NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

My cities beer week is kicking off tonight with some events. It's about that same time I take a small break from the action. However we know some folks participating in an event tonight so we will be there for awhile.. 5 samples (from five "beer geek groups" that were brewed with the help of a local brewery) plus a pint of our favorite for $7.. For that price, it can't hurt to try.

In a day I'll be out west in Phoenix AZ area.. Anyone live or been out there? I'll make it a point to check out AZ wilderness brewing in Chandler and possibly Four Peaks. I'll probably head to a TW and stock up on some cali beers not available to me. Victory, Alesmith, Avery, Ballast Point, FW, are all on my mind at the moment.. Can someone check out TW.com (chandler, or any area PHX location) and throw some recommendations my way... The last thing I want to do is walk out of there with 4 cases of beer. I need to be smart this time around. My state is so short on distrubtion variety, I'm even excited about standard Bell's and Founder's offering.. Founders porter, or two hearted ale? I need to pinpoint a solid list of 5-6 six packs to seek out before overwhelming my crew with a crap of beer no one expected

Last edited:
finally tracked this stuff down for Memorial Weekend

Do you like it?

I've tried it before and it was pretty good. Tasted like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. It's a nice break from when I want something other than Hell or High. 

Hell or High is a masterpiece (flame suit activated) when it comes to a good BBQ beer. 

Do you like it?

I've tried it before and it was pretty good. Tasted like a watermelon Jolly Rancher. It's a nice break from when I want something other than Hell or High. 

Hell or High is a masterpiece (flame suit activated) when it comes to a good BBQ beer. 

It's def kind of novelty like but it def has a distinct watermelon flavor in it and I enjoyed it

I think my fav watermelon beer is Roy Pitz Watermelon lager

Do you like it?

+1 for Hell or High

Sessionable as hell too and super refreshing.

Last edited:
Stopped by Total at lunch to see if they had any of the Jai Alai White Oak. Picked up 8 and some other goodies. 

As a fan of Jai Alai, I'm hoping to score some White Oak some day.

My local spot just got in some fresh Modern Times beers. First time seeing it in my area honestly. Picked up a 4-pack of Blazing World and a can of Fortunate Islands. For you Socal heads, how is this stuff?

Last edited:

Taking down a few of these tonight. Solid DIPA, but a bit pricey for a 4-pack. As for regional stuff, I prefer Two Roads' DIPA to this. The Victory had too fruity of an aftertaste for me.

Have three Natty Light kegs ordered for a BBQ on Saturday, going to be a shock after drinking IPAs/DIPAs all winter... :lol:

Solid showing at a beer week event at a local brewery. I was smiling at the showing of those that came to sample 5 "beer geek" brews (among your favorite, you could receive a full pint for $7). Line was quite long. I can't say they were exactly "worth it". But I was lucky enough to not have to wait too long. so what can you do...The price didn't hurt. Among the five, we had a stout, a rye IPA, a hoppy red ale, a blood orange pale ale, and a nelson sauvin lightish IPA. None were drain pours so I was happy there. For me, the hoppy red had the best and brightest hoppy smell. At the end of the night, voting (your choice of pint glass) dictated that the stout had won. it was a 8% beer but not exactly velvety smooth or truly burly.. it was kind of just there imho.... I was drawn more towards the main breweries milk stout.. It's essentially Left Hand Milk Stout or Skaa steel toe stout but truly at a local level. A lighter stout base and some massive lactose sugars... Nothing against this place. It was truly booming with business. But none of their beers have ever really wowed me. The atmosphere is completely solid and I had a great time. I can see why every home brewer in time feels they can fill a void in the market. If a place like this can succeed, anyone can.

My local spot just got in some fresh Modern Times beers. First time seeing it in my area honestly. Picked up a 4-pack of Blazing World and a can of Fortunate Islands. For you Socal heads, how is this stuff?

Modern times is amazing! Blazing world is one of my favorite go to beers. Black house is amazing as well

Alls I know for sure is that the next person that orders an Angry Orchard in front of me is gettin' ***** slapped. :smh:

All them apple cider beers taste like champagne. I can't drink them even with a shot of that fire ball **** in them.  

Modern times is amazing! Blazing world is one of my favorite go to beers. Black house is amazing as well

I will totally agree. If you are a saison fan, Lomaland is a decent saison. Not the best, but definitely a good brew.
Overall, Modern Times brews are solid brews.

-J-

my buddy and his wife are heading on a roadtrip for a wedding in Indy

I am begging them to get me a couple cases of Three Floyds

I NEEEEEEED Gumballhead I can't get it anywhere in PA

Last edited:
my buddy and his wife are heading on a roadtrip for a wedding in Indy

I am begging them to get me a couple cases of Three Floyds

I NEEEEEEED Gumballhead I can't get it anywhere in PA
Gumball head is sooo good! All the local joints never have it & when they do, it's gone immediately. I've only ever found 1 six pack years ago. And anytime I stop in, I "just missed it". 

I will totally agree. If you are a saison fan, Lomaland is a decent saison. Not the best, but definitely a good brew.
Overall, Modern Times brews are solid brews.

-J-

Unfortunately, they didn't have Black House. These were the only two available. Thanks for the input! Looking forward to cracking these open over the holiday weekend.

Good looks on that list. Love the love that Bell's Two Hearted got and being called "the best IPA in the country". 

Blazing World is awesome. You Socal'ers should come down to SD and visit the brewery. Well worth it.

Is this guy just listing or actually ranking? Cause that ranking is terrible.

Where y'all copping your glasses?

Cop from brewery or steal it from your local beer bar. The Duvel tulip that gets a lot of mileage came in a gift pack.

Where y'all copping your glasses?

The bar into my girlfriend's purse :lol:

Or at a brewery itself; I won't steal a brewery's glasses but I'll steal a brewery glass from a regular bar because I know they get them for free

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom