NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

@wallyhopp

Just got back from the local brewery. Decided to bust this open. Me and the wife splitting a can. Damn good stuff. Real smooth. I was drinking an Imperial Stout at the brewery, so this is a cake walk.
I'm enjoying it. Thanks.

-J-

^Nice. Glad to see you like that. I'm always hesitant sending more than one of something that some may be iffy about. I personally enjoy it too.. I do wish they had a intermediate beer from this one, in between their RIS.. A 8.8% sweeter variety of this would be killer.. They did do a cafe con leche beer. But that was almost too sweet. It's a tough balance for sure.
---------------

I like doing things in three. I had to get a full spectrum of IPAs tonight.. No reason in keeping a cache of IPAs

I'll repeat myself again. There is something so very unique about this beer. The hops bring out a sort of onion like lemony SPICINESS. I want to say its like how pepper hits your mouth with a bit of heat. That's how I feel these hops hit your mouth. This 4/5 batch may be that perfect IPA I have been dreaming about. It's hoppy, has a bite, but doesnt over do it. I'd rather buy one bomber of this, than a 6 pack of marble IPA.. and I'll do just that the next time. I have to speak with my $$$ here... It's going on 2 weeks old now, but if anyone wants to try it, hit me up. They should be having a new batch relatively soon.. I also have a BCS and BC barleywine, along with a BCBCS, that could be combined into some sort of deal.

Last edited:
@wallyhopp

Just got back from the local brewery. Decided to bust this open. Me and the wife splitting a can. Damn good stuff. Real smooth. I was drinking an Imperial Stout at the brewery, so this is a cake walk.
I'm enjoying it. Thanks.

-J-

Still have a can in the fridge from WallyHopp. Will probably crack it open very soon.

There's no way Wally doesn't work for La Cumbre :lol:

Had Alpine Nelson the other day. Still one of my favorites. Just wish they'd be more widely available in bottles

IMG201404121250461397802159.jpg

Last edited:
^^
That Choc/Pretzel/Raspberry is my wife's favorite bottled beer. I have one in my fridge ready for tonight as a matter of fact.
Far and away the best Rogue Voodoo beer.

-J-

^^
That Choc/Pretzel/Raspberry is my wife's favorite bottled beer. I have one in my fridge ready for tonight as a matter of fact.
Far and away the best Rogue Voodoo beer.

-J-

Yeah I've been wanting to try it but it just started getting to the Philly area

The bacon maple sucked and the other was just okay; I hear this one is much better

My folks were heading up to a discount warehouse packy in Mass. and asked if I wanted anything for when I got home for Easter. Just told Pops to grab a few random IPAs. He snagged these, can't complain...

Had some Hop Stoopid on tap for lunch today at a local bar and grill. I've only had in the bomber variety so I was pleasantly surprised to see it on draft. Could barely notice the 8% ABV. Much needed after a long week at work.

Marble IPA review pt 2...
It's Friday. Finishing off the sixer before it goes bad.lol Great excuse for IPA drinkers huh...

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/16963/43181/
This beer has been getting blasted on reviews lately. I think it started at a 91 before distribution began in Colorado a couple years back. Total reviews have definitely increased.. I say the 90 rating is about right for the beer. It's top tier stuff for the state of NM. It can be a bit one dimensional though. Maybe I served the two cans too fast last night. But today, serving one into a standard pint yielded much better carbonation and mouthfeel.. I got a greater sense of some piney and citrus hops. Possibly a hint of tropical fruits. But from there, its a standard mouthfeel. It drinks to its 6.8%.

Elevated thrives with its layers. You get some mango, a blast of hops, then some dryness. There is a bit of complexity with Elevated. Here it's a standard slightly caramel malt mouthfeel and some piney hops.. It's nice to change it up sometimes. But I tend to then crave elevated. So it doesnt really work out. I just end up drinking both sets. It's less bitter than elevated, so some feel its more drinkable. I tend to think the heavier taste of Marble IPA makes it a touch heavier. It's definitely top notch stuff. Just not sure I would want to trade it at this point.. Maybe as an extra.

Even then, every year the state of NM has an IPA challenge where breweries statewide brew up specialty IPAs (or their flagship (their choice)). Elevated has come close but I don't believe they have won. I have tried some of the winners and they are true hop bombs. Maybe it's a preference of the voters and buying public in the state. I wonder how Sculpin and Blind Pig would fare here.. People definitely have their favorites. If you love that happy camper santa fe stuff, buy it up. I probably see more people buying this Rio Grande IPA than anything else though. It's a bit strange.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/3239/47614/
----------------
This weekend looking ahead

I was convinced to hold back on the parabola '14. So instead, I may crack open an Abyss '12, along side a Marble BBA 2012. I like keeping things linear. So the only two '12s should be had at the same time, at some point.

Friday beer ramble complete... I'll post up some BBA stout reviews for Easter Sunday. That should be an eventful dinner lol

Does anyone have relative easy access to Allagash White? I would love a sixer in exchange for something I can provide locally (i dont have much trade wise from others.. I do have a few).

^to the above. Maybe he had bad experience with a growler pour. I have seen some beers pour foamy as heck. I then wonder if they even made it home still carbonated.. I have tried growlering home brew, and it just never works out too well. I cant afford to waste 20 ounces of beer foam as I try to fill a 32 oz. growler. 95% of my experiences have been great. Growlers are a huge money saver. Most places know how to pour them and seal them.. Here they use electrical tape to seal them shut.. That may be more in lines with closed bottle liqour laws than anything else. . But it does seem to seal in the carbonation for 3-5 more days than a non sealed growler

Last edited:
Growlers just seem to be flat right away and the flavor just isn't as good. If I get a growler filled up I always strap it in a seat belt to keep it from rolling around in the car. I know that the quality isn't gonna be as good as a freshly poured beer but at that point I would just prefer a beer out of a bottle/can. Plus I feel like I can drink a full growler without getting a buzz and it normally doesn't take much for me.

Allagash White. That is an awesome beer. FYI, sold in a four pack.
Ever had Allagash Curieux? One of my favorites.
So weird that we get it in CA but you don't get it in NM.

About the growler thing, it all depends on how long you are waiting to drink it. Screw top? Don't wait more than a day. 2 might be pushing it.
Gasket top? I've had beer just as fresh a week later.

Last edited:

Got some of this tonight for my private stash tomorrow. Resisting all urges to bust it open right now though.

How's the habanero sculpin? I've wanted to try it if it makes it's way east. My local brewery does a mango habanero IPA which is a struggle to drink cause it's just fire rolling down the throat

Back
Top Bottom