NYC Rent Guidelines Board Approves Increases For Rent-Stabilized Apartments

its cool that you're proud of and love where you're from, but have you ever ventured out of your comfort zone/washington heights? let alone nyc? have you ever traveled to the west coast/midwest/south?

no hate, but you seem to talk down on other places without having been out of your hood. the common factor that i see from people "hating on the heights" is that they've all been to other places and experienced what these places have to offer. can you say the same?

dudes need to step up they travel game.  I'm from the hood Lakeview SF to be exact but I'm glad I've been fortunate enough to have been all around the country and also to multiple international destinations.  I now currently have homes in LA and Vegas and may add Miami next as these have been the spots I felt were worth living in part time.  NYC def not the best just off the cold winters alone

To the dudes "hating" on the Heightz, it did have its own show.

MTV must've seen something there.

Has to count for something right??

nerd.gif
nerd.gif

:wow: at the turn this thread took. Thank goodness for people quoting eva94's posts. I can't see how all the slander regarding his situation can be seen as anything other than hate. You're not saying it to help his situation at all. You're saying it in order to get some quotes, back-to-back rolling smiley faces and a few reputation points. He's happy with his situation and reaching da heightz that will make his life everything that he has intended for it to be. Let that man flourish.

Last edited:
[h6]At the Table | La Marina[/h6]

[h1]Where South Beach Meets Inwood[/h1]

05TABLE1_SPAN-articleLarge.jpg

Marcus Yam for The New York Times
COCKTAILS AND WATER Eight friends met at La Marina on Tuesday in time for happy hour and stayed for the sunset and a meal.

[h6]By LIZ ROBBINS
[/h6]

[h6]Published: August 3, 2012[/h6]

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google+
  • Print
  • Reprints

A misty, not-quite-full moon hung over the railroad tracks on Tuesday and peered quizzically onto an expansive new waterfront spot in Upper Manhattan, featuring candlelit cocktail tables, twinkling lights, a beach bar with beds and a covered 200-seat restaurant. La Marina in Inwood, open for a month, seems to be trying for a Miami-on-the-Hudson vibe, but it’s still closer to the South Bronx than South Beach. The incongruity of such a sprawling paradise at the end of Dyckman Street, several blocks from the A train, past broken glass and bingo players, never quite disappears. On weekends, the deck and beach bars are jammed, but this weeknight, the atmosphere was just comfortably buzzing. Patrons smoked hookah pipes in the patio lounge while a modest band played. Diners watched the sun set behind the Palisades, summoning still-learning wait staff. Firefighters, police officers, bankers, romantics, families and old friends converged for the scene and the company. Jet Skis whined on the river, kayakers glided in the moonlight and the George Washington Bridge burst into crystals of light, making the spectacular setting worth the trip.

Read more articles in this week's Metropolitan section.

[h3]Related[/h3]

[h4]Connect With NYTMetro[/h4]

Follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook for news and conversation.

Enlarge This Image
[img]http://graphics8.nytimes.com/i...on/05TABLE2/05TABLE2-articleInline.jpg[/img]
[h6]Marcus Yam for The New York Times[/h6]

La Marina, in Inwood, has been open for a month.

IN THE SEATS Close friends working at or around the NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center as emergency medical technicians, a nurse, a radiology technician, a police officer and a real estate account manager: Cynthia Diaz, 34; Jess, 28, and J. C. Hunt, 39; Noemi Ortiz, 42; Orlando Rivera Jr., 33; Boris Sullivan, 32; Andre, 36, and Joyce Clayton, 34.
WHY THEY CAME They planned this outing a month ago for a night when they all had time off. Arriving for happy hour, they stayed laughing through sunset and dessert.
ON THE PLATES The table started with a half dozen oysters ($18), two orders of shrimp cocktail ($12 each) and two orders of fried calamari ($8 each). For the main course, five diners ordered skirt steak with potato gratin and broccoli ($24). Two ordered the crispy-skin salmon with summer squash and asparagus in a lemon-chive butter sauce ($24). For dessert ($7 each) there were two tres leches cakes, one Chocolate Experience (oozing), one Tahitian vanilla crème brûlée, and two orders of Il Laboratorio del Gelato sorbet. For drinks there were margaritas and pineapple juice with Ciroc vodka ($12 each) and espresso with Sambuca ($5).

WHAT THEY TALKED ABOUTOh, we’re making fun of each other,” said Jess Hunt, one of the E.M.T.’s. They were teasing Mr. Clayton for being the only one to have weekends off. Mostly, they swapped frustrating, funny work stories. Two weeks ago, Ms. Hunt and Mr. Rivera, also an E.M.T., were on break eating rice and beans. A woman asked if they were eating falafel. They said no, but the woman punched her arms in the air and shouted: “Yay, falafel! I love falafel!” The gesture is “like the new ‘Tebow’ ” said Ms. Hunt, as she and Mr. Rivera raised their arms in unison and cracked up. Ms. Hunt was also relating the story of how she met her husband, a Bronx police officer: she had to pronounce an 87-year-old woman dead in her apartment, and Mr. Hunt filled out the paperwork. Less than two years later, they were married. After dinner, the group walked to the railing beside the water for a photo, the bridge shining behind them. Ms. Clayton, the real estate manager, said: “This is going to be a gold mine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/05/nyregion/at-la-marina-south-beach-meets-inwood.html?_r=0

i love it when people put their foot in their mouth...there's a reason i walk around here wit a certain diddy bop.

La Marina is dope... I been there but unfortunately, There is no sand, Nobody's gonna wanna swim in the Hudson. You know how dirty that river is?!. South Beach has at least 10 places like that on ocean ave and better than La Marina. Add to that, there's no Wet Willie's, Mango's or Clevelander's on the Marina :lol: . There's no point of posting that article when myself and many other on here know that the heights does not = south beach :lol: :lol: :smh:

I doubt people are gonna go to La Marina in the winter time and it won't be as poppin' like it is on summer time. You know where they wanna be on those cold winter days while they shoveling snow off their car? That's right! SOUTH BEACH!!!!

Last edited:
a little off topic but where the NYC NT that live in staten island..how is the rent over in that area and are yall ok with the commute in the city like Manhattan, Halem and Brooklyn. I feel that hour+ difference is not worthy to stay that far. Just want to know what others think

yeah so everybody be tanning and swimming by the Harlem River. FOH :rofl: :rofl:

Son forgot that there's no beach in da heights

Nobody forgot that there is no beach in da heights, I'm talking nightlife. In terms of bad latino joints just walking around it definitely rivals south beach, clearly nobody is tanning. But you see the same level of stunting and the same quality of broads. The only difference is the lambos, bentleys, ferraris, and phantoms you see out dycman aren't rented.

And the harlem river isn't even the river by the dyckman strip, it's the hudson. Get your rivers right b.

2j0xwuo.jpg

I'm from NY. But no way would I ever want to move back. Watched my moms worked day in and day out to pay for the $1200 two bedroom apartment that we stayed in. You literally get nothing for what you pay for. I'm genuinely convinced folks stay there for the sake of saying they live in New York.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!

is da rents that bad all throughout the city, even Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx? 

like if there were places within any of those areas that were reasonably priced and with maybe 40 mins of the city by train, id could see myself being happy...

Last edited:
Atlanta has no job opportunities. I've heard that from a number of people on here and those I know personally.

For my NJ dudes, can someone answer my Hoboken question. Cats is crazy to be moving to Newark just for cheaper rent. Worse than ENY tenfold.
Damn near impossible to find a job there. Housing and apartments are dirt dirt cheap. I mean you can buy a fairly new house slightly out of ATL for like 100k in a safe area. That should let you know how cheap an apartment is in ATL. But like Rell said, there is always no jobs. Its so hard to find a job out there.  Some yall be going overboard with the homo talk though. Its not like everybody in the city is a homo. NY probably has 10x the amount of **** as ATL does.
Really? I take the ATL police test this Friday....They always come to NYC looking for new recruits. They literally said they need "real men". Bad move? My girl graduated as well but if she won't be able to find a job around there I might as well relocate somewhere else.

is da rents that bad all throughout the city, even Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx? 

like if there were places within any of those areas that were reasonably priced and with maybe 40 mins of the city by train, id could see myself being happy...
So...You don't live in NYC? I mean if you want to come here and waste your money (Unless you're making almost 6 figures) I don't see why rent matters. You're wasting your money regardless.

So...You don't live in NYC? I mean if you want to come here and waste your money (Unless you're making almost 6 figures) I don't see why rent matters. You're wasting your money regardless.
correct, don't live there...but if the right opportunity came up and everything else was right, don't see why id turn it down...

correct, don't live there...but if the right opportunity came up and everything else was right, don't see why id turn it down...
Well, do as you please and live as you please. It's your money!

But everything is expensive now, even in the Bronx, boards are setting salary minimums at outrageous numbers, just for say, a $1200/month apartment. That way none of the minorities in NYC can afford it. Gentrification is real. But yea.

Last edited:
Well, do as you please and live as you please. It's your money!

But everything is expensive now, even in the Bronx, boards are setting salary minimums at outrageous numbers, just for say, a $1200/month apartment. That way none of the minorities in NYC can afford it. Gentrification is real. But yea.

NYC isn't the only city with 1200/month apartments though, you can't seriously think you can live in NYC, LA, Miami, etc big name cities for chump change.

1200 is cheap btw

Back
Top Bottom