NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

hit up Wegman's and made a mix 6 for NFL Sunday :pimp:

Had FBS last night, aged this bottle a little bit and definitely worth it. Total crack

Really wanted to cut back after today (my 30th BDay)... But 4 packs of FBS for 8.79 down the street are making me think twice... Plus the new Founders glasses from my sisters need to be christened with a Founders brew.

Last edited:

Drinking this oaked pumpkin brew from unita. Never heard of this brewery but the label artwork caught my gfs eye. Really solid pumpkin beer.

I need some founders breakfast stout in my life after all this hype. Apparently they just started distributing Founders down here in Florida but I can't find the FBS for the life of me. What gives? Is it seasonal/ limited?

Drank some Founder's yesterday, think it was called Dirty Bastard, or something like that. Was a scotch ale. Tasty
If you liked that, you pretty much need to try Backwoods Bastard.  It's Dirty Bastard aged in bourbon barrels for a year.  You don't have to like bourbon to enjoy it.  Just an incredible beer (one of my all time favorites, honestly). The videos below are a testament to how good it is. This year's batch should be available by November.  Also heard a rumor that they're aging Backwoods Bastard in maple syrup barrels for this season's Backstage series beer.  If that's the case, forget about trying to get your hands on it.  I am buying all of them.

I need some founders breakfast stout in my life after all this hype. Apparently they just started distributing Founders down here in Florida but I can't find the FBS for the life of me. What gives? Is it seasonal/ limited?
It's seasonal, but luckily for you the latest batch just came out this month.  You'll probably be able to find it if you shop around a bit.

Last edited:
Finally decided to crack this one open.  Bottled April 2012.  Pours a golden yellow color with a faint, effervescent head that dissipates quickly. I find the nose a little off-putting on this beer.  Smells almost like champagne.  However, the taste doesn't match the nose. The tripel sweetness hits you at the front of the tongue, but once the beer gets to the middle of the mouth it's taken over by bourbon/vanilla/oak flavors.  Has a satisfying alcohol warmth at the end.  Undecided as to whether or not I'd buy this again.  It's not bad, but I'm just not a fan of Belgians, really.  I'd rate this as my favorite tripel, but I'd also rate it as one of my least favorite bourbon barrel aged beers that I've tried. 8.33/10

Curieux is one of my favorite beers. I will tell you that it is VASTLY different from a bottle compared to on tap.
On tap, you pick up on the coconut flavor and the vanilla flavor. It's a little more boozy out of the bottle (that bourbon flavor).
I will also say that I might be biased as Belgian beers, tripel's especially, are my favorite beers.
If you can find it on tap, give it another try.

-J-

It feels like there are so many neglected breweries out there making, bottling, and distributing beer, that for many, I never get to fully try or appreciate.. I'm changing all that.

Last night, I went with a North Coast Old Stock Ale 2013. What a treat this one was to drink.. About $3 cheaper than ten-fidy and has more alcohol (11.9%). This was a dark maroon color, almost too beautiful to drink. It had a dark fruit/raisin type smell, known to many stouts. It also had some toffee flavors/wine type taste to it. This one was above what I expected.. Easily 9.5/10. North Coast is available almost everywhere. I highly recommend this stuff. Obviously check out other reviews online for other descriptions. I'm not great at that. If I like a beer, I try to pick up a few things. Reviews were solid so I gave it a try.. Glad I did. They had a serving suggestion of 60 degrees and in a tulip like glass. 60 turned me away. But I did let it sit for awhile, and it started tasting even better.

Along the same lines with North Coast, I also tried a Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. This one has great review scores in the mid 90s. This beer compared to other top readily available stouts had more of a alcohol burn than any other that I've tried. I wouldn't say this had any sort of smoothness. Carbonation was above average. Chocolate bittersweet flavors galore... It was more of a sharp RIS than a smooth easy drinker.. Very high flavor profiles all around. Nothing subtle.. Personally, I would say 8.8/10 since it was a bit out of what I like. But for what it is, and if you like that,, easily 9.3/10. This along with Samuel Smith, Stone RIS, and Ten Fidy, people have some great choices around that arent neccersarily local.

To think both of those were just sitting on the bottom shelve getting all dusty.. It's too bad.

It feels like there are so many neglected breweries out there making, bottling, and distributing beer, that for many, I never get to fully try or appreciate.. I'm changing all that.

Last night, I went with a North Coast Old Stock Ale 2013. What a treat this one was to drink.. About $3 cheaper than ten-fidy and has more alcohol (11.9%). This was a dark maroon color, almost too beautiful to drink. It had a dark fruit/raisin type smell, known to many stouts. It also had some toffee flavors/wine type taste to it. This one was above what I expected.. Easily 9.5/10. North Coast is available almost everywhere. I highly recommend this stuff. Obviously check out other reviews online for other descriptions. I'm not great at that. If I like a beer, I try to pick up a few things. Reviews were solid so I gave it a try.. Glad I did. They had a serving suggestion of 60 degrees and in a tulip like glass. 60 turned me away. But I did let it sit for awhile, and it started tasting even better.

Along the same lines with North Coast, I also tried a Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout. This one has great review scores in the mid 90s. This beer compared to other top readily available stouts had more of a alcohol burn than any other that I've tried. I wouldn't say this had any sort of smoothness. Carbonation was above average. Chocolate bittersweet flavors galore... It was more of a sharp RIS than a smooth easy drinker.. Very high flavor profiles all around. Nothing subtle.. Personally, I would say 8.8/10 since it was a bit out of what I like. But for what it is, and if you like that,, easily 9.3/10. This along with Samuel Smith, Stone RIS, and Ten Fidy, people have some great choices around that arent neccersarily local.

To think both of those were just sitting on the bottom shelve getting all dusty.. It's too bad.

North Coast, Lagunitas & Firestone Walker are my top 3 favorite breweries because they put out SOLID beers that are always readily available and cheap. 4 pack of Old Rasputin for $8, 6 pack of Sucks for $10 & 6 pack of Union Jack for $9?!?

Which brings another point: the industry needs to get rid of bombers. Why's a 22oz bottle $9 and a 6 pack of 12oz bottles $14? Looking at you Sculpin. Or even worse when your favorite beer is only available in a bomber format, then you have to get white girl wasted when you're just trying to chill out with your favorite brew after a hard day at work.

So I tried out that Shipyard Pumpkin head.

I was surprised, I thought pumpkin flair would be over powering / strong but when you first taste it, you do get get that pumpkin taste but then it settles into a nice almost nutty after taste with a slight bite at the end.

Enjoyed it. :smokin

Shipyard Pumpkinhead is VERY different; it was made before pumpkin ales became all the rage

I really enjoy it; people used to really hate on it but I think the fact that it's unique and not like every other pumpkin ale has made it become a cult favorite as years pass

I personally always liked it

Last edited:
So I tried out that Shipyard Pumpkin head.

I was surprised, I thought pumpkin flair would be over powering / strong but when you first taste it, you do get get that pumpkin taste but then it settles into a nice almost nutty after taste with a slight bite at the end.

Enjoyed it. :smokin

Shipyard Pumpkinhead is VERY different; it was made before pumpkin ales became all the rage

I really enjoy it; people used to really hate on it but I think the fact that it's unique and not like every other pumpkin ale has made it become a cult favorite as years pass

I personally always liked it

Love it. Gets bashed to no end on BA, but I think it is delicious.

-J-

Guinness.  Hate when bartenders don't know how to pour one from the tap though. 
mad.gif

Back
Top Bottom