortal last night so I've started those tonight.
National Beer day is turning into IPA day..

Union Jack.. I didnt realize this was a silver GABF 2013 IPA beer until after I tried it... Bottle date was late Jaunary. I sensed a tiny bit of hop aroma loss. But the mouthfeel was really solid. I didnt notice it was 7.5% ABV until well after finishing the glass.. Slighty piney and citrus. It's become a common theme with great IPAs. It looks like some of the hops used are the same that Elevated uses. So I had to have one of those too. I gotta give the nod in flavor to Double Jack if I had to compare the two. Just a touch more hop intensity.. Age could have had a factor in both. But I am glad I got to try them

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom