Nursing Program

i just applied for fall. i doubt i'm going to get in though -_-
no waiting list either. just gotta reapply every time.

Originally Posted by HyphySole

Well at ASU, you get in right away, but you have to have a 4.0 gpa to get in. If you dont get in, you cant reapply for it. So I said screw that and just decided on going to the nursing program at a community college then finishing my BA at ASU. Anatomy classes are a pain in the $@%
just trying to get an "A" in physiology is sooooo f*#%ing hard which is also required (4.0 gpa) at my state college
smh.gif
so i'm going to a CC too.

I guess yall like being around sick people and see them dying. Yea nurses make money but damn don't you think it's a depressing career ?

i find that nursing school grads have almost guarantee job right after college out of most 4 or 2 year programs in this economic time... my girl who graduated last may got a job within weeks of passing her nclex, me as comp sci graduate who just graduated back in january is having a hard #$((*# time getting a job...

* and she's making 65k off the bat with only working 3 days a week

Originally Posted by jcsellsf

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

wait are all you dudes? Not there is anything wrong with it but I just haven't so many male nurses.

in california, nurses start at like around $50 an hour. so there are a lot of male nurses out here. aint nothing wrong wit making 100,000 a year
doubt you'll be making 100k a year. you'll work like 3-4 days a week tops for around 10 hours per day. so unless you're physically able to work 6 days a week (if they even give your the days/hours) u wont be making 100k. You do have alot of flexibility with a RN degree though.

been undeclared for a while. almost 2 years. i decided on pharmacy but didnt go cause of funds. so i was stuck but still wanted to be in the health field.

so i chose to do nursing. mind you im a junior with almost 60+ credits under my belt. and i got in cause of a high gpa and blah blah. but yeah

declare as soon as you can its fairly easy at the beginning and i got my pre-reqs out the way so i can concentrate on the core classes when they get harder.

ALSO: keep a look out for scholarships and grants because if your a male and are of a minority background there is alot of money out there to be had. I got
a $1500 stipend for 4 years (later on you get laptops and ipod touch PDAs with nursing curriculum on them) for being an asian male in nursing.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

I guess yall like being around sick people and see them dying. Yea nurses make money but damn don't you think it's a depressing career ?
It could be rewarding, being a doctor for example.

Originally Posted by VARSITY kid

Anatomy and Physiology is killing me right now... IDK if im even going to even get a C in it
smh.gif

stick with it my dude, I had a D all semester til the last exam, and got a C in the class. Memorizing the bone parts isnt hard if you make flash cards.

And A&P2 is easier imo

And the only nurses that make 100k and over are the ones holding practioning licenses and the other upper nursing jobs.

Yeah i know!!! Its so Fn hard. And im doing bones now actually. And hopefully A&P2 is easier cus if it aint i might have to reconsider my major
laugh.gif

Naw i dont think so

Anatomy and Physiology is killing me right now... IDK if im even going to even get a C in it
smh.gif

stick with it my dude, I had a D all semester til the last exam, and got a C in the class. Memorizing the bone parts isnt hard if you make flash cards.

And A&P2 is easier imo
CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jt solemates lm

smh.gif

And A&P2 is easier imo
CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
yea, print out a tiny pic of the bone and put it on a note card, and then circle the part of the bone. Then on the back of the card, write the name of that bone part. And just test yourself.  I passed with an A on the Bone practical because of this.

No jobs for new grads. Stanford (CA) has a new grad program and the competition was absolutely cut throat. Kaiser Oakland didn't take 4 of my classmates even though they interned there and have a 4.0 GPA. Out of state, it's a little better but I hear it can also be really tough - 500 applicants for 5 positions. If you're waiting to get in, don't stress. Handle your business because even if you graduate, you'll most likely be umemployeed unless A LOT changes. Keep knocking out your classes, and hopefully in a year or two, the job market is better.

Edit:  The dude that posted after me has a point - if at all you can avoid the Community College route, I would recommend it.  Granted you'll save a lot of money getting your degree, and with an Associate's degree you'll get your RN license but if you decide to advance your career, you'll need a BSN and eventually a Masters - especially if you want to become a Nurse Practitioner. 

hmm..are you guys just trying to do the program at a CC? Generally only community colleges do the lottery thing. At state schools in california they base it off your GPA and Entrance exam scores. My lady's friend didn't have to wait at all and was accepted this year to a few state schools.

I'm currently in my 2nd year of my nursing degree
up here at the university of manitoba the lowest grade that got in was a 3.1 GPA, which is roughly is a high C+
good luck to everyone trying to get into the program!

Originally Posted by filipin0y

Originally Posted by TheeQuickness

Originally Posted by filipin0y

where are you guys from and what school? im still a senior in high school but i already enrolled in this college called westcoast university
pimp.gif
im already in! no waiting list
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
and i graduate in 3 years 2 months exactly.

My friend goes there. She's dying. Don't think its an easy program, because it is extremely rigorous. She quit her job, and is studying 6-8 hours a day at least coming home from class. It's no joke. Good luck man

i am very well aware of that. you think id join this school without knowing the complete schedule?
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
my friend goes there and hes having an alright time. the first year is only 3 to 4 days a week, and yeah it is 6-8 hours of studying. its just when it gets to the clinical its gonna be a pain in the +@#. but every school you go to for nursing will have to go through the clinical anyways.
was thinking of going to westcoast but wasn't too thrilled about the 136k bill. Plus i heard the clinical experience is wack, but to each their own...

AI AUDI

Yes I am a guy. My mother is an operating room nurse for 20+ years. She influenced me to become a nurse, which is why nursing is my first career choice. You need to have compassion to help people or else you'll be miserable. I feel like I have that passion for helping people. Another filipino nurse? Well, it is our specialty. I guess inherited the nursing gene. Besides that, the experience of helping people through their lowest times in their life is rewarding. No one likes to be in the hospital. It is one of our jobs to help them through the experience as comfortably as possible. You first experience the satisfaction of affecting someone's life during your first clinical rotation. The first clinical rotation is the weeding out process for all nursing students. Not everyone makes it through. People who do it for the money end up being miserable and get burnt out, FAST.

Originally Posted by pinoysfinest21

the experience of helping people through their lowest times in their life is rewarding. No one likes to be in the hospital. It is one of our jobs to help them through the experience as comfortably as possible.  

CO-SIGN!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^My greatest reason to want to become a nurse (besides the job security and benefits of course)...I actually somewhat felt that compassion a nurse may feel when helping sick patients when I interned as a medical assistant merely taking vital signs and carrying out other minor physician orders...most of the patients I greeted/took vital signs on were really nice, which makes me anxious to help treat and experience some really sick ones in hospitals and so on when I finally get in the program
mad.gif

I'm already done
pimp.gif

Only got my A.D.N would love to finish my B.S.N one day.

smh.gif

And A&P2 is easier imo
Say what? I just turned in my Radiology application last month. I won't know until I finish A&P 2 this semester. 
A&P 2 is really making me miss A&P 1
frown.gif
. So far, i'm finding 1 to be a lot easier. The bones weren't bad, and the muscles where a little challenging. But i'm not getting these veins and arteries in 2.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

Originally Posted by jcsellsf

Originally Posted by Mr Anleu

wait are all you dudes? Not there is anything wrong with it but I just haven't so many male nurses.

in california, nurses start at like around $50 an hour. so there are a lot of male nurses out here. aint nothing wrong wit making 100,000 a year
doubt you'll be making 100k a year. you'll work like 3-4 days a week tops for around 10 hours per day. so unless you're physically able to work 6 days a week (if they even give your the days/hours) u wont be making 100k. You do have alot of flexibility with a RN degree though.

40 hours at $50/hour equals 100k a year, not including overtime. nurses get paid bread out here

where are you guys from and what school? im still a senior in high school but i already enrolled in this college called westcoast university im already in! no waiting list
pimp.gif
:pimp: and i graduate in 3 years 2 months exactly.

you know why there isnt a waiting list? it cost $100,000+ for your tenure there, when you could get in at a junior college for $35-$40/unit for two years. whether you have an AA or a BS in nursing, its all the same...

i know alot of people that choose that route because they didnt want to wait. i spoke with the professors there and they told me that although you are getting a bachelor's, it's no good towards a masters, should you want to pursue one. as far as i know, westcoast university does not have a reputation out in the nursing field, and close friends of mine that just graduated from the LA and OC sites haven't been able to find jobs for the past 3 months. (but that's mostly due to the economy we're in, low census, and over saturation of new grads)

by all means, good luck and best wishes to you, but perspective students should know what they're getting themselves into before committing to it.

Back
Top Bottom