Nters in the military check in..

My thoughts from our last military discussion.

Been in the AF for just over 4 years now. Probably one of the best choices I've ever made in my life. I think there is a common misconception that the military life style is substandard when it comes to things like pay, quality of life, etc. I'm here to say as far as the AF is concern that this is a myth. When you consider all the things the gov. pays for ( 100% college tuition, rent, food, clothing, med bills. etc) you have more income then most people at that age/experience in the civilian world. As far as "hardships" , I'd say about 70% of the job in the AF are just like regular 9 to 5-Monday-through-Friday civilian jobs, the only difference is that you wear a uniform to work and you have to follow some rules. Considering the benefits I listed above, I'd say this is a fair trade off.

My only advice is to talk to your recruiter and get a guaranteed job you want to do - and not be talked into "Open General" b/c they can put you where ever they want. Check out about.com they have a pretty good description of the different career fields.

As for " do military folks lose their fun for entertainment" question I'd say no. You can do everything a regular person can with the exception of drugs and other criminal activity.

To address your living situation question, normally Airmen who aren't married and don't have any kids lives in the dorms. (That should give you a hint on the quality of AF life, we live in dorms while other services live in Barracks and ships ) Actually dorm life is decent. I've actually had some of the best times in my life as a young cat in the dorms. It's like the whole college experience with out the school and with the addition of having $ in your pocket. Normally once you reach your Senior Airmen mark or 3 years time in service they give you the option to move off base. With your college credits you'd come in as a E-3, so you'd be looking @ about a year in the dorms. After that you get a monthly housing allowance and you can move off base. I'm getting about 1k a month now for mine.

Hope this helps, ask if you have any more Qs.

My base pay is $2200 + $1000 (Housing allowance) + $600BAS/FOOD) + COLLEGE+MED/DENTAL etc., that's almost $5000 monthly for a single 22 y/o without a college degree.

Back
Top Bottom