NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

-------------

Homebrew news... All ingredients bought for our two 10 gallon batches. Brewing begins this weekend.
--------
5% centennial blonde ale

Mainly two row malt, some cara pils, vienna, and crystal 10L. Cascade hops will be added at various times of the boil as well as centennial hops. 1272 American Ale II yeast.. IBUs hopefully in the 20-30 range. Color may be a touch darker than blonde, but the flavors should be right up there with the style
------------------
~7% IPA

90% two row, and a touch of vienna malt for some color... Columbus and Cascade dominate the bitterness portion. The last 5 minutes of the boil we will add in Nelson Sauvin, Chinook, Simcoe, and Sorachi Ace.. The last 4 will also be used in a 4 day dry hopping, 7 days after initial fermentation begins.. 1332 NorthWest Ale yeast being used here.. IBUs hopefully around 60-70.

Wish us luck

Hey Wally, when/if you have some time, post pics of your setup (especially for 10 gal batches). Wouldn't mind getting a look.
And that blonde sounds great especially with Cascade and Centennial.

-------------

Homebrew news... All ingredients bought for our two 10 gallon batches. Brewing begins this weekend.
--------
5% centennial blonde ale

Mainly two row malt, some cara pils, vienna, and crystal 10L. Cascade hops will be added at various times of the boil as well as centennial hops. 1272 American Ale II yeast.. IBUs hopefully in the 20-30 range. Color may be a touch darker than blonde, but the flavors should be right up there with the style
------------------
~7% IPA

90% two row, and a touch of vienna malt for some color... Columbus and Cascade dominate the bitterness portion. The last 5 minutes of the boil we will add in Nelson Sauvin, Chinook, Simcoe, and Sorachi Ace.. The last 4 will also be used in a 4 day dry hopping, 7 days after initial fermentation begins.. 1332 NorthWest Ale yeast being used here.. IBUs hopefully around 60-70.

Wish us luck

Hey Wally, when/if you have some time, post pics of your setup (especially for 10 gal batches). Wouldn't mind getting a look.
And that blonde sounds great especially with Cascade and Centennial.

Will do this weekend as we progress through the day.. If you want to get started searching early, key phrase: old 1/2 barrel kegs. Luckily we know someone who was able to torch the top of one keg completely (think of a keg without the handles present (more along the lines of 13 gallon capacity), and another keg had the top where the sanke top is removed, so there is a solid 16 inch+ diameter to get your hands in there. One had a spout welded onto the bottom so we can drain from the bottom.

Very very similar to this
http://hoppybrewing.com/2008/03/10/...anke-12-bbl-15-gallon-keg-into-a-boil-kettle/

The key for a 10 gallon batch is a near 13.5-14 gallon boil volume, so you/ we are pushing it with a 15.5 gallon capacity. Using a turkey fryer, boiling that much volume is no problem. Keep a consistent rolling boil is the main problem. Working in a a garage or outside is key with these volume sizes for sure.. Boil overs can and have happened. There's a bottled substance called fermcap that seems to help with boil overs and foamage. We've done lower heat boils for a good hour until we can get a steady rolling boil just because our volume is nearly 100%. Just adjust your hop times to account for that.

Quick review before the start of the game.

Cracked this open about 30 minutes ago. After seeing the review I posted before, I started kicking myself for not giving this a shot earlier.  This beer pours just like a Guinness, but once you get a whiff of it you get BIG surprises.  This thing is a tropical bomb.  Pineapple, peach, papaya, mango, orange, etc.  Also has a grassy characteristic that's really similar to Sucks.  The roasted quality is there, but it's tucked far into the background which allows for the IPA characteristics to shine through.  Taste follows suit.  The review I posted above kind of understates the roasted quality of this beer, but it's still somewhat accurate.  It's there, but it takes a backseat and allows the hops to shine through.  8.2% alcohol?  This beer has me fooled.  No booziness whatsoever. This beer is definitely worth checking out, and I'll probably be going out to buy another bottle tomorrow. I can confidently say that this is the best black IPA I've ever had.  Ya dun good, Lagunitas. 9.6/10

Catching the game at a local brewery. It's their recursion ipa with fresh bitter grapefruit juice called The grey hound. It's freakin delicious.

Cracked this open about 30 minutes ago. After seeing the review I posted before, I started kicking myself for not giving this a shot earlier.  This beer pours just like a Guinness, but once you get a whiff of it you get BIG surprises.  This thing is a tropical bomb.  Pineapple, peach, papaya, mango, orange, etc.  Also has a grassy characteristic that's really similar to Sucks.  The roasted quality is there, but it's tucked far into the background which allows for the IPA characteristics to shine through.  Taste follows suit.  The review I posted above kind of understates the roasted quality of this beer, but it's still somewhat accurate.  It's there, but it takes a backseat and allows the hops to shine through.  8.2% alcohol?  This beer has me fooled.  No booziness whatsoever. This beer is definitely worth checking out, and I'll probably be going out to buy another bottle tomorrow. I can confidently say that this is the best black IPA I've ever had.  Ya dun good, Lagunitas. 9.6/10

Said it before, I'll say it again: Lagunitas is GOAT. Their consistency and affordability is insane.

Need to try this Night Time. Hard to picture a tropical IPA with roasty malts.

DFH is still king to me. I have yet to try a bad beer from them. In fact, anything they make that I see at the bottle shop and haven't tried yet, I pick up 9 times outta 10

Anyone on NT drink Lagunitas? I'm sure the local Nor Cal folks can relate, but I wonder how national their marketing is. Brewed in my hometown
smokin.gif
I'm just two states away but it seems like at least three of their beers are regulars on the shelves at literally every grocery store in my city. They have quite the stronghold.. Unfortunately I think I have only ever purchased their Lagunitas Sucks. Hop stoopid seems to sit for months around my way. From what I've seen their normal IPA seems to be rather fresh. They've done good for themselves it seems. If I'm ever in a squeeze for some IPA, I know every place in town would have some.

Tonight, Avery gets its due. Brown, Mahijara, and one other..
If you can get Hop Stoopid fresh, do yourself a favor and give it a shot.  I think it's really similar to Pliny, and for $5/bomber it's one of the better deals in town.

I actually went out and purchased Nighttime today after watching this review over the weekend. Haven't seen him this stoked on a beer in awhile:

I might catch some flack for this but I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS DUDE. Maybe its his voice or his bad hair line but he just make me have a stink face for no reason.

Anyone on NT drink Lagunitas? I'm sure the local Nor Cal folks can relate, but I wonder how national their marketing is. Brewed in my hometown
smokin.gif
I'm just two states away but it seems like at least three of their beers are regulars on the shelves at literally every grocery store in my city. They have quite the stronghold.. Unfortunately I think I have only ever purchased their Lagunitas Sucks. Hop stoopid seems to sit for months around my way. From what I've seen their normal IPA seems to be rather fresh. They've done good for themselves it seems. If I'm ever in a squeeze for some IPA, I know every place in town would have some.

Tonight, Avery gets its due. Brown, Mahijara, and one other..
If you can get Hop Stoopid fresh, do yourself a favor and give it a shot.  I think it's really similar to Pliny, and for $5/bomber it's one of the better deals in town.

I actually went out and purchased Nighttime today after watching this review over the weekend. Haven't seen him this stoked on a beer in awhile:
I might catch some flack for this but I ABSOLUTELY HATE THIS DUDE. Maybe its his voice or his bad hair line but he just make me have a stink face for no reason.
Nah...I'm with you on his overall persona.  He's definitely pulling a lot of the aromas and tastes out of his ***.  Like...you took one sniff/taste and you already have this pinned down? Word? His taste, however, seems to be in line with mine.  I tend to trust his opinion.

Oh..I have a NT Beer Thread confession:  I need to formally apologize to @da shoefreak  and @JBug88  .  I just traded off one of shoefreak's Black Tuesdays and JBugg's 2014 Sucaba for 4 bottles of Prairie Bomb!, a Bible Belt, and a Mexican Cake.

Last edited:
My dude Rust came out of the woodwork just to spew hate :lol:

I agree though. Dude's voice irks me. And the way he shakes his head to the side before taking a sip. He also has a really punchable face.

So yea :lol:

smokin.gif

Like I've said before, Lagunitas is def appreciated :smokin. Their IPA was my gateway IPA.

Had this on tap for lunch with a coworker about a month ago. I'm not into black IPA's but this was pretty damn tasty. Probably not the best beer to have for lunch considering its 8.2 ABV but what the heck, it was a Friday :lol:.

Speaking of Hop Stoopid, had a bottle over the weekend. Bottled date was 152 4 (early May). Not the freshest and I kinda tasted it. Hop aroma and bitterness diminished quite a bit. Still an awesome beer though. I find Hop Stoopid a tad sweeter than Pliny but I can def see the similarities.

Also had some Duchesse De Bourgogne. This was recommended to me by a fellow NT'er and man it did not disappoint. Had a nice balance of tartness and sweetness that I really liked. A lot different than the Blackberry Reserve I had a few weeks back, which was too sour for me. This is a sour I can def get down with! If there are others out there similar to this, let a brotha know!

Oh..I have a NT Beer Thread confession:  I need to formally apologize to @da shoefreak
 and @JBug88
 .  I just traded off one of shoefreak's Black Tuesdays and JBugg's 2014 Sucaba for 4 bottles of Prairie Bomb!, a Bible Belt, and a Mexican Cake.

Man I am not mad at you at all. That's a killer haul. And it just so happens that I went to my local bottle shop on friday (picked up a Lost Abbey Track #8). And they just so happened to have a few bottles of 2014 Sucaba sitting their on the shelves. I'm just sayin. You need another bottle, let me know. That same bottle shop had Prairie Bomb and it sold out within minutes.

It's looking like I'm gonna be loaded up with bottles of Bomb! pretty soon.  I put up a FT:ISO post on BeerAdvocate and my inbox blew up so fast hahaha.  I should have at least 10 bottles by next week.

Making the trip to a new liquor store today. Hopefully they have a good selection, I wanna try new things.

Is Stone Enjoy By available everywhere or only West coast?

Also, do they make four/six packs of Stone Arrogant? I've seen the oak edition but not the regular

Making the trip to a new liquor store today. Hopefully they have a good selection, I wanna try new things.

Is Stone Enjoy By available everywhere or only West coast?

Also, do they make four/six packs of Stone Arrogant? I've seen the oak edition but not the regular

As far as Enjoy By, Stone is in 42 states, so pretty much everywhere.
And I've only seen regular Arrogant in bombers.
And I just checked the website:
AVAILABILITY:
22oz Bottles, 3 litre bottles & Draft

As far as Enjoy By, Stone is in 42 states, so pretty much everywhere.
And I've only seen regular Arrogant in bombers.
And I just checked the website:
AVAILABILITY:
22oz Bottles, 3 litre bottles & Draft
Repped.

Hopefully this new spot has it. I only ever see the straight Stone IPA

This batch of Enjoy By should be readily available almost everywhere. I saw it at my local Safeway which caught me by surprise.

This batch of Enjoy By should be readily available almost everywhere. I saw it at my local Safeway which caught me by surprise.
Yup this is probably the biggest batch they've made. My local bevmo has a ton of cases and it's about the 3rd shipment of it they have received.

Back
Top Bottom