NT, You're on the jury...

Some great replies in this thread.

I find myself torn about it really.  If a robber see's this on tv they will realize that they shouldn't rob stores because there is a chance they will get murdered.  But if this guy gets life it is basically deterring any sort of self defense and that it is better for the store owner to just hand over the money because if you shoot at the robber there is a chance you could get life.  That is really empowering the criminal here. 

But in this scenario he hit the robber could have called the police and left him on the ground shot.  I don't know if the second robber even had a gun or if he did pose a threat laying there shot but i doubt it.  So i think the guy should get jail time prob 40-50 years.

Some great replies in this thread.

I find myself torn about it really.  If a robber see's this on tv they will realize that they shouldn't rob stores because there is a chance they will get murdered.  But if this guy gets life it is basically deterring any sort of self defense and that it is better for the store owner to just hand over the money because if you shoot at the robber there is a chance you could get life.  That is really empowering the criminal here. 

But in this scenario he hit the robber could have called the police and left him on the ground shot.  I don't know if the second robber even had a gun or if he did pose a threat laying there shot but i doubt it.  So i think the guy should get jail time prob 40-50 years.

Originally Posted by AlRjordan

He didn't do anything wrong until he shot the kid while he was already wounded and defenseless laying on the floor. THAT is not self defense, THAT is murder. Shooting a robber who runs into your store with a gun, thats self defense.

Originally Posted by AlRjordan

He didn't do anything wrong until he shot the kid while he was already wounded and defenseless laying on the floor. THAT is not self defense, THAT is murder. Shooting a robber who runs into your store with a gun, thats self defense.

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

The man is definitely guilty.

But he shouldn't receive anywhere close to life in prison.

I can't imagine getting guns pulled on me by two dudes.....and trying to act rationally after that.
I don't think I can image how the adrenaline or whatever would affect me.  Only know that I would be completely different.

Originally Posted by i LyricaLJKilla i

The man is definitely guilty.

But he shouldn't receive anywhere close to life in prison.

I can't imagine getting guns pulled on me by two dudes.....and trying to act rationally after that.
I don't think I can image how the adrenaline or whatever would affect me.  Only know that I would be completely different.

The mind state of that man had to change once he saw that gun being waived in his face.

I'm not trying to justify his actions at all, but it is tough for a person to rationalize what he is doing and to come down from the initial "shock" and "threat" of having a gun waived in their face. I mean that whole sequence took about 1 minute.

Now I am not well versed in the law, but isn't there some sort of defense that could have claimed that he still wasn't in the right state of mind when he went back and finished the kid off?

The mind state of that man had to change once he saw that gun being waived in his face.

I'm not trying to justify his actions at all, but it is tough for a person to rationalize what he is doing and to come down from the initial "shock" and "threat" of having a gun waived in their face. I mean that whole sequence took about 1 minute.

Now I am not well versed in the law, but isn't there some sort of defense that could have claimed that he still wasn't in the right state of mind when he went back and finished the kid off?

Originally Posted by tkthafm

Guilty for the reasons everyone already mentioned.

A life sentence seems excessive though given the circumstances. I would have hit him with a flat 10.
i agree with that.

Originally Posted by tkthafm

Guilty for the reasons everyone already mentioned.

A life sentence seems excessive though given the circumstances. I would have hit him with a flat 10.
i agree with that.

Originally Posted by spacerace

Personally, I think what he did was nothing short of a barbaric �execution - while in a state of temporary insanity. [color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]I would argue that he should have been found guilty on second-degree murder, but i do see the case being made for first-degree[/color]
Temporary insanity would mean he couldn't be convicted of either degree of murder... which would have been the most just outcome for this case.

Originally Posted by spacerace

Personally, I think what he did was nothing short of a barbaric �execution - while in a state of temporary insanity. [color= rgb(255, 255, 255)]I would argue that he should have been found guilty on second-degree murder, but i do see the case being made for first-degree[/color]
Temporary insanity would mean he couldn't be convicted of either degree of murder... which would have been the most just outcome for this case.

Also, judging by a lot of the replies in this thread... *sigh* I just hope a lot you never sit on a real jury.

Also, judging by a lot of the replies in this thread... *sigh* I just hope a lot you never sit on a real jury.

Originally Posted by Russ tha G

+1
indifferent.gif

Because it would have been self-defense

As far as I know, the defense didn't argue for temporary insanity, the defendant said the criminal on the ground was still moving and posed a threat. Judging by the video tape, the pharmacist seemed to be well in control of the situation, he walked past the robber on the floor, went and got a SECOND gun, then repeatedly shot him again. Self-defense ends in this case once the threat has passed, he didn't seem to still be in danger.

Had they argued another type of defense, perhaps it would have resulted in a different outcome.

Because it would have been self-defense

As far as I know, the defense didn't argue for temporary insanity, the defendant said the criminal on the ground was still moving and posed a threat. Judging by the video tape, the pharmacist seemed to be well in control of the situation, he walked past the robber on the floor, went and got a SECOND gun, then repeatedly shot him again. Self-defense ends in this case once the threat has passed, he didn't seem to still be in danger.

Had they argued another type of defense, perhaps it would have resulted in a different outcome.

Originally Posted by bns1201

he rid the world of one more useless human being. props
THANK YOU! It was an ARMED robbery- regardless of whether both were strapped or not.  Luckily it wasnt me in this situation- cuz I would've done the same thing, and been long gone

Back
Top Bottom