NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Its good for keeping track of the beers you try but I usually post new beers I try in this thread so its kind of the same thing

Same.

Untappd is awesome for finding beers that are near you. Search for a beer and use the find it button or the notification button. It's helped me out numerous times.
jnance88 btw, if anyone wants to add me.

Interesting. I didn't know it had this feature.

Coworker visited and brought me some goodies :D

Had to crack one open immediately. Liking this thus far! Please ignore my cat in the background :lol:

Last edited:
I dabbled with the idea of getting a kegerator...but given the weekly can releases out my way and the fact that I already have too much beer to begin with, it was pretty easy to talk myself down from the ledge. 
laugh.gif

Stopped by sand city this afternoon, picked up two four packs each of Mofosaic and Southdown breakfast stout. Having the stout now and its great, very intense coffee aroma once I opened the can. Reminds me of founders breakfast stout.

I love mosaic hops and this one hits it on every note.

Last edited:
6.6% abv but full of flavor, smells like striaght papaya and grapefruit, tastes reminds of my by and by from other half / holy mountain, gonna have to go to Boston one of these days

@Comparisonford A trader pretty much just gave me a bottle of other half's first packaged beer from 2014 (I gave him one high west ified bottle in return), Its a stout aged in red wine barrels, he said he tried it two years ago and it was over carbonated (There looks like a lot of bubbles in this bottle still) , Im probably gonna open it today, there are not many reviews and some are bad, Im wondering if you tried it back then and what your thoughts were

Last edited:
6.6% abv but full of flavor, smells like striaght papaya and grapefruit, tastes reminds of my by and by from other half / holy mountain, gonna have to go to Boston one of these days

@Comparisonford A trader pretty much just gave me a bottle of other half's first packaged beer from 2014 (I gave him one high west ified bottle in return), Its a stout aged in red wine barrels, he said he tried it two years ago and it was over carbonated (There looks like a lot of bubbles in this bottle still) , Im probably gonna open it today, there are not many reviews and some are bad, Im wondering if you tried it back then and what your thoughts were
The OG Red Wine In Absentia Luci?  Unfortunately never had it.  Still waiting for an OH stout to "wow" me.  Passed on all of the Cane Life variants today.

I'll be the guinea pig for a couple of these brews I picked up today

Hopscape by Sam Adams
Frontwood by Founders (zero reviews on BA) cherry ale BBA with syrup I think
Side car pale ale by SN (I think someone may have mentioned it). I saw their tropical IPA sixers but only wanted a single.

Kegs are so worth it. But only from a money stand point. Most local breweries have 10% off kegs if you are a part of their mug club. So in theory you could get 15.5 gallons of beer for about $130, which basically makes it $1/pint. Considering restaurants and other places charge $5-7, it is a deal.. Now the smaller vessels, your 5 gallon kegs run around $60, which would make it about $1.50/pints. Compare that to your typical six pack, at say $9/sixer, that makes pint prices around $2/pint.. I don't do it very often. I can help out anyone if they are really serious.

Last edited:
Walked into local family grocery store today to pickup a panini and scored big time! Could've bought them out but two sixers are enough for me. Also picked up a 4-pack of MT Black House Nitro with coffee, coconut and cacao :smokin

Very carbonated, interesting to see how Other Half has gotten better with stouts, this one had a lot of dark fruit flavors that didnt mix very well with the red wine barrels, drank the whole bottle so it wasnt so bad but you can tell its their early work, comparing this to short dark and handsome/wired or smoke screens shows they are putting effort into improving their stouts

Not a bad german brew, especially at 3 bottles for $5

Last edited:
Some quick impressions on a couple new beer tries"

Founders Frootwood, cherry ale aged in maple syrup bouron barrels. It felt like a overly sweet 7up got mixed in with some oak wood chips. Very very odd stuff. Flavors did not blend well. BEWARE

DFH 60 minute. This just hit my area last month (the whole DFH lineup). This feels more like a pale ale. Just sorta there flavor wise. Nothing stands out. Sorta piney. Sorta floral. Malts a major focus (90 min even more). Approachable I guess you could say. Totally not worth the price they are trying to hawk these sixers for.

SA Hopscape. Lemon and grassy flavors sort of there. But like the majority of SA beers, this felt overly sweet.

SN Side Car Orange Pale Ale- Maybe the best of the bunch (3.75 range). Hop bite. yet well balanced. Orange totally in the background for me, which made it great.

And none that I'd probably buy again.

Last edited:
Walked into local family grocery store today to pickup a panini and scored big time! Could've bought them out but two sixers are enough for me. Also picked up a 4-pack of MT Black House Nitro with coffee, coconut and cacao :smokin

Can MT be found outside SD? Sounds amazing, need to find in chicago.

AB INBEV influence finally growing some legs

Elysian Space Dust IPA now overtaking many of my local retailer shelves. Only consolation would be if it happens to swap out GI IPA with spacedust. other than that, who needs another slightly above norm IPA that isnt local?

Competition just getting started in 2017

I may give it one try. Has anyone else had it? Reviews are what Im basing this off of

Last edited:
^ Good article. I'm just surprised it took two years for them to finally reach my area. Four peaks took less than 6 months after being bought out to reach a state over. I hear AB INBEV and think that they need to strike asap. I remember GI being bought out and very soon after, they were everywhere. Blue point still isnt here. Maybe they are being more methodical than I expected out of them.

With that article, all I can really say is , they tend to say “It is my job is to prove everyone wrong". But in reality, it is truly all about who OWNS you. Every $$ goes into the pockets of some guy in Brazil. There was something truly organic about watching your local brewery grow and become its own giant, backed by your own local dollars.

For better or worse, I can only think of maybe 4 "PNW" breweries in my home state, three are owned by big beer. Are they providing better beer for many others for a better price? I can't dispute that. But as a still young growing market, the flavor out of some smaller breweries triumph everything else.

Lastly, the tap handle fight is too real. We have some state owned restaurants/facilities that seem to be AB INBEV backed. They charge $6 for pints of that GI crap, yet the local movement is left out to dry? It's competitive, ugly, and AB INBEV has lobbyists trying to destroy "local" organic variety, and push a "national" plan that now includes breweries from WA, OR, CA, CO, VA, and NY.

I'm often left wondering if its better to be left out of the loop and just drink beer

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom