#NTNurses RNs (Registered Nurses)/Student Nurses Of NikeTalk Official Thread.

Any of you fellas work in medsurge? After doing rotations there I realized it is my least favorite. Really not feeling it I don't know why. Maybe it's the fact that I am an introvert and I hate talking to family members. I enjoyed being in the OR and ED the most. What are your guys's opinion for a new grad?

Any of you fellas work in medsurge? After doing rotations there I realized it is my least favorite. Really not feeling it I don't know why. Maybe it's the fact that I am an introvert and I hate talking to family members. I enjoyed being in the OR and ED the most. What are your guys's opinion for a new grad?
I say go wherever you're gonna get the most exposure as a new grad, and regular-old med-surg usually isn't the place. Best exposure you're gonna get is in ICU or ED.

Talking to family members can be challenging, but it's an inevitability of the job. It's a skill that I was forced to work on when I did sub-acute rehab because the doctors were only there maybe once or twice a week when some of these patients were just as sick as they were when they were at the hospital, yet the family still wanted immediate answers or explanations. Most ICUs have at least one doctor around 24/7 you can turn to for answers if the heat gets to be too much.

OR is probably your best bet as an end destination if you're an introvert though. I'm not necessarily an introvert, but dealing with the non-clincal aspects of nursing can be a drain at times. It's one of the driving factors as to why I wanna go to CRNA school. It's heavy on the sciences/clinical aspects and low on the emotional/interpersonal aspects of nursing. Average salary isn't exactly a detractor either.

I originally accepted a critical care residency at the current hospital I work at (3 months on cardiac/neuro/medical/cv surgical icu) but last week I was offered a position in Trauma ICU at a teaching hospital. I accepted the Trauma ICU offer so I plan on just staying prn at my current job there (psych). I couldn't turn down the opportunity of working at a nationally recognized facility + level 1 Trauma :pimp:

First semester of graduate school was ok. Kinda scared about this summer session. I'll be taking two classes in less than two months which is pretty intense.. And I'll still be full time at my job..

What brand does everyone use for scrubs? I rock with dickies but the new ones have huge leg openings now. Any recs for something tapered or at least more fitted?

Bombed my first interview today for ED. For some reason I did not expect them to bombard me with a bunch of scenario questions. On tilt right now lol...

How’s the nursing life fellas? Thinking about applying to a nursing school. Change in direction. I’m 27. Should it matter :lol:

How’s the nursing life fellas? Thinking about applying to a nursing school. Change in direction. I’m 27. Should it matter :lol:

No, there's people that are in there 40-60's in school, and that's not uncommon. There's a lot of people who pursue nursing as their second career or while already having another bachelors. Most people I would say are in there 20-30's.

Stressful job, pays decent with flexibility to get paid well depending on where you live. It's nice to make a living "helping people", but depending where you work it's practically a customer service job (not in the sense that it's an easy job, but patients feel like they're in a hotel sometimes, instead of a hospital). I personally enjoy it overall. Working 3 days a week is really nice. It's definitely not a bad career. You work with a lot of women.

Last edited:
Speaking of ages...

I was expecting most people in grad school to be my age or older...

It was a very pleasant surprise to see that most of the students in my class are females around 25 years of age :evil:

What brand does everyone use for scrubs? I rock with dickies but the new ones have huge leg openings now. Any recs for something tapered or at least more fitted?

ED is love hate relationship, you’ll get more bad nights than good if you work in a Trauma 1 Hospital

For scrubs can’t go wrong with Figs

Your never to old to change careers, when I was 21 in nursing school; there were people in their late 20s, 30s in my class

Cherokee

Got my lpn at 29. Became a RN at 31 so it’s never too late.

1st week of orientation now. Ended up dropping my old job so I could put all my focus into this.

First week of orientation for me. Nervous as hell I'm worried that I can't even do even the simplest things right like taking vitals or even having a conversation with a pt without sounding like the pimple face guy on the simpsons that works at krusty burger

First week of orientation for me. Nervous as hell I'm worried that I can't even do even the simplest things right like taking vitals or even having a conversation with a pt without sounding like the pimple face guy on the simpsons that works at krusty burger

You’ll get the hang of it, don’t make things harder than what they need to be. Observe others and watch how they do things. Take what you like from them and shape it into your own practice. Believe in the preparation, there’s no escaping the work. Put in the work and preparation and you’ll be fine. No one knows everything, we’re all always learning. You have everything inside of you in order to be successful.

You'll get it eventually, but I'd be lying if I said the first year isn't rough. Be ready to learn by making mistakes. You'll be anxious about going into work most days, you'll feel dumb a good amount of the time, you'll drive home wishing you did certain things better, and some days you'll question if you're even cut out for the field. All of this is completely normal.

Just know it gets easier with repetition and experience.

I didn't know there was an NT nurses thread going. Today, January 9th, I'll be 10 years in the profession, my last 5 years in the operating room.

For the proud RNs of NT: Happy Nurses' week w/ deals and freebies:
  1. AmazonHead on over and browse all the Free Nursing Books, because they won’t last forever!
  2. Applebee’s Grill & Bar – Dollaritas are back! $1 Margaritas available now. Special promotions vary by location, so your neighborhood Applebee’s is the best place to start. You can also reach them toll-free at 888-592-7753 and they’ll be happy to check with any Applebee’s near you on your behalf.
  3. Buca di Beppo – we just got confirmation that they’re not offering a freebie this year.
  4. Chick-fil-A – Check with your local restaurant for Chick fil A nurses week participation, because each may offer great freebies for nurses!
  5. Cinema Cafe – Free popcorn for nurses with valid ID all week
  6. Cinnabon – From May 6-12, participating Cinnabon Bakeries will offer a choice of a free Cinnabon® Classic Cinnamon Roll, MiniBon®, or 4-count BonBites™ when nurses show their healthcare ID badge
  7. ChipotleNurses Week Freebies 2019 Chipotle offers round out some very tasty food this year! However, in 2017 and 2018 Chipotle announced that they’d have specials, just not during nurses week. Although last year they did offer a BOGO special for Teacher Appreciation Week. Come on, Chipotle!? Nonetheless, at participating Chipotle’s, every Wednesday is medical professional BOGO 50% OFF!
  8. Culver’s Individual locations offer specials throughout the week for nurses with a valid ID
  9. Dunkin’ Donuts – Participating locations are offering a free 16 0z. Dunkin’ Dark Roast iced coffee May 6-12, between 4 p.m. and 10 p.m. with a valid health care ID
  10. Duck Donuts: The Chesapeak location is offering a 20% discount to all teachers May 6th-10th
  11. Einstein Bro’s Bagels – no offer has been announced for this year
  12. Freebirds World Burrito For Teacher Appreciation Week, MAY 6th TO MAY 10th, Freebirds is offering a $10 PER PERSON TACO BAR FOR TEACHERS AND SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS. Call our catering crew to get your taco meal deal!
  13. Häagen-Dazs: May 14, 2019 is Häagen-Dazs’ Free Cone Day which is just after Nurse’s week this year. But, you don’t have to be a nurse to take advantage of the deal, which you can learn more about here.
  14. Jimboy’s Tacos: Past years they’ve offered nurses who show ID, a BOGO Free Original Ground Beef Tacos through May 12 (limit 3)… but nothing has been announced yet for this year
  15. MOD Pizza: BOGO Free pizza or salad on 5/12. In store only, and must show valid ID.
  16. PDQTeachers & Nurses receive 50% off of their entire check on Tuesday, May 7, with valid ID.
  17. Pollo Tropical: Through May 12, nurses get 25% off any purchase when they show their healthcare ID
  18. Potbelly Sandwich Shop: Through May 12, show your ID for a BOGO free sandwich, salad or pick your pair
  19. SalataBuy One, Get One Free offer on salads or wraps of equal or lesser value when teachers show their valid school ID in store on Weds, May 8.
  20. Scooter’s Coffee: On May 6, nurses get 50% off any drink when they show their ID. Plus, enter to win a $50 gift card!
  21. Sprinkles Cupcakes – free sweet treat with badge at participating locations
  22. Sugar Shack Donuts & Coffee – Free house doughnut on Monday, likewise you’ll get 30% off all week.
  23. Texas Steakhouse & Saloon: Through May 12, nurses take $5 off a minimum purchase of $15 or more when they show their badge.

National Nurses Week Discounts
Be sure to check back, because we will update this list often!

1. 1-800-Flowers – Save up to 50% on floral deliveries through the end of June
  2. Disney World – special discounts for nurses at the Swan and Dolphins resorts. Call 800-227-1500 and mention the code DREAMS. Mention that you are a nurse at the time of booking!
  3. Lydia’s Uniforms (now Uniform Advantage) – Nurses get 20 percent off nurse mates clogs, athletic wear and shoes. Use Code SAVE to save even more!
  4. Nature’s Gift – Nurses receive 10% off purchase price of essential oils and most other products with a current state license. They must have a copy of their license.
  5. PDQ – Will offer nurses who show their badges 50% off their total check on May 8th.
  6. Salus Medical Uniforms – Nurses can save 80 percent on nurse jackets, scrubs, uniforms and more.
  7. Shoe’s.com – Grab your $5 reward just for joining their free reward program, plus save 25% with code SPRING25
  8. Sleep Number – Nurses can receive 35% off their purchases with license verification.
  9. WGU – Western Governors University has scholarships available and no-fee application during nurses week for additional schooling.

To my NT RNs and other healthcare workers, i recently became an ambassador for Figs and wanted to share my code with y’all in case ya need some scrubs, just make sure you are logged in to your account and use this code at check out for 15% off

FIGSxElkinRT

Back
Top Bottom