NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Woah, this was amazing. Also a bonus was the fact that my buddy got this in a trade and decided to surprise me with this, a few other highly sought after beers, and filet mignon and lobster tail. :nthat:

I believe the difference is the temperature that they are brewed at. Lagers are brewed at a colder temp and ales are brewed at a warmer temp.

Partly true. Lagers and Ales use different yeasts. And the type of yeast used has everything to do with the fermentation temp. Lager yeast is able to withstand the colder temperature while ale yeast is able to withstand the warmer temps.

I believe the difference is the temperature that they are brewed at. Lagers are brewed at a colder temp and ales are brewed at a warmer temp.

Partly true. Lagers and Ales use different yeasts. And the type of yeast used has everything to do with the fermentation temp. Lager yeast is able to withstand the colder temperature while ale yeast is able to withstand the warmer temps.

And lager yeast are bottom fermenting while ale yeast are top fermenting.

Very true. WIth that, you get many lagers that take 4-6 weeks to ferment/lager vs. a 2 week "IPA" ale. So for many homebrewers or startup breweries, it is all ALES for many months until they dedicate the time, effort, and equipment to run lagers.

Next time you see or taste a great lager, thank the brewer/brewery..

I'm prepping for a crazy lineup for Wednesday (off turkey day) into a Thanksgiving brunch.. not sure what I'll be drinking.

Here's what's in my fridge
Stone Xocoveza
Stone 2013 IRS
Rochefort 10
Founders IS
Founders breakfast stout
Founders Backwoods 2013 and 2014
Bells Expedition Stout
Marble Reserve BBA 2013 and 2014
Marble Imperial Stout BBA 2013 and 2014
Marble early 2014 BarleyWine
La Cumbre Father Nelson DIPA (going on three months old)
La Cumbre Anniversary Belgian Quad (two weeks short of a year old)
La Cumbre Elevated
WB Gose
Two types of homebrew ( vienna ale dryhopped with cascade and a milk stout)
I may be over thinking things. I'm trying to plan it all out with food etc...

What about you all?
-----------

I will say, very early on into drinking craft, I didnt like IPAs, nor stouts.. I dont even like hot coffee in the morning. But coffee beans in a beer? I love it. Bourbon alone? I gag on most hard liquors.. So I gotta say, a lot of people are different.. Find your beer niche and stick with it. Some only like sours. Some like hefeweizens and the sweeter belgian beers. There are many beers out where you get almost zero sense of any hops, and those are great beers.

I may have had SA Merrymaker a couple years back. Ive sorta stopped buying their obscure bombers (they have some bottles that seem a bit more "special".. Its BA score is right around 83. so I would argue that you may just not like what that beer is all about. I would not stop trying other stouts though. Left Hand milk stout is a great intro/go to milk stout that is much more accessible on ones palette and wallet

Last edited:
I'm going light for Thanksgiving. Gotta save room for solid calories :pimp:

I will say, very early on into drinking craft, I didnt like IPAs, nor stouts.. I dont even like hot coffee in the morning. But coffee beans in a beer? I love it. Bourbon alone? I gag on most hard liquors.. So I gotta say, a lot of people are different.. Find your beer niche and stick with it. Some only like sours. Some like hefeweizens and the sweeter belgian beers. There are many beers out where you get almost zero sense of any hops, and those are great beers.

Strong flavors are almost always off-putting for anyone not acquainted to it, whether with beer or otherwise. IPAs I had to warm up to but now love. DIPAs and TIPAs...I can enjoy the more "drinkable" ones. Stouts though....I went full on and haven't looked back. Old Rasputin is what got me into this money pit :lol:

Still not entirely convinced with BBA stuff.

Last edited:
-----------

I may have had SA Merrymaker a couple years back. Ive sorta stopped buying their obscure bombers (they have some bottles that seem a bit more "special".. Its BA score is right around 83. so I would argue that you may just not like what that beer is all about. I would not stop trying other stouts though. Left Hand milk stout is a great intro/go to milk stout that is much more accessible on ones palette and wallet

8)

Btw let us know how you like founders breakfast stout, when you decide to crack it open.im thinking this thanksgiving I'm going to give "lagunitas united imperial red ale" or "SA New World" a try.

Last edited:

Woah, this was amazing. Also a bonus was the fact that my buddy got this in a trade and decided to surprise me with this, a few other highly sought after beers, and filet mignon and lobster tail. :nthat:

Someone have a baby or a birthday? What a treat!
---------
Prince Swizz, I got more than enough FBSs, so I have been slowly throwing them back.. Just a very very good stout with slight hints of chocolate, cocoa, and roast.. ABV at 8.3% does not hinder or feel detectable. It's no surprise that it's a top trending beer on untappd checkins (Sam Adams Winter Lager is #1 so the list isnt entirely indicative of quality)
-------

Got caught up at the grocery store buying thanksgiving food... Ended up with a 11/14/14 Project Dank bomber, a11/24/14 Elevated IPA ( A TRUE BORN YESTERDAY BEER lol) 4 pack (considering its price and freshness, I shoulda went with another couple), and a six pack of Ska Modus Hoperandi. I have yet to try the ska IPA. so this should be fun. Best by date is 3/11/15. I saw others that were best by 12/28/14, so my guess is its 6 months.. At 6 months, this one is born right around October 11th, which for beers outside of the true local footprint, that's pretty fresh

Last edited:
I think the Thanksgiving lineup will consist of 2 plans.
Plan A is Rumpkin, Pump(ky)n and a w00t stout 2.0.
Plan B is an Enjoy By, a growler of Smog City Grape Ape IPA, Modern Times Black House and Ballast Point Victory at Sea.
Plan B is looking more like the winner. A bit more session able.

I just did a quick pick up. Picked up totally randoms. My taste bud is in for a ride this week. And I hope Old Rasputin changes my mind on stouts!

Got caught up at the grocery store buying thanksgiving food... Ended up with a 11/14/14 Project Dank bomber, a11/24/14 Elevated IPA ( A TRUE BORN YESTERDAY BEER lol) 4 pack (considering its price and freshness, I shoulda went with another couple), and a six pack of Ska Modus Hoperandi. I have yet to try the ska IPA. so this should be fun. Best by date is 3/11/15. I saw others that were best by 12/28/14, so my guess is its 6 months.. At 6 months, this one is born right around October 11th, which for beers outside of the true local footprint, that's pretty fresh

Oh man...enjoy that Modus. One of my favorite IPAs for sure. Can never get enough of that.

FBS 4-packs sitting on the shelves of TW where I'm at. Honestly, I left it there and kept it moving. I'm a big fan of stouts but that one didn't stand out as one that is worth the prices they're asking.

FBS 4-packs sitting on the shelves of TW where I'm at. Honestly, I left it there and kept it moving. I'm a big fan of stouts but that one didn't stand out as one that is worth the prices they're asking.

Must be nice to have that opportunity. |I

How much do they go for?

Don't dismiss 4 packs. Even a $14.99 ten fidy is cheaper than a standard bomber of 9% beer that costs $9.99. $0.03 cents per standard abv oz vs. $0.05 cents. Fbs has about 400 abv oz. So the savings is quite big. A $12 FBS 4 pack is right in line with ten fidy. A $12 FBS would need to cost upward of $20 before it balances with a standard $10 9% BOMBER. Crazy huh?

Both $15 ten fidy and a $12 4 pack of FBS equates to a $6 bomber.

They have us by the balls with this bomber is better talk.

Last edited:
Info? I'm gonna head up to OC first weekend of Decmber. Might make a stop to BL.
It's a russian imperial stout aged for 8 months in buffalo trace bourbon barrels. Only 3,200 bottles were produced. It's a 500 ml bottle and limit of 4 per person. Goes on sale tomorrow at 4. I was planning on getting 4 bottles but after tonight I'll just stick to 2. I just drove around Orange County like a mad man to pick these up. First spot only had christmas bomb. Second had just sold out of pirate bomb and I by luck went to another shop and they had just gotten it in.

Someone have a baby or a birthday? What a treat!

Actually just my friend being extra generous and wanting to have a family get together.

Also, with all this FBS talk, its on shelves at 9.99 at the hole in the wall gas station here and at 10.99 at another bottle shop close by. I don't think i've ever paid more than 12 for a 4pk.

Going on a mission later today to cop a few stouts and sours for thanksgiving day. Will report back with the haul.

[quote name="NeoSole89"

Sipping on these tonight :D

[/quote]

How you like them!?

Tried , Founders Dark Penance Imperial Black IPA on tap yesterday...... Real nice aroma, taste great. One thing killed it for me its this alcohol burn when you swallow it *pause*. Just wished they mask the alcohol a bit more.

Back
Top Bottom