NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

My local store just got a few cases of the Prairie Bomb. I've only had it once before and it was quite impressive.

Drinking a lemon-lime hefeweizen I made a few weeks ago. Been carbing in bottles for a week - taste testing. Already delicious. Perfect for a hot day.

Yeah, that's a winner. Also just brewed a pseudoSue clone - can't wait to try that in about a month.

Given that I can find this beer pretty regularly now, I see no reason to go crazy looking for Heady Topper. This is honestly right up there:

^what's in that lemon line hefe?

My Family Reunion is coming up in a months time. For the past three years we home brewed as much as 30 gallons of beer for the weekend of the festivities.. Any recommendations on easy transition styles? We did a cream ale and red ale last year.. I'm thinking a 5.4% 20 IBU blonde ale, a project dank like 7% nelson sauvin IPA, and maybe a fat tire amber clone. What types of beers tend to be a hit?? Brewing with honey and wheat is tougher. We did a honey wheat in 2011 that we may want to maybe revisit.. Honey is damn expensive though. I'm looking for fresh ideas

btw, that elevated ipa, dirt wolf, oberon, two hearted, and sculpin tasting was something else. I didnt remember much past 10 pm lol. Oberon seemed to be a hit. But I suspect the crowd I was around weren't too into the IPAs.. Dirt Wolf seemed to be the least favorite.. I like the fight between sculpin and elevated. Another friend who loves la cumbre beers liked what Sculpin had to offer. For me though, two hearted's drinkability is quite amazing. It's balanced in such a great way.. Oberon had the least hop flavors so for many, that stood out in a better way for them. It's a 86 BA scored beer. But It seems to bridge a nice gap between non craft drinkers and craft drinkers.

Last edited:
Weekly beer run. Had to go with my favorite. I generally don't get it often since I like getting something new every time but after all the Two hearted talk this past week, I had to

^Yes Sir! Think I might go do the same before this hockey game gets going.

Stopped into one of my favorite Orlando bars last night and they had it on tap for the first time. :pimp:

Lazy Sunday for sure.

Back to what used to be a weekly routine. La Cumbre and marble in Abq, nm. I hadn't been to LC in over a month and marble in over two months. Definitely made up for it.

New release. A gringo from Bombay. White Ipa. 65 ibu and 6%. Indian coriander and orange peel mixed with some truly fruity dank like hops. Really really liked this one.

Revisiting a "classic" style. With temps in the 90s, I had to go lighter. Classic pilsner. 4 something %. Toasted malt flavor lightly splattered among the base malt. Very we'll executed. Kind of dry finish.

My dad had a cologne kolsch beer. That was the winner of the day. I took home a elevated Ipa growler and four pack.

A couple hours later we head to Marble

Double white. Belgian white beer. Very easy to drink 7% beer. Ladies love it. And so do I.

I had to get an Ipa in me before days end. Double Ipa. 8% beer. Something changed in this recipe. I taste less floral notes and more citrus and tropical fruit. It seems like it wants to mirror elevated Ipa. I love the change

7 out of every 10 people seemed to be ordering up a pilsner. I had to revisit as well.
4.7%. I tasted less hops and floral notes compared to the can. Another classic style.

I had to renew my marble membership. They offered two bombers to go with the yearly member price. I had to go with two bottles of barley wine aged in bourbon barrels. The other option was a tripel brewed with Brett yeast. So I'm guessing a bit tangy for sure. Bottles are going on two months old. I will try to age both and try them shortly

Cheers fellas.

^what's in that lemon line hefe?

My Family Reunion is coming up in a months time. For the past three years we home brewed as much as 30 gallons of beer for the weekend of the festivities.. Any recommendations on easy transition styles? We did a cream ale and red ale last year.. I'm thinking a 5.4% 20 IBU blonde ale, a project dank like 7% nelson sauvin IPA, and maybe a fat tire amber clone. What types of beers tend to be a hit?? Brewing with honey and wheat is tougher. We did a honey wheat in 2011 that we may want to maybe revisit.. Honey is damn expensive though. I'm looking for fresh ideas

Wheat, vienna, and pilsner malt, motueka and sorachi ace hops, lemon and lime zest, and WLP380 yeast. I do partial mash, so also some wheat DME. I can send more info if you'd like.

Anything easy drinking and not too heavy on the booze is a good transition beer to me. My fastest going beers have been the lemon-lime hefe, an amber rye, an American blonde, and a rye IPA. I had an English brown that went pretty quickly as well. I try not to do anything crazy for transition beers - just keep it simple in my opinion.

I think a blonde ale for New Mexico in July would be nice. Something about 5% and people will be drinking that all day and not be slopped.
My own personal opinion, but a Fat Tire type amber might just be a little too heavy for summer.

-J-

Been laying low on the beer consumption lately (trying at least :lol:). Had these two over the weekend. Had HT for the first time about a month ago and drank it from the can as instructed. This time around, I wanted to try it in a glass to compare. Was told it was canned on 5/20 so a few weeks old. Appearance was cloudy and hazy. Aroma, i felt was better from the glass. Got tons of tropical fruit notes; mangos, pineapples, citrus. Amazing. Taste just like it smelled. Slightly bitter than i remembered it to be but very well balanced nonetheless. Definitely deserving of being named one of the top DIPA's imo.

Pliny was bottled 5/22. Smooth, balanced and always a treat.

I know taste is subjective, but I gotta be honest. I enjoyed Pliny more than Heady Topper. To me, it's a more balanced beer. I get more more maltiness in Pliny. I'm happy I tried it, but I don't think I'd seek it out again when I can get Pliny fairly easily.

All good man. Both are excellent beers. The creaminess of HT is what does it for me. With that said, I don't think I'll be seeking out HT anytime soon in the near future though. Not worth the hassle. I lucked out on the Heady this time around with a BA member who happened to be visiting SF and was looking for beers I had on hand.

Definitely agree about seeking or not seeking stuff out. I feel thankful for those that made those trades. At the moment, nothing really sticks out with me as MUST haves. I guess I'm lucky elevated IPA is around for me. Otherwise, it would be a trade a week for some decent IPAs. I think one of you may still have a bottle being saved that I would still like to try. So get at me......

Oberon is a weird one for me. It's Bell's so it may have some allure to those emerging/new markets. It's a wheat beer but a bit lighter than most wheat beers. Yet has that hoppiness of a near pale ale.. If some family members like it, I know its usually pretty different than my tastes.. I guess thats a snobby thing to say.

Homebrew:... We narrowed it down to 3. Classic Blonde ale.. AIming for 5.0%, might end up 5.4% which is fine. We have like 8 lbs of Cascade hops. We may go all out with a single hopped 7% IPA.. And then we will go with a 6% cream ale... I realize that its almost too hot out there right now to even enjoy a beer. So we have to keep things light.. 6% may be a bit too high so we shall see.

I've been so busy that I missed out on the one of the latest Project Danks. I think I had had at least one of each batches... I was at their place Sunday and they had sold out of a 5/19 batch weeks prior to Sunday. I found some today at some obscure shop. The bottled on labels arent on the top so I hope its one of the later ones. I check with the bewery today, and they have ANOTHER batch ready. This one sounds crazy.. Marris Otter malt (some say some of the most expensive base malt to use) with 100% imported hops.. It could possibly be the juiciest fruitest most aromatic dank yet.. I guess I'll get down with these bombers tonight, and get the new stuff tomorrow. The beer is blowing up on untappd. I got burnt out too quick on that place. It becomes a chore logging stuff in...

Review on project dank coming up..

btw, I saw some hop stoopid.. Sept 30th bottled date. So sad to see.. That place also didnt have any new seasonal SF pilsener that I saw first in Phoenix, not a town 40 minutes south of SF... Typical distribution issues

Just had my first Oberon Ale.

I am...not impressed. Talk about lackluster.

I ended up liking it by the end of the 6 pack. Had a nice refreshing 'bite' to it when it was ice cold. It was lackluster, but like a really good cheap mass produced beer, but its not. Not worth the price, I'll stick to yuengling for that.

Just had my first Oberon Ale.

I am...not impressed. Talk about lackluster.

I ended up liking it by the end of the 6 pack. Had a nice refreshing 'bite' to it when it was ice cold. It was lackluster, but like a really good cheap mass produced beer, but its not. Not worth the price, I'll stick to yuengling for that.

Yuengling was that go to beer I had last May in NY. Solid, cheap, and gets the job done (doesnt taste entirely too cheap or crappy, if that makes sense). In SW america terms, its like a NB fat tire, or shiner bock. Since having IPAs and stouts on my pallette for a couple years now, those guys even seem to taste watered down. 90% of craft beer that I try seems to taste slightly above average. Is that a sign of the good times or mediocre times?

I actually forget what Oberon 4 x 16oz. pack was price wise. It probably wasn't entirely worth it. But for me at some point, every beer gets it's due and this one was a surprise hit among all drinking styles.

Went without a dank for two or so weeks. Totally explosive all over my palette.

I couldn't tell you the bottle date. But this thing was so ripe with hoppiness and bitterness. My body wasn't ready yesterday.

They prepped me for today

New project dank on tap. All frickin smiles drinking this stuff. Ended up with two bombers. Should be sold out by weeks end.

Elevated Ipa dry hopped cask with calypso hops. Heavenly stuff. Flat of course but the flavor is immense.

Had a elevated Ipa normal on tap as well. I gotta say that's the winner. Crisp carbonated dry bite. I love it.

Walked with a growler of a bi partisan pilsner. Yummy stuff on a hot day

Btw that pilsner is their Gabf gold medal winning beer named "beer" that comes and goes every once in awhile. I'm la cumbre overloaded right now. Sorry other local breweries, step it the hell up. You're not getting my money for awhile.

Last edited:
2 hearted is amazing. i love living in Michigan(where Bells is located) can find their beer ANYWHERE

as for tonight. sippin on a few of these watching the LA/NY game. Go Kings! Cheers guys
[/URL]

Back
Top Bottom