NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Out west in Phoenix. Took advantage of some regulars not available to me.

Good choices? Bad choices? I was wayyyy overwhelmed. Didn't even go with Az beers.

Last edited:
Out west in Phoenix. Took advantage of some regulars not available to me.

Good choices? Bad choices? I was wayyyy overwhelmed. Didn't even go with Az beers.

The Oberon and Two Hearted were worth it alone. Bells makes some damn good beers. Let us know what you think of the Two Hearted when you get a chance. It's my personal favorite

Oberon 4/27 is solid man. Very light in flavor. 5.8% though? Wheat ale with spicy hops. I feel it and like it. Session for yearsssssss.

Two hearted ale has a nice hop bite. Reminds me of a local Ipa but more crisp and light. Damn tasty. Another session beast. 4/17 date. 7%? Omg.

Long day ahead

Edit:
Victory dirtwolf. Kind of like a sculpin or any other top notch citrus pine like dipa. Superb stuff. Loving this phx weather and beer sexton. Az wilderness up next tomorrow.

Last edited:
Oberon is one of my fav summer ales

They started making it in cans this year

Last edited:
just picked this up; heard it's very good

similar to Dogfish Head Festina Peche but with less fruit taste

Enjoyed an Anchor IPA while out and about in SF today. Nice caramel malts but a little boozy in the backend. Overall a decent IPA.

Also met up with a fellow BA member to pick this up. All in all a very good day :D

Finally tracked it down. Local wegmans started carrying it, didn't think I would be able to find it locally (PA). It gets nothing but rave reviews in here. I hope I'm in for a treat later tonight

Finally tracked it down. Local wegmans started carrying it, didn't think I would be able to find it locally (PA). It gets nothing but rave reviews in here. I hope I'm in for a treat later tonight
Don't get your hopes up... It's Meh... Like a 40 degree day. 

Last edited:
I think you'll like Jai Alai. Has a nice juicy and creamy taste to it. Wish I can get them here in Cali.

they usually have it at Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting too

Word?? Gonna have to check my local out. Last time I checked the one near me (north wales/Montgomeryville) they didn't sell beer period. Wonder if that had changed recently because of the new bill that I believe got passed.
Have you tried Jai Alai before?

Word?? Gonna have to check my local out. Last time I checked the one near me (north wales/Montgomeryville) they didn't sell beer period. Wonder if that had changed recently because of the new bill that I believe got passed.
Have you tried Jai Alai before?

Plymouth Meeting has a pub which is how they've been able to sell beer; like Wegman's. It opened in 2009; they also have a taco truck on the roof which is pretty sweet and they have drafts up there, def. worth checking out.

I have had it once and I liked it from what I can remember.

Short trip to Phoenix was a success.. Kind of went OD but what can you do when distribution sucks in your home state.

To add what was purchased Saturday, I went back to another TW and just grab bagged a couple of dozen more

We didnt make it to four peaks, nor wanted to spend $5 on a pint anywhere. So theyll get their fair shot in a sampling. I grabed some SanTan IPA and Hefe, and a Prescott AZ amber, along with a lake havasu beer, grand canyon pislner, and a camelback IPA.

We also made it to AZ Wilderness brewing. The place has a ton of hype. I ended up sampling their only 5 beers on tap.. Completely solid and above the norm, which is great for someone this new. Mind blowing? Not really.
-They had a unmalted saison that had a real unique flavor. Top notch
-Refuge IPA is the one we ended up taking a growler home with. It reminds me of a local, Marble IPA. At 75 IBU, it tastes 100-150. Quite malty, and piney. Above par for sure
- Pale Ale was probably my favorite. Nice fruity hop smell, lighter in taste all around. Again, nothing mindblowing but good non the less
-Nitro coffee stout... If you like black coffee or espresso, this is your beer. Not even close to a traditional coffee smell or flavor. This has some dark roasted coffee flavor
-Berliner Weiss, was a funky sour "beer'. I liked the tartness but then it had a vomit like taste. That seemed to be returned 99% of the time on the sample trays that I saw.. We drove that far. I didnt waste but a single drop.

They seem to be rotate in and out 4-5 beers at a time, so I may have caught them on a down cycle.. They can only go up from there imho. They are already above 75% of what I typically sample. So thats good for them? Worth the time or the hype? Not for a $14 growler fill price.

Other beers getting their first shot from me

Some are super fresh. Some are expired :smh:. I dont think I know any ratebeer or BA scores on most of these. So theyll get a open shot at wowing.

btw, Saturday night, I had a FW Pale 31.. It seemed more like a IPA with its hop bite. Maybe that was the 4 prior beers skewing my perspective. Solid stuff though. I havent had a bad FW beer just yet.
-----
The biggest surprise was probably Mother Road brewing in Flagstaff. Tucked away near downtown, a old beatup factory turned brewery had about 10 beers on tap. I went with their english style summer ale and was super impressed. It seemed more like a well crafted light pilsener. It puts Sam Adams summer ale to shame. I also went with their Black IPA. Perfect balance. Just because its an IPA doesnt mean it has to be crazy bitter. It wasnt too chocolately or roasted. Balanced for sure. I sampled their english brown and caught some great hints of flavor too.

Overall I may regret not getting more sculpin or dirt wolf. So this grab bag variety set is questionable for sure lol.

forgot to mention. Went by a Yardhouse (100+ beers on tap etc..) The list was a bit of a letdown. I went with a Sculpin. Slightly better on draft, but probably not worth the upcharge price. I also went with a Weihenstephaner Hefe. Damn thats really good stuff. Sadly it was served in a normal pint glass, and they offered me a lemon or orange wedge :x. We wont ever be going back there.

Last edited:
I had FW Pale 31 on Saturday for the first time also. I enjoyed it. A bit more of a hop bite than a Sierra Nevada. And you are right. FW has not had a miss in my book at all.

I passed on some mikeller, ale smith speedway stout Ipa and two bruery bombers. Stone irs was $5.99 there. Probably the best deal I have seen for any beers. I couldn't justify too many bombers sadly.

Funny situation there. I hadn't seen any local Santa Fe pilsner in town since may 1st. Yet it's everywhere in AZ. that's how bad or sad the distribution issue is in my state.

Finishing off some refuge Ipa AZ wilderness beer.

I'm catching some mango or fruit sweetness as it warms up. IMHO a ba 90-94 type ipa

StillIn729, not yet. Very soon I hope. I think As a group well do all az beers then the other guys. I may go solo on a couple. Question about hop devil. Hasn't that been retired or changed to dirt wolf for awhile? These places still had hop devil.

Last edited:
Short review on Jai Ali:

-Awesome aroma. Fresh hops with a little bit of fruitiness to it

-Very pronounced hop presence but not overly bitter

-Its missing that "bite" I like which can be found on the 60/90 min DFH

-Creaminess makes it very drinkable

Overall, half of my first can in, its very good. Nice fruit back end. Super refreshing. 

Wally, let me know what your thoughts are on the Maharaja by Avery. I had it a few months back and thought it was a solid DIPA. Nice caramel and toffee finish.

Back
Top Bottom